Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AirPort Wierdness

AirPort Wierdness
biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 06:03 AM

My AirPort has got all messed up. I turn it on, it sees my router long enough to check mail but then after a few minutes the signal just disappears. Turning AirPort off and on doesn't help. Putting it to sleep and trying results in the same pattern of events, as does a restart. The problem persists with another user too.

I'm really quite annoyed by this. I know the router's fine since my fianc�e's PC works fine. I have this horrible feeling that the signal drops when ever I try to type, but I might be imagining that. I've tried MacJanitor and Repair Permissions, no joy.

Anyone else seen this kind of thing? I've got nothing funny installed other than SideTrack. I just hope to God it's not a hardware fault, although that is my instinct. Anyone know how the warranty on AirPort cards works? If it's the aerial in my out-of-warranty iBook, I take it I'm not covered.

Sorry, to be moany. This really is a PITA.

biscuit

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 07:06 PM

Try to put the screen at 90� (not more) and see if the signal stays strong... it might be the problem mentioned here .

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2004, 08:58 PM

You also could simply have a loose antenna connector on your AirPort card. They don't always stay solidly attached, so it wouldn't hurt to see if it isn't quite "right" before you start swapping cards. If you can push the antenna jack into the card, see if that fixes the problem before playing around with other cards.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 01:48 PM

the waranty on the airport card is 1 year from date of purchase and if you are near an apple retail store you could do a waranty swap there and you could even bring your system there and use their airport to see if it is your system or your base station at home.

you can try resetting the PMU on your system to see if that resolves the issue check HERE and pick your computer.

It is also possible that you are having an issue with interference since the airport works on 2.4GHz it can happen (had a customer with a baby monitor that totaly blocked her signal) so I would make sure you don't have ANY 2.4GHz devices even powered up and preferable be in the same room with the base station to test it.

Now if it did turn out to be your comp even out of waranty, if there is no accidental damage the price would be about $348.95 + local taxes

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the replies people, I thought I had e-mail alerts on but I obviously don't. Anyway, I digress.

The AirPort came back to life over the weekend and was working fine until this morning, when it dropped the connection again displaying the same symptoms. I did try moving the screen about and gave the card a poke but it seems to make no difference.

Unfortunately there isn't an Apple Retail Store in London (yet ) but at least the card it still under warranty. I definitely can't afford the price if it's not covered though. I think I'll be buying AppleCare in future, as this sort of thing seems to happen to me a lot

Thanks again for the ideas, I'll give the PMU reset a go.

biscuit

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 07:03 PM

if you are going to purchase AppleCare make sure you purchase with in the first year since you are only elligable durring the warranty period

biscuit  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 07:22 AM

I tried the PMU reset, didn't make any difference. What's bothering me now is that there seems to be no real pattern. The other day I wasn't even touching the machine and it dropped the connection. I'd have thought that if the aerial or something were wonky it'd manifest when I moved the screen or hit a key or something. Apparently not. Could it be a software thing after all? Worth the hassle of a reinstall to find out maybe?

Tried removing and replacing the AirPort card too, no effect at all.

biscuit

Forum Links
Forum Rules