Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G3 or G4

G3 or G4
ww2junkie42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 06:49 PM

I was interested in buying an ibook but I have a couple of questions.

Which one is for me? I am going to be doing word processing, email, internet, listening to music, and maybe some photoshop.

Does the G3 have a slot loading drive? I was interested in the 900mhz 12in combodrive ibook.

Is the g4 worth the extra money?

Thanks for the replies

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2004, 07:12 PM

If you can afford it get the G4.
It will be a better investment then buying a G3.

tubalawyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 07:16 PM

I just got the iBook G3 900 this weekend. I'm on a bit of a budget, & though I was drooling (and still will drool) over the Powerbooks, this iBook is pretty groovy & seems to be more than enough for school notes & web surfing.

I do think that it's cryin out for more memory, but i think 128MB will hold me until i get a tax refund!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 07:26 PM

I would say that the majority of people here will say go for the G4 iBook. There are a few ways to look at the whole G3 or G4 question.

For what you want to use it for, both will do the job. If cost is a factor the G3 is the way to go since you can get a new G3 900 for $799 with education discount through Apple. You can get one through another reseller with some extra options like free Airport for the same price (can't remember which one though). There are some programs like Final Cut Express 2 and Soundtrack that require a G4. Some of the options with GarageBand need a G4. The G3 has USB 1.1 where the G4 has USB 2.0. The G3's hard drive is 10GB larger than the stock G4 800's. The G4 will "probably" be more useful longer since it does have a G4 even though it is the bottom of the line G4 being produced. The G3 iBooks are plagued with logic board problems. Airport for the G3 is cheaper but slower. The G4 uses Airport Extreme which is alot faster but a few dollars more.

I have the G3 900 like the one you mentioned. It is running Panther and I have maxed out the memory and it runs like a champ. I use it for everything you have stated you would use it for and have no problems. I had a iBook 700 before this one and never had a problem.

Whichever you choose would be a great choice in my opinion. Myself, I went for the G3 to save money and for the reason that I don't need a G4 in a laptop. The overall cost difference isn't that much but when you are on a budget that little bit counts for a lot.

dcolton
Banned
Feb 16, 2004, 01:18 PM

I'll keep it simple. The G3 is a peice of ****. They are plagued with a logic board that fails without any rhyme or reason. It is pretty pitiful that Apple is still selling the G3 despite the fact that they acknowledge that there is an issue with the logic board. Save yourself the trouble and get the G4...or better yet, get a PC and save yourself the heartache of dealing with Apple and the Steve Jobs loving cult members who treat apples like indians treat cows!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
I'll keep it simple. The G3 is a peice of ****. They are plagued with a logic board that fails without any rhyme or reason. It is pretty pitiful that Apple is still selling the G3 despite the fact that they acknowledge that there is an issue with the logic board. Save yourself the trouble and get the G4...or better yet, get a PC and save yourself the heartache of dealing with Apple and the Steve Jobs loving cult members who treat apples like indians treat cows!
You talk as if all G3 iBooks fail. They don't. A certain percentage of them do, but not all. Considering how many they sold, I bet it's a fairly small percentage. Regardless, his machine will be under warranty for a year, so he'll be covered should he get unlucky.

dcolton
Banned
Feb 16, 2004, 02:41 PM

I know...the logic board replacement program is just a sign of only a few iBooks having logic board issues. I take it back...Apple is a great company who will spen millions of dollars replacing logic boards on G3 iBooks because they love their customers so much. And they are so great, they will refund the cost of a logic board replacement because there are only a very small % of iBook owners who have this problem. The threat of lawsuits and a major backlash had nothing to do with their benevolent decision to cover their ass. Get the G3...it is great and despite the replacement program, it is a near perfect computer without any known flaws.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 03:39 PM

I know...the logic board replacement program is just a sign of only a few iBooks having logic board issues. I take it back...Apple is a great company who will spen millions of dollars replacing logic boards on G3 iBooks because they love their customers so much. And they are so great, they will refund the cost of a logic board replacement because there are only a very small % of iBook owners who have this problem. The threat of lawsuits and a major backlash had nothing to do with their benevolent decision to cover their ass. Get the G3...it is great and despite the replacement program, it is a near perfect computer without any known flaws.
ww2junkie42 posted some questions and everyone who replied had reasonable answers but you. Why don't you back up some of your bi*ching with some answers to the problem instead of making yourself look like a total idiot.

Apple did the right thing by giving the extension on the logic boards. I don't see them covering their a**. I see them admiting there is a problem and doing what they can to fix it. I think that the 3 year extension is a good mark because a computer gets a ton of use in that amount of time. What are you looking for? A 10 year extension?

If you read in there Applecare Document that was released it states:

The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

In other words if their is significant evidence that other iBooks outside the listed serial # range are affected the program will be extended to include them.

You can read the full document on Apple's website under the Hot News catagory.

You look at this from such a simple minded point of view. Apple is a large company and Steve Jobs doesn't make ALL the decisions. They have investers to deal with and a "board of directors" to contend with. Steve Jobs may be the CEO but his job is not secure. He can be replaced at any time.

Lastly, tell me of a line of computers from any company "without any known flaws". If you can find one let me know. I will go out tomorrow and get one.

dcolton
Banned
Feb 16, 2004, 04:25 PM

So my reply wasn't reasonable because I disagree with you? Explain that please. The G3 iBook has logic board issues...is that not true? What, do you want me to tell this guy that it is a great computer...knowing that there is a logic board issue? My moral compass does not allow me to do that...what about yours?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 04:39 PM

So my reply wasn't reasonable because I disagree with you? Explain that please. The G3 iBook has logic board issues...is that not true? What, do you want me to tell this guy that it is a great computer...knowing that there is a logic board issue? My moral compass does not allow me to do that...what about yours?
If you read my first post I did mention the logic board problem. I didn't try to convience the original poster one iBook was better than the other. I tried to give pros and cons of each.

What did you do? You filled 2 posts with bashing Apple and sarcasm. Did that answer anything? Is doing this a reasonable answer to someones question? I don't think so.

dcolton
Banned
Feb 16, 2004, 04:57 PM

Your right.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 08:36 PM

ww2junkie42,

I would recommend you the G4 Ibook. Even though the G3 can perform what you want it to do, it has proven to be unreliable to a certain % of its owners. This unreliability comes from their logic board and/or their batteries. I would recommend you check the apple forums .. apple.com.. go to support then discussion boards then to Ibook and then select Dual USB..afterwards go to Usage and read a few.

In Apple's favor they have brought up a logic board replacement program were they will change it for free if it falls into a certain range of serial number.

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't acquired the G3 just for the simple reason that it may fail and I would loose my time, my sleep and whatever work it could relate from the use of that Ibook. In other words, I would loose any trust I would have on it.

If you can live with that caveat, then I guess the G3 would be a good purchase.

good luck,

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by polendo:
ww2junkie42,

I would recommend you the G4 Ibook. Even though the G3 can perform what you want it to do, it has proven to be unreliable to a certain % of its owners. This unreliability comes from their logic board and/or their batteries. I would recommend you check the apple forums .. apple.com.. go to support then discussion boards then to Ibook and then select Dual USB..afterwards go to Usage and read a few.

In Apple's favor they have brought up a logic board replacement program were they will change it for free if it falls into a certain range of serial number.

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't acquired the G3 just for the simple reason that it may fail and I would loose my time, my sleep and whatever work it could relate from the use of that Ibook. In other words, I would loose any trust I would have on it.

If you can live with that caveat, then I guess the G3 would be a good purchase.

good luck,
now I hate to say it but just because SOME people have issues doesn't mean EVERYBODY has issues...personaly I have an iBook that falls into this range and have NEVER had a problem with it and it gets opened and closed several times every day...yes SOME have a problem...should that be a determination to not buy a G3..not a chance...it is still a very good product and does the job....now IF it does fail it will be repaired...no biggie

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by tubalawyer:
I do think that it's cryin out for more memory, but i think 128MB will hold me until i get a tax refund!
While you are adding RAM, you might as well max it out. You only have one RAM slot. If you decide you need more later, you will be replacing the module. You DEFINITELY need more than 128.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ww2junkie42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 12:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still deciding. Another question though. Does the G3 have a slot loading drive? It's not a huge deal but it is kinda nice to have.

tubalawyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 12:15 AM

mine's got the tray drive.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by ww2junkie42:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still deciding. Another question though. Does the G3 have a slot loading drive? It's not a huge deal but it is kinda nice to have.
I believe all the G3 models have a tray.

Regarding the RAM issue mentioned above, I heartily agree. I was running my new 12" iBook G4 for about a month on only 256MB, and it felt far, far slower than my old 800MHz iBook G3 with 640MB. It was even slower than my beige G3/300 running Jaguar, at least when the iBook was paging out constantly and the G3 wasn't. Now that I'm back up to 640MB the iBook G4 flies. Bottom line: Max out your RAM.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by gigglebyte:
....now IF it does fail it will be repaired...no biggie
I totally agree with you, except this part. But then again, for some it is no big problem to send back the computer and get it fixed.

Some of us value a great deal to have it running flawlessy without loosing time. Hey, some people even depend on it for a living... so imagine loosing time, information or whatever relates from that! I'm not up to that.

Actually my Ibook is like yours. Is within the range of the serial numbers, and I haven't had a problem yet. Unfortunately, I can't take for granted that I won't have a problem with the logic board, making it a computer which won't be used for "important" purposes for me. Wish I could, but I won't take that risk.

regards

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 08:02 AM

If you are on a budget, consider the option where you can at least afford som extra ram on the go. Ram means more than the cpu especially with the amount you find in the stock modell. Good luck.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

ww2junkie42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2004, 09:33 PM

Another question. About how long do you get for battery life on the G3 900mhz 12in if I were to be using it for internet browsing, email, and music? Will it last through a 2.5 hour movie? It says up to five hours but I'm sure it won't go that long.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 10:10 PM

Another question. About how long do you get for battery life on the G3 900mhz 12in if I were to be using it for internet browsing, email, and music? Will it last through a 2.5 hour movie? It says up to five hours but I'm sure it won't go that long.
Only speaking from an iBook/700 owner, I usually get around/almost 4 hours of battery life. I made it though Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (not extended version) with my screen dimmed to half brightness.

My two bits: go for the iBook/G4. All the iApps run more smoothly with a G4. It has a better graphics chipset, USB 2.0, AirPort Extreme, faster system bus, and greater maximum memory (albeit a gig chip is a bit expensive right now).

Either way, really, you won't go wrong.

Have fun

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2004, 12:23 AM

I know not all iBook owners see any problems. Last year, after six months of bashing my head against the brick wall that is MicroCenter, they replaced my first iBook. Repeat problems with the logic board, screen, hard drive, trackpad, the works. They gave me store credit for my original purchase price, and I like a chump turned around and bought a 900mhz G3 iBook. Big step up from my old iBook at the time.

Cruising along today at work, suddenly the video goes haywire, hard drive stops. I manage a reboot, but sadly try to repair permissions etc. instead of backing up a few files to the iPod. Then startup chime but no video, hard drive hits intermittently and then stops. Fortunately I'm within an easy drive of an Apple Store. 10 minutes of testing and it's being sent away for a logic board and anything else.

I'm not really a road warrior. Nice to do some Photoshop, some mobile recording. I generally use it to write on. What I need most is for it not to tank on me every couple months, kill my data and hit my productivity. I don't intend to buy another iBook, and I don't have much confidence in the PowerBooks either. Argue all you like, but burn me twice...
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 12:30 AM

On my 900 I don't have a problem with getting 2.5 hours of DVD play time. That's with the screen at or almost at full brightness.

For everydays tasks I usually get between 3-4 hours depending on screen brightness. That is the only power management that I do on battery power. You could probably get more if you took extra steps to conserve.

When Apple says "up to" 5 hours, they are timing the laptop while it's doing nothing and everything turned down as far a they can get it. At least that is probably the only way that I would get 5 hours.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 02:45 PM

On a 700 MHZ G3, I can get easily 4:45 real hours on light use. Nevertheless the time indicator is all screwed up and changes constantly. I try to use the % indicator.

Sorry to hear druber. Mine hasn't failed yet, but is obvious I can't trust it. I'm waiting another year of use (if it lasts), and then get other laptop which I could trust.

ww2junkie42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 03:15 AM

I really like the deal at smalldog for a G3/800/640mb/CD-ROM/40gig/airport but is there anywhere I can get a decent Combo drive for it for about 100-150?

EDT:I would need that combo drive to be internal to replace the CDROM drive

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 04:36 AM

G4 all the way. Not that G3's are bad machines because they're not, but I see G3's being obsolete in 1.5 years time. For now it will do what you want it to, but who knows what your needs will be in a few years time. Your always best getting as much computer as you could afford. If a G4 is within reach, then by all means go for it and get it, and if your lookin for upgrades but are on a budget. Make sure you get a HD upgrade, b4 anything else, to atleast 40 but 60 would be ideal. Dont worry bout the RAM right away, you could always install it later, same with Airport Extreme. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy, but I think you'll be much happier with a G4.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 12:39 PM

The only place that I know of right off hand is MCE Technology. They charge a huge price of $379. Here is the link:

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...ode=IBOOKDVDR2

You would be better off buying one with a Combo drive already installed.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 01:57 PM

I really like the deal at smalldog for a G3/800/640mb/CD-ROM/40gig/airport but is there anywhere I can get a decent Combo drive for it for about 100-150?

EDT:I would need that combo drive to be internal to replace the CDROM drive
check the special deals section of the Apple Store. You'll see the combo drive with a refurb 900 mhz G3. Comes with 9.22 AND 10.2.4 AND Panther update.

Alternatively, check expercom.com (don't have any deals at present, but keep checking.)

Buy your Applecare (within the first year) either from expercom.com or from smalldog.com

ww2junkie42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2004, 05:32 PM

Hmm...I went to crucial to look for RAM upgrades and the G3 ram cost more than the G4. Does anyone know why this is?

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 10:19 PM

Wait for the G5 iBook

Nah, go for the G4, it costs more but has more value.

Miles Davis
Mar 2, 2004, 11:07 AM

I'm finding myself in the same boat, G3 or G4, I would love a G4, but I am on a budget as well, selling my iMac for an iBook... Anyhow Isn't the L2 Cache smaller in the G4? How does that affect performance?

mishap
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 12:08 PM

I prefer the look of the older G3 ibooks (metal hinge) to the new G4 ones. I have the last ibookG3 to have the clearer outer shell and metal hinge. If you can pick one of these up and dont need a G4...you may as well for aesthetic reasons.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 08:17 PM

Hmm...I went to crucial to look for RAM upgrades and the G3 ram cost more than the G4. Does anyone know why this is?
My guess is that most computers made today will be using DDR memory (as the iBook G4 uses), so as a type of RAM has less demand, it's price will increase because they won't make as many so the cost to run the machines or to handle the memory is spread out over fewer pieces (something to do with supply and demand).
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

ww2junkie42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 09:13 PM

I don't know anymore!!!! I was leaning toward the G3 because I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. But now I'm reading that the G4 iBook's might be upgraded soon. If they are, how low do you think the price will go down on the G4/800mhz/12"? I would really like to get a G4. What do you all think I should do?

BTW: I read about updates here. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=203927

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 08:32 PM

The iBook G3 is a decent machine (logic board issues aside). It probably performs equally to G4s in the same megahertz category in most applications. The only benefits I really see with G4 (having Altivec) is that I notice Mac OS X's UI to be much more fluid, and that Altivec-enhanced applications will definitely perform.

However, as with any system running Mac OS X, I'd recommend nothing less than 384MB of RAM. I'm still at 256MB (stock RAM on iBook G4/12"), but I'm definitely going to max it out the soonest I can. Heck, if only I could afford a 1GB DIMM I would.

As for the update? Well, everyone's hoping that the PowerBooks are the first to go, since they seem to be "long overdue" for one. But you know the trade-off for waiting: you'll never really know what's coming. If you need your iBook now, buy it, then sell it if you think newer models are a much better deal. Now if you can afford to wait... you'll probably never get one you like.

ww2junkie42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2004, 02:07 AM

Ok now a question about OS X.

What kind of word processor does it come with? Is it compatible to transfer files from the word processor to Microsoft Word on a PC, or would I need to buy Office OS X?

If I do make the switch it will probably be with the G3, something not too expensive. The price just went down on the G3/640mb/800mhz/12/airport at smalldog, so that means i can get it sooner. I don't really need a G4, except for if I wanted to play games, but hey, thats why I have my PC.

Again, thanks everyoen for all of your great responses.

jade408
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2004, 03:35 AM

The ibook comes with appleworks. A very similar program to Microsoftworks, and it will open and save word and excel files. The textedit program will also open and save basic word files. All macs come with a 30-day trial of office x.

http://www.apple.com/appleworks/

adamjh
Mar 5, 2004, 12:16 PM

I don't know anymore!!!! I was leaning toward the G3 because I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. But now I'm reading that the G4 iBook's might be upgraded soon. If they are, how low do you think the price will go down on the G4/800mhz/12"? I would really like to get a G4. What do you all think I should do?

BTW: I read about updates here. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=203927
Advice: Don't pay too much attention to the rumor mill. The G4 iBook could be updated tomorrow, in two months, or in six months. Nobody really knows. I have a G4/933 iBook, and it has been great. No problems, solid build, great overall product. iApps very good as well, but Appleworks still sucks. Good luck!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by jade408:
The ibook comes with appleworks. A very similar program to Microsoftworks, and it will open and save word and excel files. The textedit program will also open and save basic word files. All macs come with a 30-day trial of office x.

http://www.apple.com/appleworks/
Just to add to jade408's post:

If you save a doc in AppleWorks the best thing I have found to do is use Rich Text Format (RTF). That way you are almost guaranteed that the file will open in Office. You might lose some of the formatting in the process though.

AppleWorks is a good program but it really hasn't been updated lately. Office v.x is definately a better program in my opinion and offers 100% (so they say) compatibility with Office on the PC. If you don't need Office, don't waste the money unless you can get the student/educator discount. the 30 test drive will probably get you hooked

ww2junkie42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 10:42 PM

I encountered my first problem with a mac. My friend emailed me a word document that was written and saved by his mac (he has Appleworks). I couldn't open it using my PC If I do make the switch I guess I'll have to spend the extra money so my word documents will be compatible with PC.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 10:49 PM

I encountered my first problem with a mac. My friend emailed me a word document that was written and saved by his mac (he has Appleworks). I couldn't open it using my PC If I do make the switch I guess I'll have to spend the extra money so my word documents will be compatible with PC.
did you add .doc to the end of the document? sometimes that is all the pc needs to know what program to open the file with.

ww2junkie42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 10:57 PM

Ok well my friend resent me the email saving the document as a .doc. I can open it just fine with ms word.

Forum Links
Forum Rules