Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Key Removal

iBook Key Removal
xmishx
Feb 23, 2004, 08:55 PM

Is there a simple way of removing the keys on the keyboard? I spilt coffee on it and I need to clean the underside of my 700 MHz.

Thanks,

X

cryon
Feb 24, 2004, 06:57 AM

yeah, first there is a screw between the F5 and F6 key. turn that 180 degrees (i think) and pull back the "things" between esc and F1, and between F11 and F12.

Then you can gently remove the keyboard. This is all illustrated in the manual in a very simple way. Read that chapter before trying and nothing can go wrong
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2004, 11:41 AM

that will remove the keyboard but not the keys which is what they wanted to know...I can tell you it isn't hard but you have to be VERY carefull or you will break them and not be able to get them back on....I would take a flat head screw driver and gently pry them up...there are going to be 2 plastic spring like things on the bottom of the keys that go into little plastic clips and if either of those break you are screwed so be very carefull when doing this...to get them back on you just line up the clips and push the key down and with any luck you shoud hear them snap into place
iBook 14" G4 933, 640Meg, 60GB, BT, APX

xmishx  (op)
Feb 24, 2004, 01:46 PM

Yeah, those X'es look pretty fragile. Unless someone knows of a more full proof way of removing them, I may just have to deal with those coffee stains.

Thanks,

X

cryon
Feb 24, 2004, 06:37 PM

ops. got it all wrong :/
don't have a clue on how to remove the keys. sorry
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

Forum Links
Forum Rules