Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Temperature monitoring app.?

Temperature monitoring app.?
Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 04:09 PM

Hi,

I'm a switcher and a happy owner of a stunning macbook pro 15inch C2D 2.16 ghz, my first mac experience ever and loving every second of it.

The only complaint i have is that it runs VERY hot to the point that i cannot put it on my lap.

1- is this normal
2- is there a widget or an application i can use to monitor the temperature? i installed istat nano and istat pro but it says temperature sensor not available...

Thanks

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 04:12 PM

That's odd. iStat Pro should work.
Try Temperature Monitor: Description

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 04:18 PM

iStat Nano and Pro require Speedit to sense hea in intel Macs. CoreDuoTemp will put the temp in the menu bar. Also, iy is normal for it to get hot, but how hot is it?

Berberman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the link. here is what it shows:
CPU A temp diode: 58 degrees C
CPU Core 1: 54 C
CPU Core 2: 54 C
all the rest is between 36 and 51

Is this normal? i'm running a lot of application actually...

Strange istat pro doesnt work...does it work for you guys?

Berberman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 04:39 PM

this is what i found here: SpeedIt - Trac
Important flaw on Core Duo Processors ΒΆ

Some of the users of SpeedIt reported a bug related to the readout of the temperature, we have been tested the digital readout and we discovered that the problem is related to a bug in the microprocessor.

The bug is documented by Intel and happend only in some processors and is the following:

AE18 Processor Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) Readout stops updating upon returning from C3/C4 state. (Source Intel Corp.)

If this is your case, we recomend to go to Apple to verify your computer, because in case of thermal problems the processor will never get protected. If you need further information contact us at [email protected] or [email protected].

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 03:13 AM

where do you put the kernel file for the speedlt kernel.?
yea i know noob question.
thanks

Berberman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 01:21 PM

Dunno actually i gave up on speedit and got temperature monitor

Mactivist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 02:14 PM

You really should install the FanControl application. Apple's RPM settings for fan speed is around 1000 RPM and that lets the machine get uncomfortably warm. It won't hurt the computer but it's not a pleasant experience. FanControl will let you set a range of temperatures to keep the Mac operating within. I find that to keep mine around 40C under normal browsing use the RPMs jump to about 2500. Not loud at all. Under heavy load they jump to over 4000 RPM.

Here's an O'Reilly blog link: Loving that Fan Control - O'Reilly Mac DevCenter Blog

fuzzball963
Banned
Nov 18, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mactivist View Post
You really should install the FanControl application. Apple's RPM settings for fan speed is around 1000 RPM and that lets the machine get uncomfortably warm. It won't hurt the computer but it's not a pleasant experience. FanControl will let you set a range of temperatures to keep the Mac operating within. I find that to keep mine around 40C under normal browsing use the RPMs jump to about 2500. Not loud at all. Under heavy load they jump to over 4000 RPM.

Here's an O'Reilly blog link: Loving that Fan Control - O'Reilly Mac DevCenter Blog
Well after running temperature monitor my average system temp is 60-70C at idle and up to 90C or even 95 when doing stuff like watching Quicktime HD videos or editing. The external bottom sensor is about 40C consistantly.

Are these results normal? I'm running a Macbook Pro core duo 2.1Ghz and 1GB RAM with the 100GB 7200 RPM drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules