Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > how to share folder on parallel?

how to share folder on parallel?
Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2007, 06:45 PM

I'm running Parallels 3
1-How do I share a folder on both system?
2-Can Picassa 'watch' a folder on OSX?
3-Any tips on sharing the internet connection i have on OSX?

Thanks

Berberman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2007, 06:46 PM

Another question also:
Is there a way to change the desktop icons size?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2007, 06:55 PM

1) Parallels has a "Parallels Shared Folder" feature. Use that.

2) Don't know nuthin' about Picassa

3) Good question. What do you mean about sharing your Internet connection? Parallels virtualizes your network adapters, so you can surf under the VM's OS just as easily as you can in OS X. If you're wondering about sharing your Internet connection with another computer, the "best" way to do that is with an inexpensive router-and you should ask about that in our Networking forum.

Change icon size in which OS? You can do that from the XP desktop, as per the following instructions from this helpful page (which was a simple Google search away):
1. Right Click Desktop + Choose “Properties”
2. In the Properties Window click on the “Appearance Tab” at the top.
3. In the Appearance Window click on the button called “Advanced”
4. In the Advanced Appearance Window choose “Item:” from the drop down list and choose “Icon” and you can choose desired Icon size. By default many users will see 32 x 32 pixels but this can be changed to whatever you want.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 07:20 PM

Presumably the answer to 2 is yes providing the folder is in the parallels shared folder!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Berberman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2007, 05:28 AM

I do have a shortcut called 'parallels shaed folder' on my windows desktop, however when i try to open it it says '\\.psf not accessible'

I did create a shared folder on the old version of Parallels which i could run and which I can still see under the name 'shared mac pc on .psf' but when i click on it a window opens saying: connecting to .psf and prompting me for a password...

Berberman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 02:23 PM

Anyone knows what the .psf is about?

gregsing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2007, 11:11 AM

Actually I have the same issue as you. I previously ran Parallel 2.5 and everything was smooth and fine. I upgraded to 3.0 and that is just a nightmare.... I have drivers issues , video , API, DVD-R.... and the same issue. I can not access anymore files from PSF folder. The system prompt me for a Password which I have no clue what it is . I have tried my login password and the usual admin, pass, password, public names, none of them work. If you found the solution to your problem, please let me know, I cam getting nuts....
Greg

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2007, 09:45 PM

The Parallels Shared Folder takes some setup. Read the Parallels help on it for details. Once you set it up (basically telling Parallels where on your OS X partition to share that data), it's very user friendly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules