Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Did you get your bribe?

Did you get your bribe?
Thorzdad
Apr 17, 2020, 04:18 PM

Just checked and it looks like our “stimulus” money dropped on Wednesday. Woohoo!
We’ll have to claim it as income next year, right?

reader50
Administrator
Apr 17, 2020, 04:26 PM

Mine arrived yesterday by direct deposit. Or cleared yesterday. I figure they'll tax it as income, but Congress has all year to decide that.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 17, 2020, 06:29 PM

I thought a bit more about it. Ours came as a single lump sum, and not two individual deposits. The deposit was earmarked as something like a tax refund (can’t recall the actual wording) so I’m thinking it isn’t going to be handled as income.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2020, 08:52 PM

If I did, they would have screwed up, which is not outside the realm of possibilities.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2020, 12:50 PM

Ours showed up by direct deposit. We’re in a position to help our son and his wife keep a roof over their heads and keep their health insurance running, so that “bribe” is sitting there, ready if needed.

Since I’m “on vacation” at the moment, I’m still getting paid - a little better than if I was working normally, since I typically would get 36 - 38 hours per week instead of 40. But when I go back to work, it won’t be nearly as “full time” as typical.

I work in a rehab hospital, and much of our patient population is usually folks who have had “elective” joint replacements (if “you really should have had this done ten years ago” qualifies as “elective”). Now, the place is running at about 50% patient load, but those patients are really, really sick, or really, really bad off from a stroke or such.

So fewer, but much more challenging patients, with the staff working fewer hours so everybody gets as close to “enough hours” as possible. In a way, having to deal with fewer hours isn’t such a bad thing. Nobody’s furloughed, but there’s a huge element of burnout when you work with really, really badly impaired patients.

So anyway, when I’m back, I’ll be pulling down probably less than 80% of my usual. Bottom line: my wife and I may need that $2400 ourselves.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 19, 2020, 03:34 PM

I had no federal refund the past two years, so they don't have my DD info. Their website wasn't able to find my info from 2019 and when I put in my 2018 info, it found me, but refused to let me submit my info because they "couldn't verify your identity." Guess I have to wait for a check in the mail. I hope they use my 2019 income, as I made more in 2018 so I'd be eligible for less.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 19, 2020, 05:43 PM

I have friends in the same boat, Laminar. They owed last year, so the gov't didn't have any direct deposit info for them. They're hoping to see a check eventually.

andi*pandi
Apr 19, 2020, 08:26 PM

My husband the libertarian prefers to pay than get a refund (why give govt a free loan), so we also have no DD bank info on file. We make under 150K, and have filed 2018, but the website says it can't tell if we qualify. :/

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2020, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I have friends in the same boat, Laminar. They owed last year, so the gov't didn't have any direct deposit info for them. They're hoping to see a check eventually.
Complete with Trumps elegant signature?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2020, 02:58 PM

Since our income isn’t particularly consistent (we are both paid hourly, and my “full time” job can range (in normal times) from 32 to 40+ hours each week), so we are happy to not have to deal with estimating how much to save for taxes, and simply get a modest to not-so-modest refund every year.

But with the expectation that we’ll get a refund, I typically calculate our taxes early in the year, so we can get that refund as soon as possible. Thus I filed near the beginning of February, and we got our (this time fairly modest) refund about two weeks later through direct deposit.

Our son and his wife, on the other hand, have more complex issues than we do. She qualifies as a “contractor,” while our son is hourly with a wide margin for normal hours. So they haven’t filed yet because they will pay some in taxes. And that means they - who really need the help - will have to wait longer for their “bribe.”

The “system” they used to figure out how to distribute this payment is flawed in many significant ways, but it seems to disproportionately delay payments to many people who are more impacted by being out of work or having their work curtailed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2020, 09:16 PM

I am fortunate enough to be working right now so I used my “bribe” as we are calling it as a way to rejoin the Mac world. The whole process was very smooth for me and I received it rather quickly but I have heard stories that say otherwise.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

reader50
Administrator
Apr 25, 2020, 11:05 PM

Just today, I received a letter from the IRS. Audit? Questions about my return? Turns out it's a congratulatory letter from Pres Trump about my bribe.

Apparently it exists solely so those of us with direct deposit will still get a copy of Trump's signature. Same as those getting checks.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 26, 2020, 08:44 AM

Was it signed with a Sharpie?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2020, 10:43 AM

How well does crayon photocopy?

reader50
Administrator
Apr 26, 2020, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Was it signed with a Sharpie?
Looks like it. The back side of the letter is an identical Spanish version.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2020, 11:10 PM

His signature has gotten to the point it needs a defibrillator.

andi*pandi
Apr 30, 2020, 12:18 PM

The IRS now recognizes that we deserve a bribe, if we give them our bank info.

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 30, 2020, 02:05 PM

Got my signed-with-a-sharpie letter today. My god, it's every bit as psychotic in-person as it is on screen.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2020, 05:50 PM

I almost can’t wait to get mine
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules