Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTools/iDisk stopped working...

iTools/iDisk stopped working...
booboo
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2001, 01:03 PM

Apologies if this has been covered to exhaustion....

Can anyone tell me why my iDisk should have stopped working? I've been unable to ever get it working on a couple of other computers, and was quite surprised when, a few months ago, I was able to get an account working on my G4 here at home.

What would happen is I'd enter my password, and after practically freezing my computer for the best part of 2 minutes, my iDisk would appear on the desktop. Painfully slow when opening windows, (approx one fifth the speed of say Transmit) and not too fast in file transfers (about 20K/s) which is about half what I usually expect...is this normal iDisk speed?

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago it just stopped working altogether. I've tried everything I can think of, including using Communicator!

Trying to log in no longer freezes up my machine, but iDisk no longer appears. The account name is blueintheface if anyone wants to try my Public Folder.

Maybe there's a really obvious reason for my problems, and I thank you for any help you can give.
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

WillyB
Jun 5, 2001, 01:49 PM

I loaded your public folder... but it says that there are ZERO items in it. Did you have something in there?
My public folder is billboswell. My iDisk seems to be working fine; as of 1:50 p.m. Eastern 6-5-01
So, it's not the iDisk server.
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2001, 08:48 PM

I had a similar problem not too long ago. My iDisk simply would not mount. My computer never froze, but when I went to iTools and logged in, then clicked "open my iDisk" nothing would happen. Clearly the button clicked and the page refreshed but that was all. I got the following from Apple's Support Discussions:

<font color = red> In order for you to be able to mount your iDisk, the following extensions must be enabled:
- AppleShare
- Shared Library Manager
- Shared Library Manager PPC
</font>

Seems I had inadvertantly disabled one of these doing who-knows-what. It's worth a look.

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: rambo47 ]

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by rambo47:
<STRONG>

&lt;font color = red&gt; In order for you to be able to mount your iDisk, the following extensions must be enabled:
- AppleShare
- Shared Library Manager
&lt;/font&gt;

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: rambo47 ]</STRONG>
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately these Extension are enabled, so it's not this. I also downloadewd the iTools installer and tried re-installing. No change... I'm mystified.
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2001, 01:21 PM

rambo47
I had a similar problem not too long ago. My iDisk simply would not mount. My computer never froze, but when I went to iTools and logged in, then clicked "open my iDisk" nothing would happen. Clearly the button clicked and the page refreshed but that was all. I got the following from Apple's Support Discussions:
In order for you to be able to mount your iDisk, the following extensions must be enabled:
- AppleShare
- Shared Library Manager
Seems I had inadvertantly disabled one of these doing who-knows-what. It's worth a look.
Thanks a million! I peeked at this post for the same reason: my iDisk would not mount. I checked the above items, and I had inadvertantly disabled the AppleShare stuff somehow.
I reenabled them, and it works like a charm!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules