Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook won't chime or turn on.

Powerbook won't chime or turn on.
flypenfly
Oct 10, 2004, 04:56 PM

Specs:
15" AL 1.33ghz

So today, I moved the mouse to wake up my computer, screen was blank... nothing happened...

Okay, unplugged it, took the battery out, left it alone for 15min. Plugged it back in, green light was on the connector, turns on, great.

Had to set date and time

This happens again an hour later but it happens about five minutes after I hooked up the battery while it was running. Okay, well this is annoying, did the same procedure, doesn't turn on. Waited longer, still doesn't work, not even a chime. Tried to zap pram, nvram, nothing works...

Any ideas?

Btw, I'm using a MS Bluetooth mouse, used it for about 3 days now, seems to work ok... I hope its not related to this.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2004, 05:35 PM

i use a microsoft bluetooth mouse and haven't had any problems, so i don't think that's it.

have you reset your power management unit?

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

that may help. good luck...
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by benwhanlee:
i use a microsoft bluetooth mouse and haven't had any problems, so i don't think that's it.

have you reset your power management unit?

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

that may help. good luck...
the microsoft mouse thing doesn't make sense because it is like saying I use a powerbook too so the problem can't be the powerbook
other than that I fully agree with the pmu reset.

flypenfly  (op)
Oct 11, 2004, 10:28 AM

Just put it in at an apple authorized center... we'll see how it goes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules