Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > word processing applications

word processing applications
tether
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 02:30 PM

i just got a new powerbook and it doesnt seem to have much in the way of word processing applications. TextEdit doesnt seem too bad, though i havnt used it much, but it doesnt seem to have a word count tool, or a dictionary or thesaurus. what options would i have without spending money?

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2005, 03:15 PM

This forum has a nifty search function. I'd suggest you use it to search for threads discussing word processor applications. This has been discussed many times.

Obviously besides word itself there's a lot of different cheap wp apps. Mellel, Nisus Writer Express are two that I've used and liked.

But that said, TextEdit may be able to do what you need. Take a closer look at it. It's a bit more powerful than the SimpleText type app.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 05:16 PM

I like Pages

TextEdit like (almost) every other application has a dictionary and a thesaurus. Have a look at the context menu or press ⌃⌘D while hovering over a word.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 06:33 PM

Yes, what Tetenal said, or just load up the excellent Dictionary.app (it's in your App folder).

For word counts, check out the freeware counters here: http://macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=word%20count that add functionality to Textedit.
Personally I use WordService from Devon, here at the bottom:
http://www.devon-technologies.com/pr...e/services.php
It installs a service so it is accessible in most apps (including Safari, Pages etc). You just select the words to be counted, > app menu > services > statistics and there you have it. All for free too!

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 06:38 PM

There is also a sticky thread at the top of the forum called What application do I use if I need to....? which makes suggestions for various apps that you can use for particular needs. For some reason, mindwaves persists in keeping NeoOffice/J in the feeling geeky section instead of adding it to the Word processing/office section...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 10:57 PM

TextEdit on Tiger is quite robust and Apple offers a built-in dictionary/thesaurus on OS X. There's also a freeware app called Word Counter, if needed.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules