Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Is partitionning in a RAID possible???

Is partitionning in a RAID possible???
DeeKat
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2006, 03:19 PM

My main editing production drive is dead and I need a new one. I'm looking at the OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro 800 RAID MIRROR FW800/400.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...AL/MirrorRAID/

It's a RAID 1 for good redundancy and good read speed. My qestion is can you partition that kind of drive? In my old setup I have a single LaCie 300Gig drive partitioned in two : one 80G for a bootable back-up of my PB drive and the rest as scratch disks for FCP. I want to be able to do the same thing but get both partitions mirrored on the second drive of the array. So I end up actually having 2 back-up of my main PB drive and 1 of all my medias.

Any clues!?!

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2006, 12:04 PM

With a bit of research I answer my own post.
Well according to the this software I guest I can partition my RAID.

[www.softraid.com]

the last paragraph �SoftRAID 3 General Specifications� says :

�Allows you to create a mix of RAID volumes on the same disks.
Creates non-RAID volumes from single disks, or RAID 0 and RAID 1 volumes from 2 or more disks or parts of disks.�

It's come with the OWC Mercury Elite RAID

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2006, 11:27 AM

I was looking at that, it seams the controller can do hardware raid 0 but they use softraid for raid 1. aka software raid, I haven't checked on the protability of softraid array across machines/platforms but i'm fairly cetain it only works with Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules