Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > font issue

font issue
outthere
Nov 24, 2006, 05:25 PM

hi guys,
somehow my new MBP browsers (both safari and firefox) don't support vietnamese font, i've tried to change the text encoding to unicode and all, but that wont help. any advice? thanks
un jour,

[email protected]
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by outthere View Post
hi guys,
somehow my new MBP browsers (both safari and firefox) don't support vietnamese font, i've tried to change the text encoding to unicode and all, but that wont help. any advice? thanks
Could you provide the url? You should not have any problem unless the site is using a junk legacy "dynamic" font, in which case you would have to download and install it and switch to "user-defined" encoding.

outthere  (op)
Nov 25, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Could you provide the url? You should not have any problem unless the site is using a junk legacy "dynamic" font, in which case you would have to download and install it and switch to "user-defined" encoding.
hi,
here is the link: BBCVietnamese.com
the weird thing is that other vietnamese sites are displayed just fine, the problem just happens with some of them, i wonder if these sites use different kind of text encoding. mine is a brand new MBP C2D, and my friend's MB doesn't have any issue with this font things.
thank for your post, im going to try it
un jour,

[email protected]
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by outthere View Post
hi,
here is the link: BBCVietnamese.com
That site is a perfectly normal UTF-8 encoded site, and I can't imagine why it would not display correctly for you without any adjustments at all. Could you email me a screenshot of what you are seeing? Your type of machine should have nothing to do with this.

outthere  (op)
Nov 25, 2006, 07:21 PM

That site is a perfectly normal UTF-8 encoded site, and I can't imagine why it would not display correctly for you without any adjustments at all. Could you email me a screenshot of what you are seeing? Your type of machine should have nothing to do with this.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8802/picture4kn4.png
as you can see, some of those articles are displayed correctly, some are not, this is odd.
un jour,

[email protected]
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 11:30 PM

Thanks. My guess is that you have added fonts to your machine and one of them has the same name as that being called by the css of the bbc page, but it lacks the combining diacritics needed for the tone marks and thus these are appearing as square boxes (= character not in font). The solution would be to remove that font, but finding out which one it is would be tedious.

outthere  (op)
Nov 26, 2006, 01:09 AM

Thanks. My guess is that you have added fonts to your machine and one of them has the same name as that being called by the css of the bbc page, but it lacks the combining diacritics needed for the tone marks and thus these are appearing as square boxes (= character not in font). The solution would be to remove that font, but finding out which one it is would be tedious.
excellent guess, tom. i did add some fonts( to enable vietnamese keyboard layout) and things have happened since then. man,i now remember that, hahhah. well, im trying to remove that stuff for now. many thanks! at least i know wat went wrong.
un jour,

Forum Links
Forum Rules