Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > do it need to buy leopard?

do it need to buy leopard?
outthere
Sep 22, 2007, 06:18 PM

hi guys,
rookie here. i'm going to order a macbook for my sister sometime in November. the question is: can i technically use the cds that come with it to install leopard into my macbook pro? or do i have to buy it?
thanks a lot
un jour,

Cold Warrior
Sep 22, 2007, 07:03 PM

Lately, the Intel builds of 10.4 that come with new Macs are locked to that specific model, e.g., MacBook-only; iMac-only. I don't think anyone here knows yet how Apple will handle it with Leopard.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2007, 08:21 PM

I imagine they will stick with the system them use now, model specific install cds. Also, pirating OSX is bad Karma, and will likely lead to stupid OS activation crap if it happens too much.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Lately, the Intel builds of 10.4 that come with new Macs are locked to that specific model, e.g., MacBook-only; iMac-only. I don't think anyone here knows yet how Apple will handle it with Leopard.
It's been that way since long before the Intel switch.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 09:12 PM

Can it be done? Maybe.

Is it legal? No. You've licensed one copy for one machine.

Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2007, 09:48 PM

I doubt they'll change their model. Its the closest thing to software registering, and I'm glad they do it instead of 15,000 character codes.

outthere  (op)
Sep 22, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Can it be done? Maybe.
so there's hope, eh?

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Is it legal? No. You've licensed one copy for one machine.

anyway, i'll try and see if it works, otherwise, i'm buying it, i think i already fall in love with leopard
un jour,

OreoCookie
Sep 23, 2007, 02:47 AM

In order to run it legally, you need to buy Leopard, yes.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2007, 09:31 AM

Household licenses are very reasonably priced.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Household licenses are very reasonably priced.
Family Pack of Leopard will be $199 - 5 installs but limited to those actually residing in the residence. Not a bad deal at all at $39.80/copy.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2007, 12:34 PM

Yes, if you want to run Leopard then you either need to buy it or buy a new Mac when it comes pre-installed. It's very simple. Don't pirate software.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2007, 01:14 PM

I remember buying Tiger with Educational (student) price of $69 from Apple. Can't beat that.

Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2007, 01:15 PM

Why is the "student" price only for college students? What about high school or even middle school? A friend of mine is in his senior year at high school, and yet student discounts don't apply...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2007, 04:39 PM

The install disks that ship with machines are machine-specific, and won't install on other hardware. You'll need the retail version.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Family Pack of Leopard will be $199 - 5 installs but
limited to those actually residing in the residence
Not a bad deal at all at $39.80/copy.

How about across the street?

How about 5 houses up the block?

Does it really matter as long as the last names match?

How are they gonna enforce that? [lock a family pack to one address?]

Is that for real?
-HI-

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Why is the "student" price only for college students? What about high school or even middle school? A friend of mine is in his senior year at high school, and yet student discounts don't apply...
There was a high school discount until 2005, why it went away I have no clue. Luckily, my mom's a teacher, so I still get a discount

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
How about across the street?

How about 5 houses up the block?

Does it really matter as long as the last names match?

How are they gonna enforce that? [lock a family pack to one address?]

Is that for real?
They don't even enforce the one-computer restriction for the normal retail version. They're just trusting you to be honest. The only difference between the two versions (at least in the current incarnation) is the license included with the disk.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

outthere  (op)
Sep 24, 2007, 01:07 AM

yup,
i think the matter here is honesty, and loyalty (as some might call it)
i wonder if they'd offer any discount for stu. though. that 'd be nice.
un jour,

Mike.Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
The install disks that ship with machines are machine-specific, and won't install on other hardware. You'll need the retail version.

I wouldn't be 100% sure of that. I had some problems out of my Intel Mac Pro and Apple Care wanted to do an archive and reinstall, well the CD's that came with my Mac Pro weren't working, must have gotten a scratch or something, but it would always lock up at a specific section. So he asked if I had CD's for other Mac computers in the house that were Intel also. Which I have a MacBook and an iMac that are Intel also, so he said to just use one of those CD's and it worked perfectly.

MikeBowden.com: WordPress insights from a full-stack developer...

OreoCookie
Sep 24, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by outthere View Post
i wonder if they'd offer any discount for stu. though. that 'd be nice.
Yes, they do. There is the general student's discount (teachers and researchers are also eligible), but your university might have an additional agreement with Apple (like mine). We are allowed to distribute our own copies essentially (i. e. copy the DVDs), as long as we pay per used copy (which we do).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Because High School students aren't spending all their money on their education.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

outthere  (op)
Sep 24, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Yes, they do. There is the general student's discount (teachers and researchers are also eligible), but your university might have an additional agreement with Apple (like mine). We are allowed to distribute our own copies essentially (i. e. copy the DVDs), as long as we pay per used copy (which we do).
sweet, i'll check with my school and see. the library does have a session for mac users, so i think that'd not be a problem.
un jour,

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike.Bowden View Post
I wouldn't be 100% sure of that. I had some problems out of my Intel Mac Pro and Apple Care wanted to do an archive and reinstall, well the CD's that came with my Mac Pro weren't working, must have gotten a scratch or something, but it would always lock up at a specific section. So he asked if I had CD's for other Mac computers in the house that were Intel also. Which I have a MacBook and an iMac that are Intel also, so he said to just use one of those CD's and it worked perfectly.
Interesting. I've seen so many cases of people trying to use a Software install/restore that shipped with one machine on another model, without success. Maybe they haven't implemented the restrictions with the Intel version, for some reason. In any case, if I were going to pirate a copy from one machine to another, I would boot one in FW Target Disk Mode and clone the install. If.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

24klogos
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2007, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Interesting. I've seen so many cases of people trying to use a Software install/restore that shipped with one machine on another model, without success. Maybe they haven't implemented the restrictions with the Intel version, for some reason. In any case, if I were going to pirate a copy from one machine to another, I would boot one in FW Target Disk Mode and clone the install. If.
i agree

Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2007, 08:57 AM

I couldn't use install discs from a 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac on the exact same iMac, but the 2 GHz version. Given that, I'm amazed that it worked from MacBook to iMac.

GatorsFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2007, 09:56 AM

I've been buying software since the 1980s and have never seen an OS specific to different configurations of the same platform. "Tiger," for example, is for the Mac platform, period. If there was ever a "Tiger" specific to laptops, or to desktops, or to the Mini, I never saw it. I'd walk into the store, or go online, and there was OS X "Tiger," period.

Note: I'm not one who shares software, especially Apple software. Call it honesty, karma, or just plain loyalty but I've always said "You want it? Buy it."

As to Apple's policy on the use of a "Family Pack" for all of their software sold with more than one (1) license, here's what their site says:

"* Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users."
iMac 20"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by GatorsFan View Post
I've been buying software since the 1980s and have never seen an OS specific to different configurations of the same platform. "Tiger," for example, is for the Mac platform, period. If there was ever a "Tiger" specific to laptops, or to desktops, or to the Mini, I never saw it. I'd walk into the store, or go online, and there was OS X "Tiger," period.
That's a store-bought Mac OS X upgrade. Of course that will run on every Mac capable of running Mac OS X - with the notable exception of ALL Intel Macs, which, however, don't require upgrades, since they all come with 10.4 on the Software Restore Disks out of the box.

The Install discs that come with machines have not been universally bootable since AT LEAST the days of System 8 and their horrifying bouquet of "System Enablers".

If one can be used to boot and install on a different type of Mac, that's a rare exception.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2007, 03:24 PM

If you're buying the machine in November it will almost certainly have Leopard installed. Even if it's a refurb from Apple it should have. But if you buy a used machine with Tiger, you will have to get Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules