Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS9, Illustrator 9, and fonts

OS9, Illustrator 9, and fonts
tether
Forum Regular
May 21, 2008, 06:16 AM

Hi,

I still use Illustrator 9 on OS9. I tried to load some fonts - by dropping them into the system folder, and I clicked 'yes' when it asked do I want them to go into the right folder. Everything seemed ok, and the fonts seem to be in the font folder, but they don't show up in the fonts palette in Illustrator. I've tried restarting.

Any ideas why?

Thanks.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 06:33 AM

If they were TrueType fonts, then it should have worked. But with PostScript fonts there are two parts, printer and screen. Any idea which ones you have?

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2008, 09:13 PM

i dont know, but when i display them as icons, some of them have LWFN on them, others have FFIL on them and others just have a large 'A' on them. Does that offer any clues?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 09:34 PM

Oh boy... LWFN is Laser Writer FoNt and they are the printer fonts necessary for a job to print to a PostScript printer or to create an EPS file. It needs the corresponding FOND file to display on the screen. You can't realistically work without both, that is how Type 1 PostScript fonts work. FFIL files are related to screen fonts, but I can't remember the last time I ran into one of them.
Do you have a client who is trying to torture you?!
;-)

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
May 22, 2008, 10:57 AM

i'm torturing myself.

From what you say, sherman, it sounds like the fonts should still appear in the character palette in Illustrator, though I guess the LWFN ones wouldnt work on screen properly anyway.

Thing is, they don't even display as options in the palette - could that be anything to do with some conflict between OSX and OS9? - I'm loading the fonts for Illustrator 9 which I'm running on OS9.

- the fonts appeared to go in properly - I dropped them over the System Folder

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 22, 2008, 11:07 AM

Will your Mac boot System 9? I don't mean booting in OS X and then going into Classic mode, I mean real live System 9. I wonder if the fonts appear correctly there, the FFIL files are completelly off of my radar, google them, they seem to be off of everyone else's too!

Forum Links
Forum Rules