Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > making nano work through car stereo

making nano work through car stereo
tether
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2005, 04:11 PM

can i work my nano through a car stero? if so how? it'll be a car rental so i cant go and fiddle with it to suss it out now.
ta.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 06:47 PM

If there's a cassette deck in the car, any Adapter made for a discman will work - it just uses the headphone output to connect to the stereo. Might be tough to find in a rental car these days though.

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2005, 08:50 PM

I've got the Monster iCarPlay (?) and I really like it; it connects to the dock port of the iPod and the other end to a 12 volt cigarette-lighter port. It both keeps the iPod charged and transmits the iPod output to an FM frequency. For travel, the charging feature is good and compatibility with various cars shouldn't be a problem, but if you're in major urban areas you may find that it's difficult to find a good FM frequency to use.

I've got an older model with 8 station presets--there's a newer version with a digital tuner, which may work better than the one I've got. The older one works fine for me as it is, the sound quality is good, and they run about $50--you may find it for less on Amazon.com, etc. through resellers.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 23, 2005, 12:03 PM

I use a DLO Transpod for my iPod. [link]. It's great if you purchase something like a Nano and decide to upgrade to a full-size iPod later on, because it has adapters that fit all iPods - even the Mini. I originally purchased it for my Mini, but knew I'd probably upgrade sooner or later, so this was the best alternative in my mind. It fit my 4G 20GB (color) perfectly, and it also fits my new 5G 30GB precisely. They include a BUNCH of extensions with the packaging, so no matter where your 12V cigarette lighter is, you'll be able to utilize it and have your iPod right in front of you. They even include some accessories that allow you to attach it to your dashboard, if you so desire.

Forum Links
Forum Rules