Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > apple pro speakers

apple pro speakers
tether
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 08:55 AM

i'm going to sell my iMac and keep my powerbook - i want to keep my apple pro speakers that came with the iMac to use on with my powerbook (i think they're called apple-pro-speakers - small round white speakers that plug into my iMac but not into anything else)
i posted before and somebody said there's a dongle type thing i can get to plug the speakers into my powerbook using the firewire port. i just want to check:
1. - are there any disadvantages to using the pro speakers on my powerbook - for example will they use lots of battery power, or other disadvantages?
2. - is there any way i can plug my pro speakers into my ipod nano?
thanks.

Ric_D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2006, 09:08 AM

I recently did the exact same thing -- I bought a new 15" PowerBook, retired my flat-panel iMac and kept the Apple Pro speakers because I liked the looks and the sound. I bought a Griffin iFire so I could use the speakers with my PowerBook. The iFire is basically a mini-amplifier (because the Apple Pro speakers need to be powered). It gets the audio signal from your PowerBook's headphone jack and power from your FireWire port.

So, to answer your questions, I see no ill battery effects, but I only use the Apple Pro speakers when my PowerBook is plugged in, so I probably wouldn't see any. To get the iFire to work with the Nano, you'd have to figure out a way to get power to the iFire's FireWire cable.

One more thing -- I don't think that Griffin makes the iFire anymore, but you should be able to buy one from Amazon.com (where I found mine a couple of months ago).

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 02:33 PM

thanks ric_d, i'll have a look for an i'fire

bleachout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2006, 07:31 PM

To power the iFire for your Nano, just pick up an iPod firewire wall charger (since the iFire needs to be powered by Firewire).

Forum Links
Forum Rules