Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > viruses

viruses
tether
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 09:07 AM

i've been told that there're no viruses for mac - they're all pc. seeing how apple seems to be becoming more popular and widespread these days, (touching wood to ensure against tempting fate), it seems like only a matter of time til some clever kid comes up with a mac virus. i'm sure it'd be fairly hot-topic here, should it happen, but i'm not a particularly regular visitor here. is there anywhere i should look out - or anybody that provides a service that'll send you an email in the instance of it happening? maybe the answer is to just check back here more often..
and where might i go for anti-virus software?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 11:16 AM

You don't need mac virus software.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 11:30 AM

^you do if you want to make a virus for the Mac
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by tether
and where might i go for anti-virus software?
At the moment, there are no Mac viruses. You're right, though; eventually, someone will probably produce one. Mac OS X is inherently pretty secure, though, so the probability of this new virus being as widespread and damaging as your average Windows virus is not that high.

That being said, Norton Antivirus is still probably one of the best Mac antivirus software packages out there. There are others, but Symantec is pretty much the market leader in AV software, so if you're going to buy it, you might as well get it from the best.

Don't touch Symantec's Norton Utilities (or Systemworks) software with a 10-foot pole, though (if you can even find it in stores anymore).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota
That being said, Norton Antivirus is still probably one of the best Mac antivirus software packages out there. There are others, but Symantec is pretty much the market leader in AV software.
Except for the recent Symantec's Antivirus exploit that will make your Mac less secure.

I use ClamX Antivirus (freeware) to scan my download folder and email messages. It will pick up an occasional PC virus. I use it to be a good citizen, not to prevent being infected with the 1st OS X virus. Depending on an antivirus application in OSX isn't wise. Until a virus is made for OS X there are a few precautions that you can take.

1. Run as a non-admin user and disable automatic login.
2. Turn off "Open Safe-files" in Safari.
3. Know your source when installing new applications.
4. Understand why you are being asked for your password and by who.
5. Turn on your software firewall.
6. Disable any services that you don't need (ie personal file sharing, FTP Access, Windows file sharing..etc)

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now. Rest assured, when the 1st OS X virus hits, there will be a fair amount of press in every tech site you can imagine. You won't be in the dark for long.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

hollowflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 07:56 PM

I second the recommendation for ClamXav, here's a link

http://clamxav.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules