Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > squat2

squat2
tether
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 11:14 AM

since i didnt get replies to my query previously, thought it may be because i was too long-winded and asked too many q's, so, to be more concise:
if the Registrant, Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, and Registration Service Provider of a domain are all the same person, and there's no business going on at this url, would this indicate anything in particular? such as the domain is being squatted?

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 10:35 PM

It doesn't mean anything.

it means someone else owns it.

you can try to contact them, they might sell it. but I wouldn't count on it.

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 02:39 AM

thanks registered user.
i was going to hang off contacting them til the renewal date for registration is gone - in case they let the registration lapse (at the url it says the sites down for migration, and its been like that for some time so i'm thinking maybe he's not going to develop a site there)

Someone said i should register a backorder with the 'dropcatcher' of the registrar. at the who is, it says: Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC..
just to check i'm using the right info: is it the dropcatcher of Tucows i'm looking for?

Also, does anyone ever cancel their registration to a domain before time for any reason? - its a while til the registration's up for renewal..

thanks.

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 07:05 AM

There is no reason to cancel, so I don't know if people do.

I don't know what a 'dropcatcher' is.

Some registrars offer a service that they'll register the domain as soon as it is available. I think GoDaddy might, but good luck finding it... I don't use GoDaddy since their web site is the suck. The guys that sit on thousands of domains and put ads on them use software that does that.

Also bear in mind that just because a domain expires today, doesn't mean it's available to today. Many registrars hang on to expired domains for a few weeks / months as a service to the registrant who may have accidentally let his registration lapse.

tether  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 01:08 PM

ok, thanks for replies

Forum Links
Forum Rules