Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel Mac Mini appreciation thread!

Intel Mac Mini appreciation thread!
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2006, 05:15 AM

How about we have a thread that isn't full of boring whining about integrated graphics etc? I think the new mini is a solid upgrade, and for the price represents a pretty good deal for people who already have a display etc.

FEEL THE LOVE!!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2006, 05:48 AM

OK so I started a crap thread and somehow it got posted twice. Great!

FEEL THE SHAME!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 06:33 AM

Just so readers can get another view:

I'm not a Mac expert but here's why I think it has the integrated graphic like it does. (I could be completely wrong)

1) Fitment issues. If you haven't seen a video card lately, they are HUGE. I saw the video of how small the new Minis were, and they were not that big at all.

2) Business: Perhaps the deal between Apple and Intel was more than just having Intel slap its chips inside a Mac. I think it would be safe to conclude who has the upper hand in this deal. Intel clearly has intentions to extend its product line through Apple's machines and here it is in the entry machines. I actually find this integrated graphic to be appropriate given the marketing Apple/Intel are trying to achieve. These machines tend to be very good for general use.
As for those craving better graphics performance, I think Apple can go either ATI like they did w/ the MBP or Intel. I'm sure Intel has plans for a much greater graphics card for Apple's upcoming power machines. Will they go ATI? I really don't know. Will they go Intel again? Yes, and that's due to business contractual reasons and cost.

If Apple continues to support Intel graphic chips, here's what is at stake. Assuming Intel is able to meet intensive Apple graphic users' needs in their faster/better machines, Intel can chomp on ATI/Nvidias' market expanding their product line. Integration is typically cheaper to manufacture. Because they are able to work on their MB, CPU, and GPU altogether, they can make those components work better/faster w/ one another.

This is all speculation, but if I were Intel, that's what I would do.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 07:20 AM

Question- I have the Dell 2405 with a resolution of 1920x1200. Would the mini be able to provide this resolution and will it casue any slow down?

Thanks
Abbas

gostan
Mar 1, 2006, 07:30 AM

I currently run my Dell 2405 with a AlBook 1.5Mhz 15 incher that I take back and forth to the office every day. Why wouldn't the new dual core Mac Mini be a great upgrade for me? I am not into gaming and do not require intensive graphics capabilities but I do need good 1920 x 1200 resolution capabilities to run my monitor.
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Abbas
Question- I have the Dell 2405 with a resolution of 1920x1200. Would the mini be able to provide this resolution and will it casue any slow down?
Yes it supports that resolution. No one has remarked on the performance yet for the Intel Mac mini at high resolutions; the previous Mac mini didn't perform so well above SXGA+.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 03:37 PM

I, er, decided to check things out myself and built a box with GM950 onboard. The good news is that the resolution works. However, the image quality is CRAP. I connected an ATI X800 card and the image quality is MUCH nicer. Its more crisp and vibrant whereas the GMA loos a bit fuzzy and washed out.

I'm using Gigabyte's VIIV motherboard for onboard graphics and while the ATI card is not working at the LCD's native resolution (It's only allowing 1600x1200), it STILL looks better.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 03:38 PM

I, er, decided to check things out myself and built a box with GM950 onboard. The good news is that the resolution works. However, the image quality is CRAP. I connected an ATI X800 card and the image quality is MUCH nicer. Its more crisp and vibrant whereas the GMA looks a bit fuzzy and washed out.

I'm using Gigabyte's VIIV motherboard for onboard graphics and while the ATI card is not working at the LCD's native resolution (It's only allowing 1600x1200), it STILL looks better.

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 08:49 PM

I too am happy with the new Mini. Hard to believe that they put a CoreDuo in it. I think that the SMALL jump in price is completely justified.

THANKS APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 11:59 PM

Well, I didn't like the jump in price, just because that means less $$$ for other stuff, but I really am happy with the fact that they are offering the dual core version. I sat there refreshing the Apple store as Steve was giving his spiel and as soon as it came back, I placed my order. Then I shot over to Dell and bought a monitor... I am very excited. dual-layer dvd burner, bluetooth, airport extreme, better ram capacity... 5400 RPM drive standard, MUCH faster bus speeds...

I think this is all great. Can't wait. I am jealous of another poster who said Apple will have his mini to him by 3/3. Mine isn't even supposed to SHIP until then... then they said to allow 5 business days for delivery. *sigh* Still, when I bought my first mini it took a month to get here.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2006, 03:53 AM

I, er, decided to check things out myself and built a box with GM950 onboard. The good news is that the resolution works. However, the image quality is CRAP. I connected an ATI X800 card and the image quality is MUCH nicer. Its more crisp and vibrant whereas the GMA loos a bit fuzzy and washed out.
Are you connecting to the GMA chipset through VGA or DVI?

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2006, 03:57 AM

VGA- this board doesnt have a DVI slot onboard. However, I have ordered an ADD2 card which should provide DVI output for the onboard video. I'm hoping that improves the image quality.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 09:57 AM

I think the new mini is just fine. I don't play games, so all of the whining I'm reading is lost on me (What's Doom? Why would you want 'doom' faster? Whatever.).

If I didn't have other priorities right now, the dual core mini would be mine, along with EyeTV 2 w/ EyeTV 200. It'd go right under my TV.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2006, 10:54 PM

VGA- this board doesnt have a DVI slot onboard. However, I have ordered an ADD2 card which should provide DVI output for the onboard video. I'm hoping that improves the image quality.
That explains the video quality... slap one of the DVI-VGA adapters on your X800 and it should look about the same.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2006, 09:37 PM

There is NOTHING wrong with the new mini. NOTHING. It is not meant to be a gaming machine. That's obvious, unless you're a 'tard.

Tom

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2006, 03:21 AM

There are now plenty reports of people running 1080 HD video flawlessly on the Mac mini Duo, even with stock 512mb of ram. I'll be ordering one when my next pay comes in.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 12, 2006, 12:50 AM

I'm thrilled with my new Intel Mini. My previous was the 1.5GHz G4 Mini, which was nice, but I couldn't play 1080 video. (When I bought the G4 Mini, the salesman at the Apple Store looked at me like I was crazy. I was going around to all of the Macs downloading trailers to see how performance compared. haha) Now I can afford to have a Mac at home with performance on par with my G5 at work. 1080 trailers play perfect--even better than on my 3.4 P4 PC, which I'm now going to sell--and Photoshop performs great for the web work I do. I don't play games on the Mac, so I can't comment on that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules