Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Republican mayor from Mississippi outed by shopping with tax $ at Priape (in Toronto)

Republican mayor from Mississippi outed by shopping with tax $ at Priape (in Toronto)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 11:55 AM

Here we go again.

Sex shop purchase in Toronto outs Republican mayor

A purchase made at a gay sex shop in Toronto then billed to taxpayers as a work expense has prompted a Republican politician in the United States to reveal he is gay.

Greg Davis, the mayor of Southaven, Mississippi, is at the centre of a spending scandal after a local newspaper revealed the politician had billed taxpayers for an estimated $170,000, including expensive dinners, a pricey family vacation and purchases at local liquor stores.

But it’s the $67 for unnamed merchandise from Priape, a gay sex shop near the intersection of Church and Wellesley Sts., that has caused the biggest stir for Davis, who has previously run for office on a conservative, family-values platform.

Southaven Mayor Greg Davis' expense receipts prompt frank revelation

"At this point in my life and in my career, while I have tried to maintain separation between my personal and public life, it is obvious that this can no longer remain the case," Davis said Thursday afternoon at his Southaven home. "While I have performed my job as mayor, in my opinion, as a very conservative, progressive individual -- and still continue to be a very conservative individual -- I think that it is important that I discuss the struggles I have had over the last few years when I came to the realization that I am gay."

---

It sounds like this guy really went overboard on his living the high life off tax dollars. But WTF: Why would he be stupid enough to expense a sex shop purchase on the public purse?!? Maybe he just stuck all the receipts in a box and forgot that one was in there?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 20, 2011, 12:06 PM

The important distinction here is as far as I've read, this guy was not one of those virulent anti-homosexual politicians we hear so much about.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 12:24 PM

Perhaps, but then again he did campaign on a "family values" platform, whatever that means.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 12:24 PM

Was he virulently for small government? Cock rings aren't in the Bill of Rights AFAIK.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Perhaps, but then again he did campaign on a "family values" platform, whatever that means.
You can be "pro" one thing without being "anti" another, and gay people have families too.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 06:09 PM

“The only apology I would make to my supporters if they are upset is the fact that I was not honest enough with myself to be honest with them. But I have lived my life in public service for 20-plus years, and in order for me to remain sane and move on, I have got to start being honest about who I am,” he told the Commercial Appeal.

That statement makes me suspect that happy gay families were not an integral part of his "family values" campaign.

Anyways, the bigger issue though is the waste of taxpayer money, and this has become a criminal investigation.

Southaven's Mayor Greg Davis a generous tipper � The Commercial Appeal

The receipts show that Davis spent thousands of dollars at the Mesquite Chop House in Southaven. During one dinner there last June, the bill for grilled fish and a martini totaled $37.88. Davis left a $100 tip. A month later, he bought $36.52 in a round of beers at the restaurant and again tipped the waiter $100.

And during a dinner for legislators and attorneys at The Mint Restaurant in Ridgeland, Miss., Davis left a $1,000 tip on a $2,509.43 bill that included two bottles of Opus One wine for $415 each.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 20, 2011, 06:15 PM

Easy money from the public. It's good to know we are so generous. Gotta support our local restaurants and sex shops.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Was he virulently for small government? Cock rings aren't in the Bill of Rights AFAIK.
I believe cock rings are filed under "pursuit of happiness", so that'll be the Declaration Of Running Away From Home.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Easy money from the public. It's good to know we are so generous. Gotta support our local restaurants and sex shops.
Except it's CA for Canada, not California. Canada is getting the benefit from the money spent.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Except it's CA for Canada, not California. Canada is getting the benefit from the money spent.
All $67 worth. (Well, $68.91 in Canadian dollars.)

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 11:09 PM

All $67 worth. (Well, $68.91 in Canadian dollars.)
I was assuming most of the $170,000 was spent on vacationing in Canada.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 11:11 PM

I was assuming most of the $170,000 was spent on vacationing in Canada.
Most of it was spent in the US, including for entertaining other politicians with $400 bottles of wine, and leaving $1000 tips.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
You can be "pro" one thing without being "anti" another, and gay people have families too.
Except gay families aren't considered as part of the conservative 'family-values' platform. I'm pretty sure the conservative 'family-values' platform is anti-gay marriage and ant-gay adoption.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 11:15 PM

Another Republican living in denial. He has a wife and 3 young girls. Wow.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 11:45 PM

so what is up with conservatives not accepting gays?

this video of michele bachmann implies she doesn't even believe there age gays...sorry this was the only link i could find

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

i mean i'm sure we all have gay friends and frankly, some of my friends are GAY (all caps) lol

but they are my friends first, what they do in their bedrooms don't cross my mind...

my point, is of course there are people who are gay/bisexual...accept it

the idea that it's a choice makes me laugh because if it were a choice, wouldn't at least half the hormone infested teenagers in high school "choose" to be attracted to their own sex in order to have sex?

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I believe cock rings are filed under "pursuit of happiness", so that'll be the Declaration Of Running Away From Home.
If you have to pursue a cock ring, get a size that won't slip off next time.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
the idea that it's a choice makes me laugh because if it were a choice, wouldn't at least half the hormone infested teenagers in high school "choose" to be attracted to their own sex in order to have sex?
Actually, one commonly accepted theory is that there is a gradient of sexual orientation. 100% hetero to 100% gay, and everything in between. Both sides sometimes don't want to admit the existence of bisexual orientation, but nonetheless it exists.

Thus, if you're one of the in-between, there is indeed the element of "choice", although it is heavily influenced by upbringing and social environment.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 12:10 AM

Actually, one commonly accepted theory is that there is a gradient of sexual orientation. 100% hetero to 100% gay, and everything in between. Both sides sometimes don't want to admit the existence of bisexual orientation, but nonetheless it exists.

Thus, if you're one of the in-between, there is indeed the element of "choice", although it is influenced by the upbringing and environment.
ok i get that

i think the conservatives are (correct me if i am wrong) saying a person who is straight can "choose" to be gay... i imaging at anytime

right?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 12:24 AM

Except gay families aren't considered as part of the conservative 'family-values' platform. I'm pretty sure the conservative 'family-values' platform is anti-gay marriage and ant-gay adoption.
I know some Log Cabin types who would argue with you on that.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 12:30 AM

I dunno, what's up with liberals not accepting free speech?

BTW, this is where I pull up some crazy liberals who want to curtail free speech, and you counter with crazy conservatives who bash gays. All that time we somehow avoid that there are people in both camps who don't behave that way and we continue talking in absolutes and bitching for 10 pages. That good with you or do we just go ahead and decide that painting with a broad brush is stupid?
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 01:06 AM

Sounds to me like you took that way too personally.

Relax. If you don't have a problem with homosexuals, he's not talking about you, whether you identify as a conservative or not.

I don't have a problem bashing homophobic conservatives, just like I don't have a problem bashing anti-free speech liberals.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 01:06 AM

Ugh. Having strong leanings in one direction or another is fine, but the world is basically grey, not black or white.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 01:12 AM

To take a stab at an answer, I'm going to say it's tied up with the number of conservatives who follow a religion which says that having gay sex is a sin.

That's just a stab though, I'm not particularly religious, and only liberals think I'm conservative. Conservatives think I'm a durty hippy.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 01:25 AM

Sounds to me like you took that way too personally.
On most issues I'm either hard Left or hard Right, makes it tough to not dislike both ideologies.

Just thought I'd head that off at the pass, not like I haven't seen it 1000x before on this forum.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 01:45 AM

Fair enough.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 01:54 AM

BTW, this is where I pull up some crazy liberals who want to curtail free speech, and you counter with crazy conservatives who bash gays. All that time we somehow avoid that there are people in both camps who don't behave that way and we continue talking in absolutes and bitching for 10 pages. That good with you or do we just go ahead and decide that painting with a broad brush is stupid?
Well, as I pointed out earlier it would seem that the man in question has painted things that way himself. He basically apologizes to his supporters for coming out, while at the same time he doesn't apologize for throwing away taxpayer money.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 02:12 AM

I don't think he was throwing it away, more like stuffing it up his rear.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 02:30 AM

I thought money was supposed to fly out of your butt.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Ugh. Having strong leanings in one direction or another is fine, but the world is basically grey, not black or white.
I was going to reply to this but then I discovered that I was only about #D3D3D3 arsed about doing so, so I won't bother.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 03:07 AM

I know some Log Cabin types who would argue with you on that.
We all know what the conservative family-values platform is. No one else is confused with that. Log Cabin conservatives are for marriage equality which basically is against what the conservative family-values platform stands for.

Don't be using Herman Cain's line of thinking. He supports the right for the family or woman's right to choose to have an abortion but is not pro-choice.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 04:41 AM

Cain was never running for office, he was gathering funds for his retirement.
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 21, 2011, 09:58 AM

Cain was never running for office, he was gathering funds for his retirement.
Gotta catch 'em all.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 02:22 PM

Mayor?
Who the F cares what some mayor of some podunk town no one ever heard of does? At that level, whatever political party means absolutely nothing to anyone- unless of course you have an agenda, an axe to grind and you're bottom-barrel scraping for crap like this.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 04:20 PM

You lot should look up the government expenses scandal we had a while back. Most hilarious/shameful offenders included a husband and wife who were both MPs, lived together in the two properties they shared but each claimed one house under their 2nd home allowance. Then there was a guy who charged the taxpayer to have his moat cleaned. Yes, I said moat.

Oddly not one of the bastards was locked up or even fined for their various misdeeds. If only the rest of us could commit grand theft with the only possible consequence being that you might have to give some of it back.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If only the rest of us could commit grand theft with the only possible consequence being that you might have to give some of it back.
Finally admitting that taxation is theft. Well, that's a start.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 05:20 PM

I thought money was supposed to fly out of your butt.
No, no, that's monkeys. Monkeys fly out of your butt.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2011, 11:01 PM

hi

i don't get the correlation ...when i say conservatives, i don't mean 100% of conservative people...i'm sorry if you thought otherwise...

acceptiong who's free speech?

i'm not sure what you mean but i'm all for free speech!

if someone wants to say they hate gays...fine, let them say it...

my question is why? and why does it seem like--from all the polls and experience--liberal minded people for the most part accept gay people and conservative minded people are not...

merry christmas

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Mayor?
Who the F cares what some mayor of some podunk town no one ever heard of does? At that level, whatever political party means absolutely nothing to anyone- unless of course you have an agenda, an axe to grind and you're bottom-barrel scraping for crap like this.
ah sorry but although "mayor" was key, the real story was anti gay, republican gets caught and comes out

Davis, a Republican who ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2008 on a conservative, family-values platform,
kinda like...
Mark Foley
Ted Haggard
Larry Craig
MB?

thank you

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2011, 12:48 PM

Merry Christmas to all my witch-hunting liberal friends.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules