Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Are Canada and the United States losing their Identities?

Are Canada and the United States losing their Identities?
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2010, 04:00 PM

Both Nations are made up of immigrants but it seems to me more and more people are moving here expecting us to adapt to them. They never learn English they expect everything to be available in there languages. They expect us to adapt to there cultures. I walk into a East Indian store and all the products and signs are in Punjab, same goes for some Asian stores. Street signs in communities made up of mostly East Indians are now in both English and Punjab, same for some Asian communities. Kids that are born here don't learn any English at all until they hit school and end up in ESL classes like the newly arrived immigrants. Translators are needed so they can take the road test and get a drivers license with out even knowing a single word of English. Muslims expect there woman to keep there heads covered even though this is supposed to be a free country. Seems like our cultures, our values are always under attack now to be PC.

Any one else seeing this?
( Last edited by Athens; Dec 26, 2010 at 08:58 AM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2010, 04:20 PM

Yes, all this multicultural accommodation is bullshit.

Some countries are waking up to it. Germany's Chancellor recently admitted that the multi-cultural society has failed.

-t

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2010, 05:22 PM

Im start to have a firm belief in English/French for Canada, English for the US being mandatory. All public locations all business and interaction to be in the official language. No more going into a 7 Eleven and listening to 2 East Indians squawking away in punjab with offences being ticket-able. Those seeking a drivers license must demonstrate functional language skills. No mo interpretors who for all we know are providing the answers. The signing of the national anthem at the start of school. It doesn't matter what color your skin is, its the cultural aspects. You could be a black Mexican or a white Mexican or a Latino Mexican. Ether way Mexican culture belongs. If your leaving Mexico for a better life why do you want to change your new home into Mexico. If things where so great there why leave. If it was not why try and change things here to be like there. I know a old Japanese guy, he has got to be 80 years old. He is appalled at the new generation of people moving here. He came here to become Canadian. He learned the language, learned the history, learned our values and lives by them. He didn't abandon his own culture and has so much to show that he is proud of but he didn't come here to make a new Japan. I think we are setting ourselves up for a disaster. Call me racist if you want which I don't think I am because its not a race issue but a cultural issue. Call me culturally ignorant then But again I don't think I am. I enjoy other cultures. But I go to them to enjoy them.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I walk into a East Indian store and all the products and signs are in Punjab, same goes for some Asian stores. Street signs in communities made up of mostly East Indians are now in both English and Punjab, same for some Asian communities.
What? Where have you seen that? Must be a Canadian thing, never seen that in the US.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2010, 05:46 PM

Ive seen it in Vancouver, Seattle and San Francisco

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2010, 06:53 PM

I completely agree that immigrants should be able to communicate in the national language. However, I don't think this is causing Canada or the US to lose their identities, since the same thing has been happening for generations. My German grandparents lived in a Canadian town populated almost entirely by German citizens. There were many people living there who couldn't speak effective English, and I remember when I visited as a kid there were many stores that had no English in them.

btw: there is no way I'd want to buy Indian or Asian food labeled in English.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 27, 2010, 07:10 PM

Se ha corregido el Inglés en el título del hilo.

Corrected the English in the thread title.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2010, 07:26 PM

Wouldn't it be great if the self-appointed defenders of the English language could spell? And shouldn't this thread's title begin with "Are" not "Is" ?? (Low-hanging fruit, I know.)EDIT: someone fixed the title, I see.
Both Nations are made up of immigrants but it seems to me more and more people are moving here expecting us to adapt to them.
I've never had an immigrant to Canada ever expect me to adapt to them. Ever. Could you give a personal example of having to adapt to someone else's language or culture?
[They never learn English they expect everything to be available in there languages.
This certainly isn't my experience. First-generation immigrants rarely master the new language but their children are equally proficient. This is how it has always been.
They expect us to adapt to there cultures. I walk into a East Indian store and all the products and signs are in Punjab, same goes for some Asian stores.
I grocery shop at the nearby "Yummy Mart," which is Russian. Some food is imported, some is locally made, and the labels are sometimes Russian-only. I never have a problem buying food there because I only buy the food that's labelled in English. I've never have trouble talking with the people who work there. I imagine buying stuff at any ethnic-focused store is the same experience. If they don't provide English labels and staff, they won't have English-only customers; the free market will decide.
Kids that are born here don't learn any English at all until they hit school and end up in ESL classes like the newly arrived immigrants.
I have never once encountered this.
Translators are needed so they can take the road test and get a drivers license with out even knowing a single word of English.
So?
Muslims expect there woman to keep there heads covered even though this is supposed to be a free country.
Living in a free country means freedom of religion. Many, many cultures in Canada were enforcing backward and sexist dress standards before Muslims started coming here: the Amish, Orthodox Jews, etc. Do you get upset at Jewish men wearing their skull caps or Sikh men wearing their turbans? Why focus on Muslim women? I don't like the sight of burkhas, but I have a bigger problem with those Mormons knocking on my door on Saturday morning.
Seems like our cultures, our values are always under attack now to be PC.
Your culture isn't under attack. There's nothing "PC" about being patient with new immigrants. Learning a new language and new culture is difficult and takes time.
People see what they want to.
Im start to have a firm belief in English/French for Canada, English for the US being mandatory. All public locations all business and interaction to be in the official language.
So when you go to a local Indian or Taiwanese restaurant, the employees shoudn't be free to communication in their native language?
No more going into a 7 Eleven and listening to 2 East Indians squawking away in punjab with offences being ticket-able.
What an utter waste of police time and taxpayer funds. What happened to small government?
The signing of the national anthem at the start of school.
Signing? If you mean singing, fine. Not sure what it has to do with this subject. But all those Jehovah's Witnesses and republican Irish might not like it.
It doesn't matter what color your skin is, its the cultural aspects. You could be a black Mexican or a white Mexican or a Latino Mexican. Ether way Mexican culture belongs. If your leaving Mexico for a better life why do you want to change your new home into Mexico.
Uh, what aspects of Mexican culture are you referring to? If you're complaining about ethnic ghettos, they will always be with us. We have Italian areas and Jewish areas here in Toronto, why not Mexican areas and Muslim areas?
If things where so great there why leave. If it was not why try and change things here to be like there.
Yeah, I'm still pissed about those Irish guys with their Irish pubs, Irish community centers, always talking about Irish politics and stuff. Going on and on about potato famines and blood Sunday and stuff. Let it go, man!
I know a old Japanese guy, he has got to be 80 years old. He is appalled at the new generation of people moving here. He came here to become Canadian. He learned the language, learned the history, learned our values and lives by them. He didn't abandon his own culture and has so much to show that he is proud of but he didn't come here to make a new Japan.
I got a black friend. He hates rap.
I think we are setting ourselves up for a disaster. Call me racist if you want which I don't think I am because its not a race issue but a cultural issue. Call me culturally ignorant then But again I don't think I am. I enjoy other cultures. But I go to them to enjoy them.
It's a lot easier to enjoy Indian culture if I don't have to go all the way to India to see it. As for disaster, it wasn't a disaster with the Irish (Fenian terrorists!) or Italians (mobsters!) or Ukrainians (perogies!). I'm sure we can handle some Mexicans and Muslims.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2010, 07:36 PM

Ive seen it in Vancouver, Seattle and San Francisco
Where in Seattle? I'm from Seattle and have never seen it anywhere as a street sign. As a business sign in Chinatown sure, but that's to be expected in Chinatown in every city in the world.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2010, 08:26 PM

What identities are being lost? I'm not sure I understand the concern....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2010, 01:23 AM

Seems to me that Athens is only concerned about the cultures currently being blamed for all the world's ills.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2010, 01:36 AM

What is puzzling to me is that Canada's self identity is literally of multi-culturalism, and always (AFAIK) has been.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2010, 02:53 AM

All I can say is the food is a heluvalot better than it used to be.

We're no longer limited to just McDonalds, fake Italian food, fake Chinese food, and steakhouses.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2010, 05:15 AM

While I agree that the duty of every immigrant is to assimilate into their new host country by learning the primary language and customs your argument as to why that should be the case and how the culture is supposed to remain static around all that is stupid.

And that stupidity was highlighted here:

Im start to have a firm belief in English/French for Canada, English for the US being mandatory. All public locations all business and interaction to be in the official language.
How exactly did you rationalize the continuing influence of French culture in Quebec but dismiss the prominence of Spanish colonization in the Americas? The European conquest of this continent began with the Spanish and French (and in some cases lasted far longer than the 200 or so years the US has been a country). The British were late to the party and their cultural presence was not nearly as pervasive as their other European counterparts throughout the relatively short history of ours.

What you imply has been the ongoing culture of the two nations that is in danger of being lost is just naive. We have never had a real national identity throughout our history compared to other parts of the world. What you are calling a culture is an amalgam of various waves of immigration into the country each changing what existed before it by degrees of the size of that wave. Modern liberal idolatry of multicultural values in this country is a problem in so much that it removes the pressures for new immigrants to assimilate but the idea that the assimilation is supposed to be (or has ever been) one way is ridiculous.

The Southwest is supposed to be heavily populated by a demographic that is Spanish in origin in the same way the Northeast is supposed to be populated by people with British roots because that is how the regions were colonized. That doesn't mean that there is any excuse for the prominence of another primary spoken language over English in any large part of the country but to imagine that other cultural influences of that populace is going to be completely erased is retarded. And even more so given the time frame and relatively few number of generations of those who are meant to assimilate.

What is actually problematic is ethnic linguistic trends and speech not even remotely connected to now native born citizens whose family has no ties to the community or region of the country where those trends are common because its been popularized by television or media. That's a whole other problem area of multiculturalism that doesn't get enough attention.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What identities are being lost? I'm not sure I understand the concern....

This. People are *eating* less American/Canadian. These immigrants are forcing their cuisine onto us.
Originally Posted by Eug View Post

We're no longer limited to just McDonalds, fake Italian food, fake Chinese food, and steakhouses.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2010, 11:36 AM

Call me culturally ignorant then But again I don't think I am. I enjoy other cultures. But I go to them to enjoy them.
And there is the problem. You seem to think that they're yours to "enjoy," but only when it's convenient for you. It isn't just Canada and America, but the world is becoming more culturally diverse. People travel, move where there are job opportunities, and just because they feel like it. Get used to it.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 29, 2010, 01:19 AM

Canadiens should start Canadian neighborhoods in various countries throughout the world. Open Canadian culture food and other shops. Infect THEM.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2010, 01:54 AM

How would that work? Poutine and mounties?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2010, 06:11 AM

I think Whites are losing their purity. Poor white folks.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2010, 02:06 PM

In case you are wondering, I'm white.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Seems to me that Athens is only concerned about the cultures currently being blamed for all the world's ills.
Blaming them for what?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What is puzzling to me is that Canada's self identity is literally of multi-culturalism, and always (AFAIK) has been.
It is our identity and for hundred years people moved here, integrated into our society and learned English, learned our rules, learned our history and adapted to our life styles became citizens. At the same time they hung on to there and shared parts of there cultures and ways with every one but it didn't dominate. Its not the same any more. You have entire areas turning into one culture, the immigrants culture. English isn't the language of business, English isn't the language of education. A kid born here in this country in this city being educated only in a Punjab school at age 13 has not learned English, the language of the county and thats not wrong?

Helmet laws are excused because of a religious item on the head. Ok...
East Indian Cops get exemptions on uniform standards (and safety standards) for a religious rag on the head.
Womans faces are totally covered up and thus enter and leave the country not fully identified because of a religious item covering the face.
Religious items which for any one who isn't of that religion is a weapon are allowed to be worn in public schools....

No Im sorry living here is optional. If you get a motorcycle your removing the rag and putting on a helmet thats the law for every one. If its incompatible with your religion then your religion is incompatible with our society. Standard Police attire applies to every cop, if a rag on the head is not acceptable for safety reasons, then tough don't apply to the job. Our laws say during security check points at the border or other locations that positive identification is required which is a matching between the human face with government issued identification then that dam face cloth is coming off. Don't like it don't visit or move here. Again its optional. Like covering up your face for your religion then do so but expect to be asked to remove it when required. Like a rag on the head fine put one on and don't apply for jobs that require it comes off and don't use transportation that requires a helmet. Want your kid to be brought up 100% in your original culture fine go back to your origin. Have a kid here he is going to learn hour history our language and you teach him your culture at home or with summer school programs or after school programs but part of raising a kid born here is he will have the same education and options as any one else born here. At least Omar Khadr's family got it right and sent him to Afghanistan to learn how to shoot Americans and blow shit up vs teaching him and practicing here.

Is this racist, NO because race has never had anything to do with it. You have white people born in India and South Africa and the Philippines that are Indian and South African and Philipeno because its culture not skin color. Asian kids and African kids (real Africans) and other kids grow up here and are no different then the white guy. Culture is the only thing that separates us. Not skin color. There is as many differences between the black guy from one Tribe as another Tribe as a American or a Australian.

And I would not argue that im culturally ignorant either. I love the good aspects of many cultures and disagree with many aspects of other cultures. I am not going to go to Iran and start chanting stop this now and try and change the parts of there culture I don't like. Live and let live. But Why do I have to put up with having all aspects of there cultures forced upon me in my own home, my culture being asked to adapted to theres because they don't want to adapt to ours. What the hell is the point of moving to the United States if your not going to become a American?

Option 1) Move to America, learn English, learn the laws, learn how things are done, go to school or get a job. Pay taxes, Get married have kids, send kids to American schools...
Option 2) Move to America, find a community of my own kind. Stay ignorant of the laws and apply the standards of where I came from here. Don't go to school or get a job but instead make money in America the same way I made money where I came from. Don't pay taxes and contribute to the system that provides me the clean water, the roads and everything else that where I came from lacks. Have kids and keep my kid ignorant of The United States and try to keep him a separate culture...

So Yes I think Canada and the United States is losing its identity which is a multicultural society and instead becoming a society of isolated sub cultures and community's that mirror or are extensions of other places. Lower education standards, values economics...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

It's funny. In Seattle there are so many original restaurants and variety, but here in Colorado Springs, I can almost count on two hands the amount of restaurants that aren't chains. It's really a shame.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's funny. In Seattle there are so many original restaurants and variety, but here in Colorado Springs, I can almost count on two hands the amount of restaurants that aren't chains. It's really a shame.
Its because of Globalization and centralization. I was watching a good video about it just last night. It was an interview with Catherine Austin Fitts who was the former Assistant Secretary of Housing under Bush.

Basically she covers on this and made a dam good point about how Wall Street is owning every thing in all 31000 or so county's in the US. Basically its like this and I might screw up since Im repeating it from memory but I will find the link to the interview and post it so those interested can watch it for themselves.

Small middle America town say Milford Pennsylvania, you have Joan with a nice chunk of change she wants to earn more interest on. A normal savings account at her local bank only gives a return of 1% so she decided to invest it with a product the bank is offering that gives a return of 3-4% The bank is actually owned or tied to a major investment bank at Wall Street in NY City. But for most people living in Milford Pennsylvania they think its just a small privately owned and local bank. Now lets say there is another man in the same town named Jerry and he also wants to make a higher return on his investments and also buys into some of these products. You have 2 investors in the same town putting up hundreds of thousands of there own money to a bank and getting a return of 4%. Seems like a good return at least compared to 1% of a normal savings account.

Now you have a guy in Milford Pennsylvania named Pat who decides to start a business in Milford Pennsylvania and finances much of it from his credit card. A Credit card issued by the New York bank which happens to own the small town bank in Milford Pennsylvania. The interest rate on his loans is set at 21% giving the bank a nice return of 17% after you minus the 4% the bank is paying out to Joan or Jerry for the honor of using there money to make more money.

Basically her point was that the system is very central, people in the same towns and same county's who live close to each other all over America are sending their money to NY and NY is lending money all over America putting all the power and control into the hands of just a few. She talks about local solutions that brings the wealth back to middle America and it would be easier for people to watch it because I've taking only a small part out of it and with out the context what I just explained about the wealth concentration will make less sense. But basically she goes into the mortgage crisis, the propping up of the US Dollar to then buy into equity for cheap abroad, the off loading of jobs around the world and the financial control business have over the American people. How the power is shifting from Government to Business and how Government is assuming the debt and risks and businesses are assuming the assets and control. Something she said in the video I have not fact checked yet but if true is astonishing is that if you look at all the money spent in the last 200 years including WW1, 2 Koren and so forth up until the late 80's the US government had spent 12 Trillion dollars. This includes all the highways, water systems and everything. I dont know if that figure takes into account the value of the dollar aka how 20 years ago a bottle of pepsi was 99 cents and today its double that. or inflation. But anyways thats a small number considering how many years it covers. Now fast forward to last year, the US loaned, promised or spent 12 Trillion dollars in the bail out to the banks in one year....

Anyways I'll here is the link to part 1 YouTube - Catherine Austin Fitts: The Looting Of America 1/4 before I bastardize to much of it trying to explain what im not fully understanding yet. But something covered in all of this is how chain stores are taking over America, the small independent business owner is disappearing, its a wealth and economic shift that is putting the power in the hands of business.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 01:24 PM

Both Nations are made up of immigrants but it seems to me more and more people are moving here expecting us to adapt to them. They never learn English they expect everything to be available in there languages. They expect us to adapt to there cultures. I walk into a East Indian store and all the products and signs are in Punjab, same goes for some Asian stores. Street signs in communities made up of mostly East Indians are now in both English and Punjab, same for some Asian communities. Kids that are born here don't learn any English at all until they hit school and end up in ESL classes like the newly arrived immigrants. Translators are needed so they can take the road test and get a drivers license with out even knowing a single word of English. Muslims expect there woman to keep there heads covered even though this is supposed to be a free country. Seems like our cultures, our values are always under attack now to be PC.

Since others here like to crap on my English skills, I would like to be a douche-bag like them for a second.

Your English is worst than mine.

"They never learn English they expect everything to be available in there languages."
"Kids that are born here don't learn any English at all until they hit school and end up in ESL classes like the newly arrived immigrants."

Even kids who weren't born here and ended up in ESL classes have better English grammar than you.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 01:42 PM

It's one thing to ask immigrants to learn the national language and follow the laws of the land.

It is something totally different to ask them to adopt the 'national culture'. What is the 'national culture'? Nascar? Going to church every Sunday? Celebrate Christmas? Celebrate Hanukkah?

The culture of one region in the US can be vastly different from another region in the US. Culture change over time. The culture of the 20's is not the same as in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and present times.

What shapes culture? Art, music, dance, language, food, fashion, tradition, religion.
Who shapes culture? The government? No. We do. People. The community.

Are you asking us the all dress alike, adopt the same religion, celebrate the same holidays, eat the same food, watch Nascar, go to church on Sunday, drink beer and watch sports?

I have no idea what you mean by 'our cultures' are being under attack.

Stop telling me what to do. It's a free country. If you want everyone to follow the 'national culture', go live in a fascist state.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2010, 08:57 PM

Small middle America town say Milford Pennsylvania,
Apparently your sense of geography is worse than your knowledge of colonial history there Dudley Doright.

PA is Mid Atlantic the same as Delaware or New Jersey.

Move to America, find a community of my own kind.
Have you spent no time in this country? That's exactly what all previous waves of immigration have done. From the Bronx to Wisconsin its exactly how first and a lot of second generation Americans have settled.
Your arguments are simplistic and lack any shred of educated background on the subject.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Dec 3, 2010 at 09:06 PM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2010, 12:31 AM

I had Chilean food today. Humitas are awesome.

Tomorrow I'm going for Portugese food for dinner.

However, brunch before that may be North American diner fare.

All is good… except sometimes I spend too much money on food. Damn those immigrants!

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Apparently your sense of geography is worse than your knowledge of colonial history there Dudley Doright.

PA is Mid Atlantic the same as Delaware or New Jersey.

Small middle America town is a bloody expression not a location

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Since others here like to crap on my English skills, I would like to be a douche-bag like them for a second.

Your English is worst than mine.

"They never learn English they expect everything to be available in there languages."
"Kids that are born here don't learn any English at all until they hit school and end up in ESL classes like the newly arrived immigrants."

Even kids who weren't born here and ended up in ESL classes have better English grammar than you.
I have dyslexia and for the last year been on powerful opioid based pain killers every waking hour of the day. Whats your excuse?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2010, 06:53 PM

It's one thing to ask immigrants to learn the national language and follow the laws of the land.
That is exactly what im expecting and asking

It is something totally different to ask them to adopt the 'national culture'. What is the 'national culture'? Nascar? Going to church every Sunday? Celebrate Christmas? Celebrate Hanukkah?
Who ever said that. What they do in there own homes is there business.

Are you asking us the all dress alike, adopt the same religion, celebrate the same holidays, eat the same food, watch Nascar, go to church on Sunday, drink beer and watch sports?

Ok you tell me which of these you wouldn't agree with, most of these are acceptable where they come from.

Cutting in line, seriously pushing in near the front. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Manager of a ethnic background will only hire those of the same ethnic background. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Majority of employee's in a business are the same language and only speak in that language while the few English people are left wondering all the time what every one is saying. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Taking a old couch and putting it out at the end of the property for some one else to deal with (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Tossing trash out of the car window or just tossing it out on the side walk like a hot dog wrapper (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Poring crap down the drain, no matter how toxic it is with no regard to the stream it pollutes. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Walking into a grocery store barefoot and very disgusting feet at that. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Sampling the food in the bulk section with hands (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Jay walking any place they like and not using cross walks or waiting for the road to at least be clear (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Totally uncontrolled kids in stores and restaurants. DONT LET YOUR KID CRAWL UNDER THE TABLES OF OTHER PEOPLE EATING (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)

Driving

No signaling, cutting people off, driving very aggressive as if we have no road rules, coming to a complete stop in a merge lane to TURN into the free way vs merging into the free way, driving 20km below the speed limit, honking at people not doing anything wrong, blowing through stop signs, no clue how a 4 way stop works, driving wrong way on a one way road. STOPPING ANYWHERE to let some one out or pick some one up, and taking up the entire lane to do it. And the list goes on..... REALLY IS IT TO MUCH TO ASK TO REQUIRE THEY KNOW HOW TO DRIVE BEFORE WE LET THEM DRIVE!!!!!!!

There are many aspects to culture, the entertainment of ones culture of the food of ones culture is not the same as the interpersonal interactions between people from one culture to another or what is acceptable in one culture vs another culture. I couldn't care less if they never watch a hockey game and eat pizza or only play cricket in the park. But I do care about how they interact with me and what they do around me and my environment. If I wanted to live in a city that you toss your garbage out on the street I would move to Calcutta. You move here I expect you to learn its no ok to toss garbage out on the street and its not ok to ignore all the rules of the road and so on.....

finboy
Dec 8, 2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Wow, aren't you lucky? All that consistency, cleanliness and discount prices too! Neat.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2010, 07:39 PM

Yup, they are losing their identities, but not in the way you think....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Wow, aren't you lucky? All that consistency, cleanliness and discount prices too! Neat.
Ha, I hate it. Although thankfully downtown remains mostly chain-free.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Yup, they are losing their identities, but not in the way you think....

That map is prob true in some aspects. Seattle and San Francisco really do feel like home.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2010, 05:33 PM

Does British Columbia find it annoying that Alaska just kind of trims the left side there, stealing your pacific coast shore?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 05:45 PM

Ok you tell me which of these you wouldn't agree with, most of these are acceptable where they come from.

Cutting in line, seriously pushing in near the front. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Manager of a ethnic background will only hire those of the same ethnic background. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Majority of employee's in a business are the same language and only speak in that language while the few English people are left wondering all the time what every one is saying. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Taking a old couch and putting it out at the end of the property for some one else to deal with (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Tossing trash out of the car window or just tossing it out on the side walk like a hot dog wrapper (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Poring crap down the drain, no matter how toxic it is with no regard to the stream it pollutes. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Walking into a grocery store barefoot and very disgusting feet at that. (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Sampling the food in the bulk section with hands (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Jay walking any place they like and not using cross walks or waiting for the road to at least be clear (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)
Totally uncontrolled kids in stores and restaurants. DONT LET YOUR KID CRAWL UNDER THE TABLES OF OTHER PEOPLE EATING (Acceptable or Not Acceptable)

Driving

No signaling, cutting people off, driving very aggressive as if we have no road rules, coming to a complete stop in a merge lane to TURN into the free way vs merging into the free way, driving 20km below the speed limit, honking at people not doing anything wrong, blowing through stop signs, no clue how a 4 way stop works, driving wrong way on a one way road. STOPPING ANYWHERE to let some one out or pick some one up, and taking up the entire lane to do it. And the list goes on..... REALLY IS IT TO MUCH TO ASK TO REQUIRE THEY KNOW HOW TO DRIVE BEFORE WE LET THEM DRIVE!!!!!!!

There are many aspects to culture, the entertainment of ones culture of the food of ones culture is not the same as the interpersonal interactions between people from one culture to another or what is acceptable in one culture vs another culture. I couldn't care less if they never watch a hockey game and eat pizza or only play cricket in the park. But I do care about how they interact with me and what they do around me and my environment. If I wanted to live in a city that you toss your garbage out on the street I would move to Calcutta. You move here I expect you to learn its no ok to toss garbage out on the street and its not ok to ignore all the rules of the road and so on.....
So immigrants are dirty, lack manners, have rowdy uncontrolled kids, break laws, disgusting, and trash every place they go to.

Those dirty dirty immigrants with their noisy dirty kids.

Why don't you just come out and just say you hate immigrants and their dirty disgusting culture.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 06:52 PM

So immigrants are dirty, lack manners, have rowdy uncontrolled kids, break laws, disgusting, and trash every place they go to.

Those dirty dirty immigrants with their noisy dirty kids.

Why don't you just come out and just say you hate immigrants and their dirty disgusting culture.
Because it wouldn't be the truth, I love immigrants that don't lack manners, that are not dirty that don't break laws and trash everything. Those ones are absolutely welcomed. Are you seriously telling me you would be welcoming to those that trash everything exactly the same as those that don't? In the Winter Months Whistler BC is probably made up of over 75% Australian background temporary immigrants on working vacation Visa's and they have manners, don't break laws, are far from disgusting and don't trash the place. And they adapt to our road rules rather quickly too. Don't mind European Immigrants for the most part either, even Africans generally adapt well and integrate into our society. You know its really just the 2 groups of East Indian peoples and Asian peoples (Korean, Chinese) that seem to be the problem.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2010, 07:47 PM

You know what? You're an anti-dirtite. A rabid anti-dirtite.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 08:10 PM

A what? I've never herd of that one before and even looking it up I can't find anything

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2010, 09:44 PM

Because it wouldn't be the truth, I love immigrants that don't lack manners, that are not dirty that don't break laws and trash everything. Those ones are absolutely welcomed. Are you seriously telling me you would be welcoming to those that trash everything exactly the same as those that don't? In the Winter Months Whistler BC is probably made up of over 75% Australian background temporary immigrants on working vacation Visa's and they have manners, don't break laws, are far from disgusting and don't trash the place. And they adapt to our road rules rather quickly too. Don't mind European Immigrants for the most part either, even Africans generally adapt well and integrate into our society. You know its really just the 2 groups of East Indian peoples and Asian peoples (Korean, Chinese) that seem to be the problem.
Yeah, damn those dirty East Indian and Asian people. Those dirty disgusting people.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2010, 03:43 AM

Yeah, damn those dirty East Indian and Asian people. Those dirty disgusting people.
I rather they adapt to western culture or not come here at all.... How hard is it to fracking toss garbage into garbage cans...... Why the hell do you leave for a better life if your not going to do things differently..

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2010, 07:53 AM

A what? I've never herd of that one before and even looking it up I can't find anything

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2010, 09:18 AM

I rather they adapt to western culture or not come here at all.... How hard is it to fracking toss garbage into garbage cans...... Why the hell do you leave for a better life if your not going to do things differently..
hmmmm ... I've seen plenty of people from "western cultures" that don't know how to fracking toss garbage into garbage cans.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2010, 02:21 PM

A Skype Chat this morning on this topic....

[9:49:30 AM] Athens: morning
[9:49:38 AM] Athens: so how much snow did you see this week at your place?
[9:50:06 AM] Click170: Coupl inches
[9:50:14 AM] Athens: London got TONS
[9:50:24 AM] Click170: Snow here is different than snow in BC though, its drier, colder, and gets blown around more.
[9:50:36 AM] Athens: ya and much easier to drive in lol
[9:50:44 AM] Click170: In Bc when snow falls, it stays down. Here, it falls, but then can get blown around some more.
[9:50:47 AM] Athens: Coastal snow sucks cuz its extra slipery
[9:51:16 AM] Athens: its why people from back east who are used to snow end up crashing here in BC in less snow because its so different
[9:51:41 AM] Click170: Nah. People out here are just ****ing RETARDED drivers.
[9:52:23 AM] Click170: Example. Your crossing the street while someone is trying to turn left into you. In BC, they wait at the line before they start moving. Out here, **** the pedestrian, they'll come right up so their bumper is contacting your legs, as if to help you along.
[9:52:39 AM] Click170: Don't be surprised if I get arrested for assaulting some asshole driver who struck me with their car lol
[9:54:01 AM] Click170: And the number of people who don't check for pedestrians on the corner when their turning right is ASTONISHING. I had to stop a little kid and his mother from getting run over the other day because some asshole didn't look before turning. ****ing blew me away how stupid these people are.
[9:55:03 AM] Click170: I can totally see where the stereotypes come from too. Mostly asians or non-white drivers are the bad ones. At least in the short experience I've had here.
[9:55:37 AM] Click170: Yesterday at work, i was out bringing in the carts, and some friggin idiot backed right up into the cart stall. Like REALLY. How can you hit a stationary object! Were you not paying attention???!?
[10:04:13 AM] Athens: yup
[10:04:56 AM] Athens: ive been ranting about immagrants on Macnn forums for the last week in a post I made.
[10:05:03 AM] Click170: lol
[10:05:12 AM] Athens: Its almost always the Asians (exlucing japanesse) and East Indians
[10:05:35 AM] Click170: This whole "give us your license from your country and we'll give you a canadian one" thing is bullshit. IF you can pass the test, you get your license. NO EXCEPTIONS.
[10:06:06 AM] Athens: Worse when they need a interpiter for the test half the time they are helping them pass
[10:06:19 AM] Click170: And really, why the **** are we not re-testing EVERYONE every X years? The hell is wrong with people!
[10:07:04 AM] Athens: Why are we not re-testing people after every single claim. Even minor ones
[10:07:14 AM] Click170: Yeah. Like what the **** is that? "Thats a stop sign. That one indicates the speed limit. That one tells you which light to pay attention to". I'm sorry but if you can't understand those on your own, then you either have to contract an interpreter to drive you around himself, or you don't get to drive, end of story.
[10:07:21 AM] Athens: Slow bump in the parking lot that leaves a little dent and scratch. That should be a automatic re-test
[10:07:28 AM] Click170: Touche. Thats an excellent point.
[10:07:41 AM] Click170: And if they fail, they should have their license revoked until they can pass. No grace periods.
[10:08:08 AM] Athens: yup
[10:08:51 AM] Click170: Its not even like most of the signs on the road have text. Most are iconic. If you can't figure out the icon, get off the ****ing road.
[10:10:02 AM] Athens: MacNN is full of mostly Americans and prob in cities that are mostly white people too so a lot of them dont understand what its like when your the minority in a city 65% recent immagrants who cant drive and dont respect our values like in reguards to trash and claim im racist lol See how you like it if in 20 years 65% of your city becomes one ethnic smorgishborg of immagrants that cant drive that smell bad that dont speak in a language you understand and refused to learn our ways.
[10:10:21 AM] Click170: I'm almost more of the opinion that if you get in an accident that is CLEARLY your fault for not following the rules, you lose your license for life.
[10:10:29 AM] Athens: one of the biggest problems with Asians is no skills and eye sight, most of them need glasses and they dont get them
[10:10:34 AM] Athens: and some do get them and dont use them
[10:10:50 AM] Athens: Remember Canada's Worst driver series, the Asians on every series had the same problem bad vision
[10:11:21 AM] Click170: LOL
[10:11:27 AM] Athens: losing a license for life is a terrible idea, just means more people drive around with no license. If you cant get it back then why would you follow the prohibition on it
[10:11:29 AM] Click170: I never watched it but that doesn't surprise me in the LEAST.
[10:11:53 AM] Athens: Every time the show got them glasses they became almost decent drivers lol
[10:12:01 AM] Click170: Because the penalty for driving without a license should be sky-high, not as low as it is now.
[10:12:06 AM] Athens: at the very least they stopped hitting the objects on the course
[10:12:38 AM] Athens: prohibition never works. If they get into a accident and its not for following the rules jack up the insurance rate by 1000%
[10:12:50 AM] Athens: Stevei s a clear example of some one that shouldnt be driving
[10:13:29 AM] Click170: I think this is one of the few cases where prohibition could work.
[10:13:58 AM] Click170: But I agree with jacking their insurance rate skyhigh at the first accident that their at fault for. (y)
[10:14:45 AM] Click170: But thats really only fair if there is a half-decent transportation system in place, and IMO neither KW or the GVRD have that.
[10:14:54 AM] Click170: As an alternative that is.
[10:15:27 AM] Athens: **** is becoming racist to, years ago he would bitch at me big time about complaining about drivers of other ethnic backgrounds and now he complains about them from what happens at work and understands me more
[10:15:50 AM] Athens: Germany is becoming more anti immigration collectivly as a nation over the same issues with it
[10:16:11 AM] Athens: globolization ****s up money, jobs and quality of living lol why are we becoming a global world again?
[10:16:16 AM] Click170: I'm sorry, but when there is CLEAR evidence that the person causing/commiting the infraction is of ethnic decent, and you start ragging on them for that, thats NOT RACISM. Thats cause and effect. Get over it.
[10:16:53 AM] Click170: Because its in the best interest of corporations to expand as much as possible. Profit profit profit!
[10:16:53 AM] Athens: if i sensor your name can I add this to my rant post on MacNN
[10:17:20 AM] Click170: Just change my name to click170. No need to censor it, just use my online handle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2010, 02:22 PM

Jesus, at least bold the relevant parts.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Jesus, at least bold the relevant parts.
you mean cherry pick phrases out of context so it looks really bad vs letting people read everything in its context?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2010, 02:30 PM

[10:10:02 AM] Athens: MacNN is full of mostly Americans and prob in cities that are mostly white people too so a lot of them dont understand what its like when your the minority in a city 65% recent immagrants who cant drive and dont respect our values like in reguards to trash and claim im racist lol See how you like it if in 20 years 65% of your city becomes one ethnic smorgishborg of immagrants that cant drive that smell bad that dont speak in a language you understand and refused to learn our ways.
Lulz. DC here. We:

- Are majority non-white
- Can't drive (but like to blame it on Marylanders)
- Have horrible public services and compliance with said services, including trash pick-up
- Have lots of smelly Salvadorans and Ethiopians

And I don't agree with you.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2010, 02:33 PM

you mean cherry pick phrases out of context so it looks really bad vs letting people read everything in its context?
That's why I said bold and not remove. You've let hytecktroll get to you.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2010, 02:48 PM

Athens: how are your experiences and generalizations actionable? What would you suggest we do with them?

Forum Links
Forum Rules