Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > US is an oligarchy, not a democracy

US is an oligarchy, not a democracy (Page 9)
mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2014, 09:29 AM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 09:54 AM

Agreed. I don't understand why anyone feels he should apologize or "check his privilege". That's pure idiocy. My personal assistant is now a "certified" multi-millionaire, through self-discipline and resourcefulness, should she apologize too? Oh wait, nevermind. She's black. WTF was I thinking? Right?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Agreed. I don't understand why anyone feels he should apologize or "check his privilege". That's pure idiocy. My personal assistant is now a "certified" multi-millionaire, through self-discipline and resourcefulness, should she apologize too? Oh wait, nevermind. She's black. WTF was I thinking? Right?
She was privileged to be your personal assistant. *

I found this just after posting : On Princeton’s ‘Why I’ll Never Apologize for My White Male Privilege’ - TIME

I'm a WASP. I guess that I will be forever privileged.

*Thats my attempt at a joke BTW.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 11:46 AM

I'm not inferring that anybody should apologize, and I'm not about to delve into the concept of white privilege, but we should also not be silly enough to pretend that we are "post racist". If we were, that Donald Sterling story probably would not have existed.

I guess it just takes time for the remnants of something as large as racism such as what existed in America pre-civil rights to dissipate.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think I get your point, and I think you get mine (that it's pretty difficult to compare this kind of work to other kinds whether casting it in a positive or negative light), so I'm happy.

I'm rather obsessive about being understood (even if that person doesn't agree with me), even when people are jumping on my dick.
I thought I got your point, but now that you explicate it as it being hard to compare the two, I don't. They're not hard to compare at all.

The long-term success either the pop star or the entrepreneur enjoys is going to be a question of how they took advantage of the opportunities to work hard.

I'm not talking about someone offering you a juicy contract "opportunity", I'm talking about writing an essay in your head about why a movie worked or failed, giving the people in line to get autographs a show, rather than just a piece of glossy paper with Sharpie scribble on it... finally forcing yourself to read Programming Pearls... whatever.

The free market rewards people who take these type of "opportunities", and the more you take them, the bigger you will be rewarded. I'd say the scales of effort are exactly equivalent.

The rate at which you make money is going to be related to the industry you're in, but that's the individual success reflecting the industry, not the other way around. Teenage pop-stars serve a massive audience with plenty of disposable allowance. That's why success in that industry involves a massive payout.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 01:52 PM

I mean, I understand the words, and the order they come in forms an argument, but I see no evidence. What you have provided as evidence are examples of how you don't perceive them working as hard.

I've responded to this with many examples of work it appears you weren't aware of, along with an explanation of how distorting your view of celebrities is the one job of the celebrity industry.

IOW, reasons for mistaken impressions.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 01:53 PM

You did get the point, but then he changed it, trying to get you to follow him while he's moving the line.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 01:59 PM

It did feel that way a bit.

If they're not comparable, how exactly did we get 100 posts of four separate people slagging the unfavorable comparison?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2014, 06:32 PM

Besson moving the line mid-argument ?
That never happened before.

This is why I hate discussions with him.
He'll twist, and turn, say one thing but mean the other, say that he agrees, just to completely disagree in the next sentence.

I'm not sure if he does it intentionally, but he surely doesn't own up to it when he gets called out.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2014, 03:51 PM

subego: I've lost focus of tracking this thread and have gotten really busy, and looking at your latest responses to me I'm having a hard time remembering where this thread was. Maybe I'll come back to this later, but I didn't want to think that I was ignoring you or blowing you off.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2014, 02:45 AM

It is appreciated!

Forum Links
Forum Rules