Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Headphones

iPod Headphones
sunoxen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 10:42 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a good set of headphones that might compliment the iPod besides the supposedly crystal clear ear buds.

Earbuds can get uncomfortable after awhile, and I would love to know of something that had both great sound/noise reducing, and would match or compliment the iPod aesthetically. Either of the "studio style" variety, or anything. Trying to navigate sites about headphones is terrible, and the reviews that I have seen are biased in one way or the other.

Thanks,
sunoxen

"I wanna see movies of my dreams."
-Built to Spill

<SpinyNorman>
Nov 1, 2001, 11:02 PM

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 11:14 PM

probably wouldn't match, but i'd go with the grado SR-60's....best sub $100 headphones ever..i highly recomend them

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Max8319 ]

Eugene
Senior User
Nov 2, 2001, 02:41 AM

I am listening to music on my SR-60s right now..no contest. The Grado SR-60s are the best 'budget' headphones ever. Most good headphones these days require an amp to sound good. The SR-60s don't.

And they don't attract too many stray looks.
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020090060

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2001, 07:50 AM

Grados - in general, sound excellent, especially down the low ends. But they're too damn uncomfortable.

Those B&O headphones are meant to be pretty good, but they're buds. And they're too friggin expensive, for buds. If you don't balk at the price, then go for it, but I think they're too much. I do however have a friend who is very happy with them.

If I were to buy a pair of buds to replace the Apple shipped ones, I'd get these: Sony MDR-E888LP. They're supposed to be great.

You can get into big ass headphones (ie Sennheisers, etc) but they kind of defeat the purpose of an iPod, don't they?

-- james

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 02:41 PM

The only headphones I've ever bought are Koss. Very clean/crisp.
Never blew a pair up either, even when a Navy roving patrol said my stereo was so loud he could hear it at the end of the hall, and I was weraing the phones.
All the way back to the 70's with my first Pro4A to my most recent, Pro4AAA's that are pretty old now too. They were the first to offer 20-20kHz response in a non-amplified phone(like the old Sennheiser electrostats).
I'll be looking tho once my iPod arrives.

Z

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by jamesa:
<STRONG>
If I were to buy a pair of buds to replace the Apple shipped ones, I'd get these: Sony MDR-E888LP. They're supposed to be great.</STRONG>

I see the SP model of these ear buds and they're $77.95!!! But check out the specs:

FEATURES:

Fontopia� in-the-ear design fits snugly, yet comfortably inside the ear; eliminates the headband so you can enjoy music while exercising, skating or dancing
16 mm Diameter Driver delivers deeper bass, extended treble and higher fidelity, yet remains small enough to fit inside your ear
Bio-cellulose diaphragm for remarkable,full-range sound, frequency response from 8 to 27,000 Hz
Sony Acoustic Twin Turbo� Circuitry uses sound chamber and ducts for improved efficiency, gets high sonic output from your portable stereo
Thinner housing and slim, super-flexible ducts for a snugger, more comfortable fit
Silent Cap prevents sound leakage, makes your music less likely to disturb your neighbors
Neodymium magnet for maximum energy in minimum size; ounce for ounce, Neodymium is far more powerful than conventional Samarium Cobalt or Aluminum magnets
Linear-Crystal Oxygen-Free Copper (LC-OFC) Class 1 Cord uses high-tech copper crystals of exceptional purity for outstanding signal transmission, minimum noise
Stylish, Neck-Chain Cord nLong cord bushings on ear buds help prevent tangles, enhance durability
Gold-plated mini-plug for exceptional corrosion resistance, superb conductivity, low noise. Faux leather case neatly stores the ear-buds and headphone cord when not in use; ideal for carrying in a pocket or purse.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Type: Lateral, In-the-ear, Open-air,
Dynamic Driver Unit :16mm diameter
Diaphragm: Bio-cellulose
Magnet: Neodymium
Cord: LC-OFC Class 1, Length: 13 inches
Plug Gold-plated: Straight Stereo Mini Plug (1/8")
Impedance: 16 ohms
Sensitivity: 108dB/mW
Power handling capacity: 50mW
Frequency Response: 8 - 27,000Hz
Includes: Soft case, Ear pads
Weight: 0.25 oz. (7g), without cord

Now, if people complain about the iPods price, I wonder about the people who are REALLY into their music who must complain over the cost of a "simple" set of ear buds!? Oh well..

Enjoy,
Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2001, 06:42 AM

You'd probably want the E888LP model for the iPod, not SP. They're very nice headphones indeed, I've had a pair of the SP model for my minidisc player for nearly a year. Too bad the cord would be too short to use with iPod, the headphones that come with the iPod look like they'll be rather decent anyway.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 09:18 AM

these are currently the best model on the market.

-r.

lextek
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 10:52 AM

Another option for earbuds are SennheiserMX500s under $20 and they sound great. I've used them with my Nomad II Mg, iBook and hopfully next weekend with my iPod. And I find them very, comfortable with the "foamys" on.

Bob

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: lextek ]

<Beetle>
Nov 3, 2001, 04:27 PM

A great set of headphones, that will match the iPod perfectly is the Sony MDR-EX70SL "nude" earbuds in the white color. These are truly great sounding earbuds at a reaonable price, but I am not sure if they are available outside of here in Japan.
I found a web site that imports them. MDR-EX70SL
I can't wait to get my IPod, hopefully there won't be much of a delay!

justinmj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 07:39 PM

I have the Sony MDR-EX70SL's as well, and like them a lot. I am a professional musician and engineer and have high standards with regard to headphones; they sound great...they have an open, natural sound with a very good bass extension. I have relatively small ear openings, and these fit comfortably with no irritation for long periods of time.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by justinmj:
<STRONG>I have the Sony MDR-EX70SL's as well, and like them a lot. I am a professional musician and engineer and have high standards with regard to headphones; they sound great...they have an open, natural sound with a very good bass extension. I have relatively small ear openings, and these fit comfortably with no irritation for long periods of time.</STRONG>
Maybe I should give these a shot.. I went to the Apple Store today to take a look at the iPod and the headphones that it come with seem big for my ears. The foam helps but still, it's like sticking two UFO's in there. The EX70SL's look smaller in the picture but are the too "intrusive"? I see they go "deeper" in the ear as stated in the description. Now is that uncomfortable?

Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

<Beetle>
Nov 3, 2001, 11:04 PM

The EX70SL are strange in that they do stick into the ear cannal itself, instead of resting on the "ear flap" as the included IPod phones do, but this is actually great for two reasons.
One is that they stay in place no matter what you may be doing, the fit is comfortable, yet firm.
Also, the firmness in the ear cannal also add to a better bass response for some reason. Like the ear cannal is a drum. A tighter drum has a tighter and contained sound.
I can't stress enough how great the EX70SL's are. Maybe the only thing you have to worry about is keeping your ears clean.

Eugene
Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 07:45 AM

Without an amp, none of the more expensive Sennheisers can even touch the SR-60s in sound quality. You can't use a pair of Sennheiser HD580s on an iPod. I'm not sure how the Sennheiser HD-590s are...they're advertised as suitable for portable use, but the impedance suggests they'd suck without an amp.

These Sennheisers are $200 ore more as well, while the SR-60s are $70. Read about the SR-60s on epinions.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...&subTopicID=26

^^Some of the best headphones on the market, and the Headroom people aren't afraid to badmouth a particular headphone.Check out the Etymotic ear-canal headphones...and the prices...wow.

But like those guys say, the SR-60s are the best headphones for listening without an amp. Unless you plan on carrying a $200-300 portable amp that needs its AAs switched every 2 hours, you might as well get the SR-60s unless comfort is your main concern.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Eugene ]

<HeadphoneMan>
Nov 4, 2001, 06:17 PM

B&O earbuds are shite.
Get Grado SR60/80 or Etymotics

DyslexicCow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2001, 06:55 PM

I thought the whole point of the iPod was portability?

Those don't look very portable at all.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: DyslexicCow ]

Dyslexic Cows go OOOM!

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2001, 08:29 PM

I got a the Sony MDR-E888LP's. They sound pretty good but do tend to hurt after a while (but all earbuds get somewhat uncomfortable on me). $60 online. The MDR-E828LP's are not as good, but considering they are only about $8, are a great bargain (much better price/performance ratio).

Personally though, I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-7506's that sound really good and are very comfortable - I usually take these on those intercontinental flights and wear them the whole time. Of course, they are studio style headphones and not particularly suited for portability...

Eugene
Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 10:36 PM

My definition of portability is the ability for a headphone to be driven without an amp. Now my Grados came in a box no thicker than 1.5 inches. I can easily store these headphones on top of other items in my headphones bu I usually just ring them around my neck anyway.

If you want earbuds (yuck,) that's your choice. I never liked earbuds, especially since my ears aren't earbud compatible. And the Etymotics aren't worth the extra $$$, IMO.

I don't know about the Sennheiser earbuds, they might be a good choice. They're certainly inexpensive.

EDIT: The Sennheisers have a 1/4 inch plug, heh...weird...maybe those Koss clip-ons?

jonny05
Nov 5, 2001, 08:22 AM

I got a pair of the Sony EX70's and they're sweet. Earbud-style phones hurt my ears after a while, but these have silicone bulbs on the end and are v. comfortable. The fact that they go further into the ear doesn't bother me. They sound great.

dante
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2001, 04:51 AM

I like my Sony MDR-G72's.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 07:22 PM

Just be sure to lock whatever headphones you get in a drawer or something, if you have cats.

The amount of times I've come in to the house, bunged my Rio down on a table somewhere and come back five minutes later to find a couple of moggies ripping them to shreds is uncountable (well, at least five times).

I gave up buying earphones costing more than �20, and just now I'm down to the rubbishy wee things that cost �4 out of Maplins. (a bit like Radio Shack).

I keep my big ass Seinnheisers locked up in my studio - no-one gets them but me! (but they ain't for walking about the street)
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2001, 09:03 PM

These look like they would match the style of the ipod, but not to sure about the sound:

If you like those there are a few more here.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2001, 10:48 PM

Those grandos look really nice, and I can drop 65 on headphones, but I am wondering how loud are they from a third person perspective. I listen to my CD player (will be iPOD by saturday) in math class and I don't want to impead on others learning so I have to beconsious of the sound that they are producing to the out side world thats why I picked up a pair of floding sony ear buds that produce little sound to the outside world. So whats the over all loudness of the grandos and the other ones? will they disturb others in math class with my ipod low or high?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Eugene
Senior User
Nov 7, 2001, 04:32 AM

You listen to music in class?

Anyway, Grados can pick up any detail so you're not supposed to crank them up to some ungodly volume. They're open-air headphones, so you'll definitely hear ambient noise...I hear the fan on my computer.

People sitting right next to you may hear something.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 07:41 AM

I have to agree with zac4mac and others that Koss is very recommendable. I have the Porta Pro model, and they are extremely good (notice that they have a foam padding above the ear, so they don't rest on the ears).
Just too bad they are so ugly

Peter

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: peterthorn ]

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2001, 06:35 PM

Thanks I will try out my ear buds on my ipod and see what they sound like. and will make a conclustion on the sound quality.

FishDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2001, 06:49 PM

Gotta put in another vote for Grados - those are really nice sounding headphones (although admittedly not as portable as earbuds).

As for noise - my office-mate will attest to the fact that, when cranked, sound spills out of the Grados pretty readily. Still - man, they sound sweet. Having used a pair, you will never go back to those cheapo headphones again.

Fish

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 07:13 PM

Well, I just ordered a pair of Sony Ex70SL's and as a treat to myself, also ordered the SRST77 speakers! Now I can listen to good music and not go crazy as I sit a lonely tissue culture room! Whoo hoo!
iPhone 4 / iPad!

<higuy83>
Nov 8, 2001, 08:26 PM

Does anyone know anywhere WITHIN the U.S. that sells the Sony EX70SL earbud headphones? I did a web search and practically all the sites were either written in Chinese or had to be internationally shipped. Thanks....

B

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2001, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by &lt;higuy83&gt;:
<STRONG>Does anyone know anywhere WITHIN the U.S. that sells the Sony EX70SL earbud headphones? I did a web search and practically all the sites were either written in Chinese or had to be internationally shipped. Thanks....

B</STRONG>
I ordered my items from minidisco.com. That's where I originally got my minidisc player (which now is being replaced by an iPod!). They ship same day too! They have great people working there and I have done business there before being satisfied with the whole process.

Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2001, 10:57 PM

I'd recommend minidisco.com as well... Plus, they use Macs to run their business!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2001, 10:59 PM

I'd recommend minidisco.com as well... Plus, they use Macs to run their business!

sunoxen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2001, 01:27 AM

I just received my Sony MDR-EX70SL from minidisco, and they are wonderful! I used to have some crap wrap-around Sony's, and not until now have I really listened to my music in such wonderful detail! And you can't run these at full strength. I ran Du Hast by Rammstein, and they made the back of my head ring.
I'm so happy about them. And minidisco was great, and included three blank Mini-discs with it for free! (I do not know what I will do with them with my iPod traveling home from Taiwan. But they look nice.)

<Joyce>
Nov 9, 2001, 01:31 AM

Of those who have recieved their iPods, how do the buds sound? I'm wondering about how they might compare to other headphones.
Thanks.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2001, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Joyce&gt;:
<STRONG>Of those who have recieved their iPods, how do the buds sound? I'm wondering about how they might compare to other headphones.
Thanks.</STRONG>
I'm no audiophile but I'd have to say that, to me at least, the included ear buds sound better than my Sony EX70 buds and almost as good as my Sony E888s (which are the best earbuds Sony makes)... It's too bad the included buds just aren't very comfortable to wear.

freaktornado
Nov 10, 2001, 11:31 PM

Regarding Grado headphones. They do sound great, I have a pair of SR325's ($300) for music production work, they are the best headphones I've ever heard...BUT all Grado headphones are open design, they do not block outside sound. If you're in a quiet room, they are perfect, but they aren't good for outdoors.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2001, 01:01 AM

Any one tried the Bose noise canceling head phones? At $299 I think they're overpriced but they sound nice. Any one tried these with a portable?

<higuy83>
Nov 11, 2001, 01:26 AM

The Bose noise cancelling headphones are really the first decent pair of headphones I have ever purchased. I have to say that they are indeed worth every penny, especially if you fly often. They literally knock out 85% of ambient noise (like a plane's engines,) allowing the sound to flow in crystal clear.
Nonetheless, I believe that I am going to purchase the Sony EX70SL because, although their sound is awesome, the Bose headphones are rather bulky and do not fit the streamlined shape of the iPod. However, if size is not an issue, I would reccommend the Bose ones in a heartbeat.

(BTW, I just got my iPod today in Chandler and it ROCKS!)

-B

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2001, 10:59 AM

my sony MDR-A34s aren't that bad I've used them for about two years now and the need a replacement so I am thinking of getting the MDR-EX70SL from minidisco.com and they will go perfect ly with my ipod.

iMan
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2001, 12:13 PM

All of these are quite nice headphones. But the problem for me is they are also quite expensive.

I would like to find a nice Sub-$30 set of headphones that are aat least the quality of the iPods but just not so big.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

sunoxen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2001, 04:04 PM

I think much of the complaints about some urgent need for "bass boost" are based on the sound head from the included headphones. They have a more "airy" and "open" sound that diminishes the bass response.
I have been using the Sony EX nude earbuds for the last few days, and when I put the iPod headphones in, it actually shocked me at how bad the sound was in comparison.
I wish that Apple could swing a deal with Sony to have some sort of Apple branded nudes for the next iPod, the difference is astounding, and the bass is clear and thumpin'
Sure, Apple will find a way to stick an equalizer in eventually, but the problem that people are having might be an earphone problem.

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2001, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
<STRONG>I'm no audiophile but I'd have to say that, to me at least, the included ear buds sound better than my Sony EX70 buds and almost as good as my Sony E888s (which are the best earbuds Sony makes)... It's too bad the included buds just aren't very comfortable to wear.</STRONG>
Heh, just for contention....

I happen to feel completely the opposite. The EX70's are much nicer than the included headphones, sound wonderful, and fit very comfortably.

I'd advise them to anyone, and I trekked round Ottawa's sony stores on Sunday looking for a second pair to include with the iPod as a gift :o) They do stock them, and they came in at under $100 Cdn after taxes. My only grumble, I couldn't find the white ones.

Ben.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2001, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>

Heh, just for contention....

I happen to feel completely the opposite. The EX70's are much nicer than the included headphones, sound wonderful, and fit very comfortably.</STRONG>
Well like I said I'm not expert

I'll be using the EX70s as well just because the included headphones are too uncomfortable to wear. White ones are only available as imports from Japan, I believe.

CAM
Nov 13, 2001, 05:06 PM

Could someone with an iPod please measure the diameter of one of the "earbuds" and post it here. It would be nice to have that frame of reference.

Thanks!
All Is One Is All

<macdlt>
Nov 13, 2001, 06:17 PM

I just picked up a pair of EX-70LP for about $50 at Good Guys. They're SO much more comfortable than the iPod-included earbuds--for my ears, anyway. I could probably keep them in all day, though I'd be a bit concerned about wearing them while running as they tend to isolate you acoustically.

Cucumber Jones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by CAM:
<STRONG>Could someone with an iPod please measure the diameter of one of the "earbuds" and post it here. It would be nice to have that frame of reference.

Thanks!</STRONG>
Roughly eight and one-half feet across.

CAM
Nov 13, 2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Cucumber Jones:
<STRONG>

Roughly eight and one-half feet across.
</STRONG>

Hmmmm... I think it would be hard to wear those for anything longer than an hour!
All Is One Is All

<Dave>
Nov 14, 2001, 01:01 AM

Based on the recommendations of people in this forum, I ordered a pair of Sony MDR-EX70SL earbud headphones (from www.minidisco.com) and received them today -- easily the best pair of headphones I've ever had. They're comfortable as hell (don't let the diagram that makes it look like they stick so deep into your ears that they touch your brain fool you) and they sound great. I couldn't keep the ones that came with the iPod in for more than 20 min. It's like trying to stick manhole covers in your ears.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who recommended the EX70s.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2001, 10:41 AM

What's the difference between the Sony MDR-EX70SL and the MDR-EX70LP. Seems like SLs are only in Japan and and the LPs are here in the US. I just saw the LPs for $38 on buy.com. Maybe I'll pick 'em up at BestBuy. I need a quick fix. Shipping time is not an option unless the price is a lot more.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Forum Links
Forum Rules