Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Serious design problems with the iPod

Serious design problems with the iPod
cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 06:56 PM

like the battery. I'm not going to have the money to buy one until January, and I'd rather not buy a original-production iPod if an iPod 2 comes out and all the earlier one's problems were fixed. Does anyone know about further iPods?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2001, 07:15 PM

like the battery.

What;s wrong with the battery ?

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2001, 07:17 PM

What are you talking about? How would anybody know anything about rev b products when rev a hasn't even shipped?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

dante
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2001, 04:41 AM

What about the battery, cdhostage? I've got a Li-Polymer battery in my Ericsson mobil phone and have had no problems with it.
Your not talking through your arse, are you?

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 08:55 AM

Ya, what's wrong with the battery?
In case you're too lazy to read any of the other threads on the battery before posting a new topic:

- The battery is removable and can be replaced.
- The battery is comparable to a flattened Li-Ion.
- The battery lasts a very very long time. If you can waste it, you're nuts.
- The hard drive is removable.
- Everything is removable.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 09:45 AM

You say it has "Serious problems" yet you only name 1 and say nothing other then 3 words about the only 1 problem you say it has.
And you don't even say what the problem with the battery is!!

And you say "I'm not going to have the money to buy one until January." that tells me that you don't have an ipod and could not know about any "design problems with the iPod"

:o

bluedog
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 10:14 AM

My thoughts on the battery are:

If its a 10 hour play time, what if you are going to be away from a charging source for more than 10 hours?

Its a similar problem with PDAs, I have a Handspring that uses AAAs. If I ever am out and the batteries are low, I'm nearly guaranteed a to get a replacementssomewhere nearby. If I want I can bring extras along with me.

With those that have fixed internal batteries (yes they can be replaced, but not on-the-fly) you can run into a situation where you can't recharge right away.

I guess its just as similar to people's use of cell phones and keeping them charging all the time. But with a cell phone you can always replace the battery and have a spare along. It seems like the internal battery for the iPod will either cost a bundle for a 'spare' or be unavailable. I'd like to see someone come up with a potenial product of a 'firewire battery' for the iPod for long trips that you can plug in and use for 'days.' OK, maybe that's not the most demanded product out there, but I'd like it!

cdhostage  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 10:23 AM

Sorrysorrysorry! I've just heard (on these boards) that the battery is prone to failure, and that taking the thing apart to replace the battery is kinda hard. It's the classic computer conundrum: do I buy a computer now, or wait for the better one to come out? Especially when it's $400 for an MP3 player.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by bluedog:
<STRONG>If its a 10 hour play time, what if you are going to be away from a charging source for more than 10 hours?
</STRONG>
Sorry, this is just too funny. This is like saying, what if I have to drive somewhere but I run out of gas and no station is around?

If your iPod runs out of power then find an electrical outlet and plug the damn thing in. Or plug it into a Mac. If you can�t, I guess you have to go with no MP3�s for a while.

If you think Apple is going to make the iPod run on AA's and double the size of the unit and lower the battery life you got another thing coming. What if no store that sells AA�s is around? Should Apple open up retail stores across the country that sells AA�s?

Let me guess, you also want Apple to sell the iPod for $199.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by bluedog:
<STRONG>My thoughts on the battery are:

If its a 10 hour play time, what if you are going to be away from a charging source for more than 10 hours?

Its a similar problem with PDAs, I have a Handspring that uses AAAs. If I ever am out and the batteries are low, I'm nearly guaranteed a to get a replacementssomewhere nearby. If I want I can bring extras along with me.

With those that have fixed internal batteries (yes they can be replaced, but not on-the-fly) you can run into a situation where you can't recharge right away.

I guess its just as similar to people's use of cell phones and keeping them charging all the time. But with a cell phone you can always replace the battery and have a spare along. It seems like the internal battery for the iPod will either cost a bundle for a 'spare' or be unavailable. I'd like to see someone come up with a potenial product of a 'firewire battery' for the iPod for long trips that you can plug in and use for 'days.' OK, maybe that's not the most demanded product out there, but I'd like it! </STRONG>

Similarly, what if I go outside and I get hungry? What if I go somewhere that has no refrigerator? I could get really hungry then. What if I go somewhere far away that has NO food (not just no delicious food, but none at all)? That would suck. We should petition Apple to do something about this design flaw.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: aaanorton ]

neurack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 01:33 PM

I think it is funny when people complain about a 10 hour battery.

Would you rather have it be like the Nomad Jukebox? It can use rechargable or regular AA batteries. Except for the fact that on its rechargables it can only last 3 hours, and on normal alkaline batteries it is about 30-45 minutes. (Besides that it is bulky/heavy/slow/etc. but that is for another thread)

10 hours is a Good Thing. Players with lots of storage take a lot of power to run them. That's just the way it is. Running a 16mhz Visor on AAs is vastly different than powering a hard drive and headphone amp.

Built in li-ion isn't just the better decision, it is the only way to go given the requirements.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by neurack:
<STRONG>I think it is funny when people complain about a 10 hour battery.

Would you rather have it be like the Nomad Jukebox? It can use rechargable or regular AA batteries. Except for the fact that on its rechargables it can only last 3 hours, and on normal alkaline batteries it is about 30-45 minutes. (Besides that it is bulky/heavy/slow/etc. but that is for another thread)

10 hours is a Good Thing. Players with lots of storage take a lot of power to run them. That's just the way it is. Running a 16mhz Visor on AAs is vastly different than powering a hard drive and headphone amp.

Built in li-ion isn't just the better decision, it is the only way to go given the requirements.</STRONG>
I'm not complaining! In fact, other people have gotten 12 hours! Yees!!!!!!! I want mine NOW!!!

<wiggles>
Nov 7, 2001, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by timmerk:
<STRONG>

I'm not complaining! In fact, other people have gotten 12 hours! Yees!!!!!!! I want mine NOW!!!</STRONG>
What do you feed to those sideburns?

Are they carnivorous?

Are they housebroken?

Hot damn.

davidmd
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2001, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<STRONG>

Sorry, this is just too funny. This is like saying, what if I have to drive somewhere but I run out of gas and no station is around?

If your iPod runs out of power then find an electrical outlet and plug the damn thing in. Or plug it into a Mac. If you can�t, I guess you have to go with no MP3�s for a while.

If you think Apple is going to make the iPod run on AA's and double the size of the unit and lower the battery life you got another thing coming. What if no store that sells AA�s is around? Should Apple open up retail stores across the country that sells AA�s?

Let me guess, you also want Apple to sell the iPod for $199.</STRONG>
Actually, it's not very funny at all. If you've ever looked at Sony's MiniDisc line, you know that they include an attachable AA battery pack with all of their units (which use slim gum-stick-shaped Ni-MH batteries). These provide a temporary solution to power when the internal rechargeable runs out. Even if temporarily destroying the form factor of the iPod, a similar attachment pack would allow one the freedom of taking the iPod on long camping trips, long long plane rides (like to hk), or to foreign countries with different currents (no adaptor hassle). Although most people probably won't be affected by this, it might be something that Apple should think about. Even a 3rd party could probably make some small adaptor that could fit into the FireWire port... who knows.

davidmd

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 09:23 AM

Your sig is as big as your sideburns.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 09:48 AM

If you really need extra electrons, make an adapter. Build a battery pack to put out the right voltage( I think FW is 12v, not sure. USB is 5v) and a FW cable end to plug into the iPod.
No big deal.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: zac4mac ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules