Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook!!!

New iBook!!!
dante
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 06:31 AM

I've got an iBook! Just, got my new 600Mhz 12" combo! all I need now is to replace my iMac 400 DVSE with a new G4 iMac.

Wow this book is great. I'm sitting on the couch, typing away using airport. The iMac is a software basestation.

This is the first time i've used X since I had the public beta on the iMac and it's great. I hope I don't have to use 9 again.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2002, 08:17 AM

The implicit connotation of your subject, "New iBook!!!," suggested to me that you had information on a new line/revision of the iBook. Oh well, better luck next time, right? Congrats on your new machine - every new Mac is inherently a wonderful experience to cherish, and you made a great purchasing decision. The freedom you gain with Airport greatly augments your iBook computing experience - I wish I had an 802.11b network for my iBook. (Unfortunately, I cannot justify such a purchase at this time, nor can I shake my apprehension of WIFI security.)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CandyMaffia
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 01:18 PM

I agree with my friend bigMac...i also thought this was a new ibook model, but it wasn't...but congrats kid for your new ibook...smile for your life!!!!!!
imac g5 20" isight ed. user with ipod shuffle, ibook g3 700mhz, nokia 6680, canon cp3200

dante  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 04:40 PM

it was a ploy to get people to look at my post. It worked.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2002, 05:10 PM

Ah, springtime, when a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of love...

Congrats on the new iBook, hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Your iBook, I mean, not mine, because I won't be enjoying *your* iBook per se, mainly I'll be using mine... I don't think I'll be coming over and using yours, right? I mean, I guess I could, but I'm kinda busy with stuff, and I ... I really gotta go... talk to you later...

MinivanH8R
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by dante:
<STRONG>I've got an iBook! Just, got my new 600Mhz 12" combo! all I need now is to replace my iMac 400 DVSE with a new G4 iMac.

Wow this book is great. I'm sitting on the couch, typing away using airport. The iMac is a software basestation.

This is the first time i've used X since I had the public beta on the iMac and it's great. I hope I don't have to use 9 again. </STRONG>
Cool, I just want to share the happiness with you I just ordered the same iBook today from MacMall, it's supposed to be here in 4 days...I'm so excited!!

Further in debt I go...oh well, you only live once!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 11:15 PM

I'm not trying to be mean or a troll when I say this, but as much as we are happy that you got your new 'Book, it's not worth forum space. Use existing "I got my iBook" threads to post your story. I'm especially irritated that your title was crafted to draw attention that could have been given to other, useful posts.

dante  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2002, 11:28 PM

No, of course your not.

...and just think, you'll never get those precious 10 seconds it took to read the post back.

Then again, I've lost 30 replying to your wank.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2002, 04:10 AM

Your improper use of "your" just shows how credible you are. I knew I would take this kind of abuse for saying what I did.

Cipher13
Feb 27, 2002, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>I'm not trying to be mean or a troll when I say this, but as much as we are happy that you got your new 'Book, it's not worth forum space. Use existing "I got my iBook" threads to post your story. I'm especially irritated that your title was crafted to draw attention that could have been given to other, useful posts.</STRONG>
Gotta agree dude.

How many posts like this do you think we've seen?

And how different do you think they are each time?

It gets extremely tedious... the last thing we want is a forum filled with useless crap.

BTW, stop the flaming.

pilauh
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 04:32 AM

I have the same model and feel the same joy everyday I use it...

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

dante  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 05:48 AM

Yeah pliauh, it's just great being mobil. Now, if only I can convince the boss we need an airport base station at work.

aeteh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 06:21 AM

<STRONG>I've got an iBook! Just, got my new 600Mhz 12" combo! all I need now is to replace my iMac 400 DVSE with a new G4 iMac.

This is the first time i've used X since I had the public beta on the iMac and it's great. I hope I don't have to use 9 again. </STRONG>
Congratulations on getting the iBook! My iBook 600 with Combo Drive also just arrived (2 days ago), and I am hoping to connect my iBook to the internet using the Airport base station on my iMacDV 400. I was wondering if you'll be able to tell me the following:

1. Do you have Airport cards in both the iMac as well as the iBook?

2. Are you running Mac OS 9 or OS X on the iBook? I read somewhere that the software base station only works in OS 9? I would really like to be running OS X in my iBook, whereas I don't really care if the iMac is running 9 or X while it is being connected to the internet.

I have been really searching for the answers to both the questions above for some time. Any help will be much appreciated.

dante  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 06:31 AM

You'll need airport cards in both the iMac and iBook.
My iMac is running the software basestation under OS9 and I've had the iBook running both 9 & X, but I'm sticking with 9 on the iBook, mainly because of my lack of X apps.

It's piss easy to set up.
Open the airport control panel and click on the button. Make sure the TCP/IP control panel is set to PPP on the iMac and Airport on the iBook.

Good luck and have fun.

aeteh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 09:48 AM

<STRONG>You'll need airport cards in both the iMac and iBook.
My iMac is running the software basestation under OS9 and I've had the iBook running both 9 & X, but I'm sticking with 9 on the iBook, mainly because of my lack of X apps.

It's piss easy to set up.
Open the airport control panel and click on the button. Make sure the TCP/IP control panel is set to PPP on the iMac and Airport on the iBook.

Good luck and have fun. </STRONG>
Thanks for that, dante. Looks like I have to get another Airport card

Forum Links
Forum Rules