Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tell me what you think, since I'm gonna get fired anyway ;)

Tell me what you think, since I'm gonna get fired anyway ;)
MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Oct 28, 2001, 04:01 PM

I decided that since I know for a fact I'm being terminated soon, I'd write a final letter to my boss. Let me know what you think

Dear Carol:

Well it�s come to the end of the road for me. I�m sorry about the way I became but you don�t understand why. When I started here I was making 20k per year, and I took it because I wanted to get my �foot in the door�. This is the first job I�ve ever excelled this well in. I am and have been an artist since the age of 13. But if you can dig-up my old (crappy looking MS Word) resume, you�ll see how little I knew about typography and commercial art before working here. Believe me, my latest resume reflects everything I�ve learned here, plus all my capabilities in illustration and actual design work.

I�ve learned alot working there. I didn�t know one damn thing about typography or layout until working here. Thanks to John I learned what they just don�t teach in college or trade schools about Typography. Linda also tought me alot as-well, so did Bob, and Kathy, and even your �buddy� Amy.

I got my first Mac about 1 year after starting here and learned it inside and out. When Matt left Federal I felt I should share what I know about these computers to fill the void left by him. Matt tought me alot about this stuff also. Matt found DataMerge and I took it home and played with it. It worked even better as a solution to the Mecca way of doing those jobs, and thanks to that we could get the Mecca systems offline. What used to take weeks now only took hours. No true Computer Graphics pro has ever heard of that system or would want to work on it either. I was instrumental in making it �go away�.

I did let all of the credit and attention go to my head, and took that out on you. For that I am truly sorry. I let my confidence and pride in what I can do turn into �ego�. I hate egotistical people, I can�t believe I let myself become one. But Lots of people fed my ego to become that person. And I refuse to feel that I wasn�t entitled to the credit I received for my efforts either.

I had a better opportunity on the night shift. I could troubleshoot and maintain our systems without any people looking over my shoulder. Linda gave me alot of credit for my research as well. I wasn�t �banned from your system� (which I�ve known why for about 1 month now). When you take away things I�d always been accessable to before all that e-mail stuff happenned there�s simply no way �I can be the person I was before�. Because that person felt and was made to feel entitled to a certain amount of power over the department.

There were alot of little things you�d said to me prior to the first e-mail to you which prompted that letter from me. Lots of issues with �why I would want to take over your job� and �why I was trying to make you look bad in front of the department� (your words, not mine). Now I realize those were obviously issues about respect. I respect those that have tought me things I need to know. Either issues about respect or issues about you feeling threattenned by my abilities, you tell me. Respect is something that you earn, not something that�s just handed out without anything at all in return. Kathy was willing to teach me because I tought her. That�s strange since she�s senior to me. She should have been open with me from the get-go.

Some of the rest of this may come-off as �harsh� but you should listen (for a change).......If I didn�t care at all I wouldn�t bother writing any of this.

I�ve learned everything about this job from everyone else but you. Now, if you want to think I�m just writing all this because I want to make you feel bad, that�s fine, but it�s not true. If I didn�t even care at all about you I wouldn�t waste my time writing it. If I didn�t like my job there I wouldn�t have stayed either. I really hate the �if you don�t like it leave� bullshit. Perhaps I wanted to change some things for the betterment of everyone, but that just rubbed you the wrong way didn�t it? Tough **** ! When I tought Kathy DataMerge, she suddenly became more open with her knowledge with me about trapping and direct mail type jobs after that. Before that, she�d act like she didn�t know. As if she was playing dumb. Despite what you �think� I know how important those jobs are and do know something about trapping. You just never had a hand in my training because you never offerred it.

You need to give Kathy the credit she deserves for her expertise. I happen to know she�s not super happy with her job, but keeps it for obvious reasons (her kids, her Husband, her house etc., etc.) Reasons we all need to earn a living really. Even me, with no wife or kids. But I also enjoy what I do. I chose to persue a career as an artist, because that�s what I am. I keep in contact with Steve and Ken also, I thought you should know that as-well. Ken thanked me before he left for everything I showed him. Ken had a connection with a printers UNION and his union friend wanted him to try to unionize the shop. I didn�t do anything �special� for Ken that I wouldn�t do for anyone else. I believe in sharing my knowledge and not using it against them. Because of that openness with my knowledge I�ve made it alot easier for you to �get rid� of me. I knew that possibility way before you ever were selected as supervisor.

You also seem to only care about Direct Mail and Jim�s jobs as-if that�s all Federal does. That�s total bullshit and you know it. Just because you�ve gained an expertise in one (1) thing doesn�t make you any better than anyone else. I suggest you try out DataMerge and learn from Kathy, because Amy doesn�t know it all yet. Your�e the friggin boss you should know how to do everything. Kathy also has some great ideas which expand on the way I finally set-up your server (the one I proposed for the company).

I realized that some people here don�t want everyone to know everything they do a while ago, but I hoped I could inspire people to be more open with one another. I�ve always tried to share everything I know. Your�e the first person I�ve worked for here that made this feel like �work� (Like a �chore� instead of something enjoyable and fulfilling). Your�e the first person that won�t share any knowledge with me and doesn�t seem to care about learning anything from me that I know and you don�t either. When approached with a problem since the e-mail thing you just act like you �don�t have the time� then get frustrated. Is it any wonder I can�t respect you? Show me something I don�t know and I�ll respect you. Again, it�s earned not �handed out�.

I can�t help but wonder why you gave me the impression that our meeting over the first e-mail back in June 2001 was a private issue, or that you�d have lead me to believe nobody over your head knew about it. I found out this was a lie when I met with Jim (one of the company owners) after seeing the Ad for my (pretty obvious, except for a few big things) �replacement� in the Star Ledger on September 30th. It�s sad that you perpetrate lies. It�s your own lies that have made me lie about things. I don�t appreciate being accused of �insanity� or of being a �liar� when your�e behaving the same way. Now I see the ad running again. I also wonder why Steve felt he should lie about not being able to find a job on the server. Another victem in my opinion.

You also seem to want everyone else to �bend over backwards� for you, but don�t want to respect anyone for doing it. I also believe that because of your manipulative capabilities (I honestly didn�t think people like you even existed) that you may have been instrumental in Linda�s �retirement�. I know Jim and Larry (company owners) were giving her a hard time before she left, but I wonder �why�. Did you say something about how much credit she was giving me, and how all that credit was �wrong� or �making you look bad�? More bullshit! If you can�t handle certain tasks then you need to ask for help. If yu can't deal with the fact that some people know more than you do then you shouldn't even be here.

You seemed to proudly take credit for Victors getting fired (I never knew the guy but have heard he worked for Federal for 22 years). Before you took over as supervisor I never saw one person get fired. After you took over I saw enough people get fired to make anyones head spin. I remember asking you about Matt and Rob once and why they left (or something) and you said �well nobody ever liked Matt/Rob�. That was a pretty bold statement, since many people there did like Matt and Rob. Rob left because he was passed over as the next potential supervisor even though he knew the job better than you did at that time. Matt left because from what I understand Jim and Larry stopped listenning to his ideas. It�s things like that, that tell me alot about you and this company in general. You don�t know how to lead or inspire people to want to follow you. That�s a shame. I actually feel sorry for you.

Jim was right, I�m not the �center of the universe� at Larry�s and his company, but niether are you. You need to learn how to deal with people without crying to Jim or Larry or Joe all the time. You keep bahaving like this and you�re head will be on the chopping block someday, and you�ll be the one wondering �why�, as I am right now. But I�m above it all right now and I truly believe that what comes around goes around also.

And remember that when you can truly show someone how much you appreciate everything they�re doing for you that thier efforts for you will increase 1000 fold. I never hated you, we just had a difference of opinion. I filled-in for you once and I did a damned good job. Just be yourself, stop sucking-up, and remember those that are busting thier asses for you and to make you�re ass smell like roses.

That�s what they teach in the military also, so I suggest you be prepared (boy scout motto) for when your son goes to West Point. Honesty breeds integrity. Integrity = teamwork. I don�t like the �cogs in a machine� analogy that Joe gave months ago. It makes sense on one level, but remember we�re all people and wer�e not freelance artists making $25-$50 an hour. We�re also not just throw away workers. You remember all that and respect your crew and you�ll do well. And as many differences as we�ve had I wish you well. But you need to show some appreciation for those that make you look good too.

I sincerely hope you can analyze yourself from this (my last) letter to you. As for me? This is just more motivation I need to move on to bigger and better things. I�ll take everything I�ve learned there and all my capabilities elsewhere. When I lost my previous job I mass mailed resumees and within three weeks I landed this job. I�m willing to wager I�ll be back on my feet alot faster this time around.

Goodbye (for now)

Mike M.

P.S. That coffee cup I had around the office depicted the �Reality� of big fish eating little fish. My sister got that for me when I was like 19 years old. The interresting thing is, I�ve always felt that enough little fish could eat a pretty big fish if they were provoked to do so. Watch your back because someday you may piss enough people off that they�ll revolt. Not everyone there wants to eat your **** and say �mmmmm can I have some more�.

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2001, 04:06 PM

If you were smart you'd go to your boss and say. "I'm looking to move on and would like you assistance in getting a new job. I'll be interviewing soon and would like to use you as a referece. In addition ...."

It's better to look for a job while you have one. If you get the support of boss it will be much easier.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

MikeM32  (op)
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Oct 28, 2001, 04:21 PM

Nile, I respect your opinion. The thing is she's a piss poor manager. I have no respect for her. She wants all the "bells and whistles" of being in charge but doesn't want to carry the burden.

She totally made herself over once she got promoted. Now she carries the "Big Black" bags to work, and has a "cell phone", which she never had before.

Nah, she's just too "phony balogna"

Mike

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2001, 04:35 PM

Mike: Don't take offence. You asked.

It's too long by at LEAST three-quarters. It's so long, I quit reading it. She will, too.

Don't start a letter with Well.

Don't bloody apologize for ANYTHING. That thing will stay on file forever. Apologies mean you are accepting fault and blame. It's horribly, horribly wrong to do so. Never apologize in writing, especially when it's going to management.

Don't get into anything personal. Don't say how much you learned. Don't say how much you've improved. It isn't relevant. It makes it easy to reply that you haven't learned enough. That, combined with apology, leave you wide open for anything, and there's a lot you don't know going on there that could be blamed on you. All that's needed is an opening.

Don't write it as if you are leaving them an opening to talk and persuade you not to quit. Even if that unlikely event happens, they'd still have those apologies until the sun burns out.

As well as cuts, it needs an editor � badly.

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>Nile, I respect your opinion. The thing is she's a piss poor manager. I have no respect for her. She wants all the "bells and whistles" of being in charge but doesn't want to carry the burden.

She totally made herself over once she got promoted. Now she carries the "Big Black" bags to work, and has a "cell phone", which she never had before.

Nah, she's just too "phony balogna"

Mike</STRONG>
So. Use her one last time to get a job you'd rather have.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2001, 04:50 PM

It IS waaay too long, i allso quit reading, But why are you ratting on Kathy??? Even though she's not too happy in her work she'll still be there after you leave. You certainly wont be making thing any easier for her.
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2001, 05:01 PM

Mike, kill the letter from this board. Most is irrelevant to your employment and posting it on the net is actionable. it's loaded with libel.

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: San Acoustic ]

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 05:16 PM

All I can say is... Pathetic.

Hmm, a thirty-something divorced man that makes less money than your average pool boy and spends most of his day on MacNN is going to be unemployed soon...
Shocking!

The prospects future for success seem somewhat limited.

You should bite the bullet, act like a fuc&ing man, and work through it. Do what you can to improve the situation.

OR at least find another job before you quit. If you go on Unemployment because you couldn't cut it when there are many other people getting laid off because the economy is in the toilet, that is just sad. Frankly, it pisses me off. I want to beat you with a Garden Weasel.

Don't run away while crying like a little girl with a skinned knee. If you want to tell this woman off, do it in person. Show a little backbone.
It's easy to sound big in writing, especially when you probably spent two hours of company time composing the letter.

Your letter of resignation should be short and to the point., because all she needs to know is you are leaving. Anything above that can be said face to face.

With any luck, your job will be filled by someone who is more competent, and more deserving.

(By the way, I hear Taco Bell is hiring...)

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2001, 05:17 PM

Mike:

The main benefit of writing this letter is for yourself - to get all the crap out of your system. You've done that, so the letter has already accomplished its main purpose, even without sending it.

The BEST thing you could do with this letter is to file it away in a desk drawer at home and leave it there forever.

The WORST thing you could do with this letter is to give it to your boss NOW. It could lead to justification for your termination in your personnel record.

Somewhere in between would be keeping the letter to yourself until you are actually terminated. THEN give it to her.

Maybe you would also want to CC it to the company owners and/or anyone else remaining behind, whose opinion you care about.

Also, I agree with other opinions that it's a bit long, and too far to the personal side of the personal/professional line in places. Definitely do some editing! Other than that, though, it's a good expression of your feelings and your position.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2001, 06:55 PM

i'd suggest spell checking it and rewording parts, for example "the first job i've ever excelled this well in". excel means "to perform very well", but it does not have any degrees... you either excel or you do not (just as you are or are not dead). if you change things like that, it will make a better impression.

-r.

Waterman
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2001, 07:34 PM

Say it with flowers,
Say it with mink,
But never, ever say it with ink.

-ancient algonquin proverb

Asimuth
Oct 28, 2001, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by FormerLurker:
<STRONG>Mike:

The main benefit of writing this letter is for yourself - to get all the crap out of your system. You've done that, so the letter has already accomplished its main purpose, even without sending it.

The BEST thing you could do with this letter is to file it away in a desk drawer at home and leave it there forever.

The WORST thing you could do with this letter is to give it to your boss NOW. It could lead to justification for your termination in your personnel record.

Somewhere in between would be keeping the letter to yourself until you are actually terminated. THEN give it to her.

Maybe you would also want to CC it to the company owners and/or anyone else remaining behind, whose opinion you care about.

Also, I agree with other opinions that it's a bit long, and too far to the personal side of the personal/professional line in places. Definitely do some editing! Other than that, though, it's a good expression of your feelings and your position.</STRONG>

Best advice I have ever heard. You cannot change a system from the outside, you can from the inside - but you probably shouldn't. That "if you don't like it... leave" is not bullshit, it takes a great deal of courage to leave what you are familiar and comfortable with. Use that courage to leave with some dignity and self-respect. Your letter will not change a thing but it has worked to make you work through your issues so take it as a success and file it away.

Everyone is judged by their long-term success. It takes a long time for Karma to catch up with some people but it always does. If your nemesis is as incompetant as you say then she is in for a big fall, show some mercy and look away. You can't recreate what your workplace was like in the heady days, you can't unstuff the chicken, so walk away.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 08:27 PM

I'll reiterate its length issues and, no matter how pissed off you may be, never, EVER curse in a letter. Its *very* unprofessional. You can explain how upset you are in a letter without resorting to cursing. Second of all I would speak to this woman first (again, with professionalism, i.e. no hissy fits), and if/when you are terminated *then* you can have a letter sent and cc'ed to upper upper management. I would recommend rehersing a coherent and well thought out speech to give her and schedule a meeting, perhaps even after work in a neutral place, and speak to her.

nick

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Oct 28, 2001, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Waterman:
<STRONG>Say it with flowers,
Say it with mink,
But never, ever say it with ink.

-ancient algonquin proverb</STRONG>
That's perfect!

Yeah Mike, I too suggest you ask one of us to delete this thread, burn that letter, and never think of it again. Never burn your bridges behind you.

If you are resolute, I suppose you should chop that letter in half, at least, for it is way too long. I didn't finish a third of it.

Never write anything down when you're mad, unless it's to yourself. In this day and age, not only is it an embarrassing obstacle to put stuff in writing that could land in unwanted places, but also could get you into trouble legally. Especially when you're posting it all around the world.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2001, 10:50 PM

Mike,

I can sympathize with your feelings; we've all worked for totally incompetent managers, who often don't know s**t from Shinola, but you should NEVER send or give a letter like this to a supervisor! If this person is the b***h you say she is, the letter will do nothing more than make her more inflamed, and someday may come back to bite you in the doopa! It's nice to write these things down, just to help you get it off your chest. but it will not change a thing at the company, as it will only make you look like a complainer and whiner, and you'll still be the one out of work!

It's been said many times, but it bears repeating: In life's situations, there are three responses you can give to something you don't care for.
  • Work constructively to change the situation.
    Put up with the situation.
    Exit the situation as best as possible.

I'd suggest that you consider the last option as soon as possible.

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: KarlG ]
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 10:51 PM

I agree with the others. Also, it sounds like you are resigning right from the start. You should take the main professional points and bullet them or go to her and ask point blank if she is planning to fire you.

new newton
Banned
Oct 28, 2001, 11:14 PM

The last bits make you sound like a deranged stalker. "Good bye (for now)" What's that?

Letters have a way of following a person. If some prospective employer calls and wants some perspective on you, all she'd do is fax that to them and they'd never, never call you back.

Leave if you have to, but don't make a fuss as you go. It'll do nothing for you.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2001, 11:56 PM

Mike: first, I have to agree that the letter is on the long side. I also think it would definitely be a good idea to take out mentions of other current employees, If she already doesn't like you this letter could only hurt them. If you condense it a bit and make sure you're not saying anything that could hurt anyone else then I'd say send it, by all means. Just do it after they've "let you go" (that was probably your plan anyway, but another opinion can't hurt, can it?). Oh yeah, make sure you leave that part in about you being able to get a better job because of all you've learned despite her. I just love the irony in it.

MikeM32  (op)
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Oct 29, 2001, 02:59 AM

Heh the irony is she is firing me. I've seen the ad in the paper for my replacement. I've decided to delete the above letter however and NOT e-mail it.

But I have e-mailed the following letter of resignation....

Letter of Resignation 10/28/01

To all concerned;

I realized before I started here at Federal that my pursuits were going nowhere because I wasn�t doing what I was meant to do or what I enjoy doing. I have been an artist since the age of 13 (20 years now) but never really believed I could actually make an honest living doing it. After one "blue collar" job too many and with little formal training as a press operator, some design courses in college, and with a (looking back now) poor looking resume I finally decided to just try. Federal gave me my first shot in this line of work and all I had to do was try. Within three weeks of losing my previous job I started my career in computer graphics here at Federal.

It has been a great priveledge to work for Federal for all these years. This has been my �foot in the door� opportunity as mentionned in my original resume here. I am grateful to all those who are still at Federal or have since moved on that have imparted thier knowledge and expertise of computer layout, typography, pre-press production, proofing and proof-making, networking and troubleshooting systems, software, etc., etc.

I learned everything I know about typography and layout from working at Federal, most of which they just don�t teach in college or trade schools anymore. I didn�t even know what a �widow� was before, or what �proper� paragraph spacing should be, that�s just to name a very few things.

When I decided to take my artistic talent seriously and persue it as a real career I promised myself I would enjoy it. After-all, it�s what I enjoy doing and what I was meant to do. Part of that promise to myself was that if it ever �felt� like �work� or the �day-to-day daily grind� that I would need to move on. Some choose to think that that feeling is inevitable wherever they go in life. Some choose a career with little vested interrest in what they choose to do, as if they �picked it out of a hat�. I did not choose to be an artist, I was born one. I also do not choose to believe that I cannot affect a positive change or influence in whatever work environment I find myself in. I�ve always known this has never been a creative design position but I am now at an impasse where I simply feel I must move ahead.

It is with deep regret that I must say that recently it has felt more like �work�. I feel that I have peaked for the most part with my knowledge of this line of work. Regretfully I feel that everything from this point forward will simply be a repetition of what I already know with little challenges ahead. Since there is little left to challenge my mind and little opportunity left to share my knowledge it�s simply time for me to move onward and upward elsewhere.

I will put in two weeks (plus) work prior to leaving the company. I'd like to work until November 15th (about 2 weeks, or one more pay period). I also expect that those two weeks will be honored by the company. I would like to receive all un-used vacation days in my final check as I have given an official notice in this letter. I expect all my retirement benefits and whatever other benefits I am eligible to as I am officially resigning through this letter.

I won't apologize for it having come to this point. I will simply say that it was a great opportunity to learn. I have learned all I could from Federal, and as I mentionned above it's simply time for me to move ahead. I thank all those involved with my growth. Namely Kathy and John and others that have since moved on like Matt and obviously Linda. I will always hold a special place in my heart for Linda as she supported me always. Linda made me realize that there are good people in this world, and that mutual respect is a tangible thing. I will never forget the ones that taught me all I know. Knowledge is indeed power and my head is ready to explode for everything I've learned there.

I would also like to apologize to you Carol. I let my confidence and pride in my accomplishments there turn into "ego" and "vanity". And I subjected you to it. You and I got along pretty well before and I wish we could have repaired that relationship. I want you to know I like you and I always have. I want you to know that however you felt you had to deal with all of this that I forgive you. It was also not your fault. I changed because I was too concerned about the way you felt about me. I hope you forgive my vanity and my ego. I'd like to think that we could still be friends despite what's happenned between us. I've learned a valuable lesson from all of this. Not about work but simply about people. Perhaps this is why I've been alone for so long. You are a beautiful person and you didn't deserve this. I can only hope you can forgive me.

Please feel free to e-mail me or call me if my services are needed again. During what will definitely be confusing times ahead without me. I will try to help the best that I can. My replacement may not understand everything as-is.

Best Ragards/Wishes

Michael

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2001, 03:10 AM

Bad move. You should have done what I said.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2001, 03:19 AM

in your latest letter, it kinda sounds like she broke up with you, and you're trying to repair the damage done -_-

but eh, it's all good in da hood
ice

marusin
Senior User
Oct 29, 2001, 11:24 AM

and once again, I see the spell check was turned off while typing your "letter"...

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2001, 12:01 PM

Mike:

No matter how bad your job is, no matter how incompetent your manager is, no matter how stupid your coworkers are -

Don't burn your bridges.

You may need a reference someday. Who knows, maybe you'll end up freelancing for a while and they'll send you work. Preserve your relationships, they'll pay off.

I lost my job in June, and believe me, it was hard as hell not to sabatoge the company website or ruin relationships. But I'm very glad I didn't give in to that feeling. It's paid off in spades.

Be careful and good luck.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2001, 12:51 PM

dav
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2001, 01:42 PM

<STRONG>During what will definitely be confusing times ahead without me. I will try to help the best that I can. My replacement may not understand everything as-is.
</STRONG>

arrgh, that sounds awful, like you have a huge ego.

i wouldn't have sent it, or at least paid matsu to write something for me.
one post closer to five stars

Lerkfish
Oct 29, 2001, 02:29 PM

FWIW

write with a passionate heart, but edit with a cool head.

There is NEVER an advantage professionally to telling someone off. Even the momentary satisfaction it gives you is just that...momentary.

Always keep everything professional, not personal. Point to places where you accomplished something professionally or contributed to the employer. Avoid references to your own feelings or those of others...for one thing, its unprovable, and for another, once you've put yourself in the realm of emotion, NOTHING you say after that is valid. Even if you have good points, they'll be ignored. It will make it too easy to write off everything you say as sour grapes or whatever.

Burning bridges is a lonely, solitary exploit. There are no heroes, only victims for that type of thing.

Another thing to remember is that no workplace is inherently fair or just, THEREFORE attempting to appeal to someone you ALREADY think is unjust will certainly gain you no justice, in fact just the opposite.

its a little late to advise you, I realize, but maybe someone else reading this will take a heads-up

MikeM32  (op)
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Oct 29, 2001, 02:57 PM

The damage is done, it's just a matter of time.

It's all part of my "plan" &lt;diabolical laughter&gt;

I've just gotten to this point where I'm sick and tired of walking on eggshells knowing my head is on the corporate "chopping block" that's all, and that's "why".

I'm really trying to force thier hand. I even stayed home today and told my boss I was going on interviews.

Mike

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2001, 03:05 PM

If you were smart, which you're not, you would have done what I suggested.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

new newton
Banned
Oct 29, 2001, 03:07 PM

You want to force their hand? Resign. You sound nuts.

Lerkfish
Oct 29, 2001, 04:44 PM

<STRONG>The damage is done, it's just a matter of time.

It's all part of my "plan" &lt;diabolical laughter&gt;

I've just gotten to this point where I'm sick and tired of walking on eggshells knowing my head is on the corporate "chopping block" that's all, and that's "why".

I'm really trying to force thier hand. I even stayed home today and told my boss I was going on interviews.

Mike</STRONG>
I can only hope there is no family depending on your for financial support.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2001, 08:18 PM

1: LEARN HOW TO SPELL (OR AT LEAST SPELL CHECK!!!)

priveledge
mentionned
thier
persue
interrest
un-used
mentionned
happenned

2: MORE WORK, LESS MACNN

3: HAVE FUN LOOKING FOR A JOB NOW... DESIGNERS = .10� A DOZEN[/LIST]

neophilia
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2001, 09:49 PM

mike,

just wanted to say, dunno where you took design classes, but here at drexel, typography is drilled into us. even for lowly digital media majors like myself. any school that doesn't cover typography in their design courses shouldn't be allowed to hand out diplomas.

oh and mitchell:
3: HAVE FUN LOOKING FOR A JOB NOW... DESIGNERS = .10� A DOZEN

god how i'm feeling that fact nowadays..
-peter, http://peter.neophiliadesign.com/

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: neophilia ]

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2001, 10:07 PM

...but I have so many unanswered questions!

Did Kathy marry John? Did Linda realise that Carol was Kathy's gay lover before their fling? Did Ken find out about it? Did Bob get "the" operation?

Now we'll never know....

Aaargh!

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2001, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>1: LEARN HOW TO SPELL (OR AT LEAST SPELL CHECK!!!)

priveledge
mentionned
thier
persue
interrest
un-used
mentionned
happenned

</STRONG>
Hmm, and we are to believe that was was going to get fired from his job doing typography because of interpersonal relationship problems???? Well, at least he was good at the "typo" part of it.

------
I'm a RAzaRazor .

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2001, 12:02 AM

1) show up for work tomorrow

2) accidentally crash their entire computing infrastructure

3) open a beer. preferably an Olde English 40 oz.

4) call your boss over and tell her you're 'retiring'

5) pat her on the butt and wink

6) offer her a swallow of your O.E. 40

You only live once. Do it right.

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2001, 12:18 AM

yea #3 worked out so well for Rodny King.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 12:37 AM

I would have written the letter very differently. However, this is not the forum* for me to discuss such matters.

*the true sense of the word
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2001, 12:43 AM

Wow.. so much good advice here from people. Mike, I really hope you take some of it.

Forget whatever 'plan' it is you have, everyone telling you to rip up that letter is correct. That's the kind of thing that WILL indeed follow you around and come back to haunt you in future job situations.

I agree with what someone said, that "..Goodbye(for now)" bit makes you sound like a real nutcase. As does airing a lot of personal laundry and ratting out other in the letter. And yeah, it's way too long. Very unprofessional. Honestly, at first I thought it was some kind of jilted 'lover' letter.

Think of it this way, this boss you hate so much, will use this letter to DEMONSTRATE that her wishing to do away with you was entirely justified. Anyone who had a doubt in your favor, will have it erased. You'll go out, putting a feather IN HER CAP! She'll probably be patted on the back with "Sorry we doubted you about that guy being trouble."

Why on earth go out like that?

From this thread, I'm really impressed how many people here are willing to impart some great advice in situations like this. Don't waste the advice.. it's overwhelmingly good. Swallow your false 'pride', be professional, and leave with dignity... leaving at least the possibility of being remembered favorably by others at the job... other people who will make good references and contacts down the line.

Never burn bridges is always good advice. Never worth it, and can come back to haunt you in ways you never imagined.

I once worked with a lady- at a level not above myself-- who I couldn't stand, but luckily I was one of the few never to make my dislike of her known. Several years later, lo and behold I'm at another job in a different location entirely, and there she is, this time in a position to make my life HELL if she wanted to. Enstead, she remembered me fondly, and I never had a problem, even while she made life hell for others! I learned my lesson about being careful who I interact with in a work situation right then and there... treat EVERYONE with mutal respect, or at worst indifference, as if they may be your next boss!

Anyway, hope you burn this letter and get on with things! Listen to your fellow forum members!

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2001, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Wow.. so much good advice here from people. Mike, I really hope you take some of it.

Forget whatever 'plan' it is you have, everyone telling you to rip up that letter is correct. That's the kind of thing that WILL indeed follow you around and come back to haunt you in future job situations.
Well, CRASH, I must admit I am impressed. It seems that I had you down as a rebellious-under-25'er, not too far away from Mike. Your post here definitely proves otherwise. You are either at least 30-something, and/or wise beyond your years....

Think of it this way, this boss you hate so much, will use this letter to DEMONSTRATE that her wishing to do away with you was entirely justified. Anyone who had a doubt in your favor, will have it erased. You'll go out, putting a feather IN HER CAP! She'll probably be patted on the back with "Sorry we doubted you about that guy being trouble."

Why on earth go out like that?
Exactly! Thatt's the point I wanted to make in my first post to this thread, and CRASH has made it better than anyone else so
far, IMHO.

Rule No. 1 as far as I am concerned is "Never let the Assholes win"

And yet, that's what Mike is setting himself up for - letting his asshole boss win, exactly like CRASH said.

Rule No. 2 is "Never burn your bridges"

Sorry, Mike, you missed the big picture on this one, and you managed to break BOTH of the rules above. If you have actually sent the second e-mail (at least it was better than your first draft), then I can only hope you learn and handle the next such situation with more professionalism and maturity.

If you sent that e-mail, then the asshole is gonna win, AND you've burned the best bridge you've had thus far in your brief professonal career...

From this thread, I'm really impressed how many people here are willing to impart some great advice in situations like this.

Don't waste the advice.. it's overwhelmingly good. Swallow your false 'pride', be professional, and leave with dignity... leaving at least the possibility of being remembered favorably by others at the job... other people who will make good references and contacts down the line.

Never burn bridges is always good advice. Never worth it, and can come back to haunt you in ways you never imagined.
I must admit, I am currently faced with a personality/political struggle for survival in a small enterprise that I helped start
about a year ago. Alot of what has been said here has been very helpful for me personally.

My biggest problem has been the fact that the "Marketing Director" (who has grown the business negligibly) gets paid 3 times what I get paid, has put in 2 years less than me and others in the company, and was only brought in at an absurdly high salary because he is an ol' buddy/business associate with the partner who we asked to run the company. Plus, he lives on the othe side of the US from the rest of us, and we PAY for his plane flights to come here twice a month...If he had grown the business half as much as was expected, we'd be bringing in twice the income and could afford to pay everyone else the kind of salary that this guy is getting.

I have worked for a year for $2000 a month (following 2 years of NO pay) of 30 hours a week doing work that I bill other clients $70 per hour for, on the promise of an eventual salary increase, and now that I've developed web sites and several customized FileMaker Pro databases that make the running of the business a breeze (and it brings in over $30 K per month), those who don't want me around want to move me to billing $50 per hour with no more monthly salary. The justification is that I have a bad attitude, since I constantly vocalize my feelings of unfairness about the high salary (combined with lack of performance) of the Marketing Guy.

I have no problem with marketing people who are paid on performance rather than salary, as it tends to allow them to rise to
the level of incompatancy that they deserve (although in some cases they get rewarded very nicely for increasing company revenue).

A high salary for a marketing guy, BEFORE the revenue is there to support it, combined with a low salary (no raise 4 me is justified by the fact that the budget doesn't allow for it, due of course to the high salary for that damn Marketing Guy) for the computer guy who puts all the products and services together so the marketing department has something to sell, is just not RIGHT!

Further details could be a whole 'nother thread, and maybe should be, based on all the good advice that was posted here.

I once worked with a lady- at a level not above myself-- who I couldn't stand, but luckily I was one of the few never to make my dislike of her known. Several years later, lo and behold I'm at another job in a different location entirely, and there she is, this time in a position to make my life HELL if she wanted to. Instead, she remembered me fondly, and I never had a problem, even while she made life hell for others! I learned my lesson about being careful who I interact with in a work situation right then and there... treat EVERYONE with mutal respect, or at worst indifference, as if they may be your next boss!
What goes around, comes around.
It may not be immediately obvious, but the scales WILL balance out eventually.
The best way to confront BAD karma, is with GOOD karma!

Anyway, hope you burn this letter and get on with things! Listen to your fellow forum members!
Yep. There is a lot of wisdom here, from comrades who have been through it all before.

Well, I wanted to save my 200th post for something significant... I hope this qualifies.

EDIT - line breaks, formatting, UBB - all the usual suspects

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: FormerLurker ]

Lerkfish
Oct 30, 2001, 10:55 AM

The biggest illusion that we have to let go of, and of course the hardest, is that being employed should be a fair and equitable enterprise for all involved. Obviously, it isn't. It will make things easier to endure if we accept from the outset that just because we have a job does NOT mean our employer OWES us happiness or satisfaction, or even a fair shake.
The only person in control of our happiness or satisfaction is US. Our employer should offer us compensation or wages for our efforts, and that is all we can reasonably expect.
HOWEVER, this does not mean we cannot accurately assess the lay of the land and intelligently influence the powers that be so that our jobs can be more fulfilling. If I may, let me offer some things to think about:

Think about your job situation as it would be viewed from your supervisor's point of view. For example, If you are dissatisfied because you aren't challenged enough, you could either:
1. b!tch about it as loudly and often as possible, hoping that mere annoyance will convince your supervisor to treat you better (from their view: a constant complainer wants a better work assignment? not likely)
OR:
2. find instances where what you want and what your supervisor want coincide, and offer to accomplish or improve those items. (from their point of view: Tom is a real solution-oriented guy. Here's a plum assignment...hm...give it to the constant complainer or the guy that solves problems? hm.....not a tough choice at all)
3. Is your supervisor incompetent or shys away from responsibility? Try handling some small items off his or her plate, small victories that make them look good. (from their point of view: thank god that Tom is proving himself an invaluable assett. From other's point of view: Tom does a better job handling that stuff than his supervisor. Next time there's an opening, let's consider a move up)

Do you need something to feel happy? For example, I'm an artist and was getting fried at work always doing computer bar charts and such...was getting rusty at hand drawing. I first b!tched, then I thought "my boss doesnt OWE me the work I want to work on, and even if he tried to give it to me, he wouldnt know exactly what I want". So, instead, I went to bars after work and started doing life drawings of patrons who didnt know I was doing it. It was fun, it honed my observation and rendering skills, and got me a load of free drinks to boot, and allowed me to think more creatively so that more creative solutions to boring assignments occurred to me so that I did a better job and eventually got better and better assignments. Only YOU can motivate yourself...so get off yer butt and get on it!

oh well, just some thoughts.

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 30, 2001, 04:38 PM

change of pace: i'd like to sincerely wish you good luck. you're obviously too good for all this sh*t, an i hope you find a job you enjoy where people appreciate you. so many people can't put situations like these into perspective; i believe the worst thing you can do is completely suppress your feelings. i say good for you for moving on when something is harming you.
:c)

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Nile Crocodile:
<STRONG>If you were smart you'd go to your boss and say. "I'm looking to move on and would like you assistance in getting a new job. I'll be interviewing soon and would like to use you as a referece. In addition ...."

It's better to look for a job while you have one. If you get the support of boss it will be much easier.</STRONG>
Very good point...

Don't burn bridges.

Keep your allies close, and your enemies even closer.

MikeM32  (op)
Banned
Oct 31, 2001, 03:49 PM

Actually I already weighed that out a while ago. (Management as a reference) The problem is Management here are trained monkeys. There are better people within the company that I actually do have good references from.

Management was once good here, but it went "south". I can at least use references that respected my abilities. Why would I even want an ignorant management system to give me any "reference" at all.

They don't even know thier asses from thier elbows

Mike

Lerkfish
Oct 31, 2001, 04:12 PM

<STRONG>Actually I already weighed that out a while ago. (Management as a reference) The problem is Management here are trained monkeys. There are better people within the company that I actually do have good references from.

Management was once good here, but it went "south". I can at least use references that respected my abilities. Why would I even want an ignorant management system to give me any "reference" at all.

They don't even know thier asses from thier elbows

Mike</STRONG>
I think what people are trying to relate to you is that whether or not you WANT to use your present supervisors as references, they WILL be references when (if) the new job prospect calls to verify previous employment.

In other words, even though their reference will not help you in any way, it can most certainly HURT you. Believe me, I know from experience. I have had only excellent evaluations except from two places I've worked, where I burnt bridges. Even though that's been over 20 years ago, my profession is very incestuous and I know that several times I have been the leading sought after candidate and practically offered the job and then had it withdrawn due to them doing last minute checking of previous employers and snagging one of those two previous supervisors.

We're trying to help you out here, man. Trust us.

Forum Links
Forum Rules