Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > POLL: Apple...

POLL: Apple...
IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 10:45 PM

Well I think Apple will live on and get more and more % of the market.
And I think I did this kind of post once before?
But what do you think?
  • Apple Will live on and get a lot of the market (1)
  • Apple will get worse and worse untill they announce that thay can not continue (2)
  • Or that they will Get a bit better but not much and stay that way? (3)

What do you think?

FERRO
Senior User
Oct 30, 2001, 11:15 PM

thou... I think apple could be doing alot more to promote themselves...

� FERRO 2001-2002

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 11:17 PM

but only if their start hitting the tv, newspaper, and radio of our country with MARKETING!!!!!!!!

HEY APPLE! ever heard of telling people about your ground breaking products?
Naw, then people who be able to see them and get more interested in them

alphamatrix
Senior User
Oct 30, 2001, 11:22 PM

But they really need to let people know about their great products.

pscates
Oct 30, 2001, 11:25 PM

I'm gonna echo the other three here and say 1. They have too much cool stuff NOT to.

However, like the other guys say, if Apple doesn't divert some of that $4 billion into stronger, non "preaching to the choir" marketing, they're really dropping the ball.

That's about the only aspect of Apple that really chaps me: their apparent inability (or disinterest?) in coming up with a cohesive, head-turning and compelling marketing strategy/campaign.

Sitting on all that gold...and nobody seems to know or care

Asimuth
Oct 31, 2001, 12:19 AM

If the other manufacturers are barely making margins in the double figures and you can pull 30% margins in a niche why grow? I know this might be un-American but why charge for market share when you can return more shareholder value by remaining in a profitable niche.

Apple markets to the converted because all it is trying to do is make us devotees feel our over-spending is warranted. I love my Mac, I wish Apple ruled the world, but if they ruled the world... I might not love my Mac

Cipher13
Oct 31, 2001, 01:09 AM

3; or 2 at the rate they're going. Ditch Jobs.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 02:37 AM

unless they do some advertising and address the pricing problems....(don't get me started on the iPod and PowerMacs)
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

iCartman
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 02:40 AM

3. OSX hasn't made any impact in sales whatsoever.
respect mah athoritah!

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2001, 02:47 AM

2 or 3

OS X is great but like others said it's not generating sales. Yet.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2001, 03:11 AM

I'd say either 1 or 3, or perhaps 2

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

IUJHJSDHE  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 03:19 AM

POLL STATUS:

People for number 1: 5 <font color = red> 6 if you count me </font>

People for number 2: 3

People for number 3: 6

<font color = green>Basically:</font>
Most people think number 3
Few people thing number 2
<font color = red>Even with 3 and 1 if you count me</font>

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: IUJHJSDHE ]

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2001, 03:30 AM

people that claimed #1 yet added a disclaimer (but, though, however) - 6

guess they actually meant #2 or 3

IUJHJSDHE  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
<STRONG>people that claimed #1 yet added a disclaimer (but, though, however) - 6

guess they actually meant #2 or 3</STRONG>
Next time you comment please put what you think too!
Not just a comment but something to add to the poll,

Thanks.

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 31, 2001, 04:42 AM

3 as long as there are mac users 2 will never happen... but as long as there are people who desire function over form number 1 won't happen

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2001, 05:31 AM

3 definiteley if pricing and technology strategy stay way they are (iPod not being windows compliant, Pricing of Powermacs without screens to joe PC punter seem excessive)

1 would be fab but is only likely if Apple expand product line and become more like Sony rather than Dell

2 will never happen too much of a dedicated, enlightened user base
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

VRL
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 05:45 AM

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 06:21 AM

They need to revamp their market strategy. Its great that they give Apple fans quirky commercials but their advertising does nothing to bring in a larger market share. They need commercials on that are capable of handling high volume rotations. (Gateway, Intel, and MS all have more air time than Apple) Flashing their products across the screen on a white background is tired and dull. NEW commercials, new advertising strategy, and you will get new customers that will allow the company to grow. Target the hell out of kids via MTV and the right magazines. Focus on creating a new generation of Mac users and give up on converting middle aged baby-boomers who don't want to spend the time learning a new platform.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 10:39 AM

1 if Apple can speed up the process....maybe ditch motorola?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2001, 11:55 AM

well. your options leave out the obvious answer to whats going to happen to them in the future which very well could be "stay the same".

apples commercials, while "quirky" and "edgy" absolutely are not effectively marketing apple. they market the thing that people complain about apple the most. "cute, roundy, colorful, etc". name the last apple commmercial that actually showed how the software works? name the last apple commercial that wasnt some idiot dancing around or that, to put it plainly, actually SHOWED WHAT THE COMPUTER DOES!!!! for all anyone knows, the damn thing is an overpriced computer to run windows! "theres no software for an apple"; for all the average consumer knows, this is a completely valid claim. no marketing of its abilities is whats holding apple back severely. the apple stores are surely going to help in this matter, but a smattering of stores spread across the US is hardly going to make a sizable dent in market share.

your computer supposedly "thinks different"? show it. all youve proven to anyone is that it looks different.

im feeling pretty jaded today (as you can tell by my stupid rant) so i guess im voting for 2. things HAVE to change. the only real marketing for their products is done by their fanatical users. and some of those seem to be dropping off as well. there has to be growth for a company to continue operating. the stockholders certainly arent happy with apples performance, theyre going so far as to press lawsuits.

[edit] id like to apologize to captain obvious for stealing his fire, i didnt even scroll down to the bottom before i fired off my reply [/edit]

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: scaught ]

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 01:20 PM

I agree that the quirky ads are not really all that effective. I am really beginning to think that Jobs should just be the VP for product development because:

1) Apple's products are ridiculously overpriced (esp. PMG4's)
2) They are not visible enough to the market...other than in network TV shows as background ads.
3) Jobs knows how to spearhead and develop superb, even revolutionary products but doesn't know how to market them.

The cube could have been a smash success if they just brought the price down, offered it in colors and bundled it with a monitor as a headless imac with more power.

The iPod may suceed, but people still think it is just an mp3 player. They should have a media blitz near the holidays (now) to tout its other media capabilities). They aso should have found a way to make it a PDA as well.

Basically, I think they will figure things out. The Apple stores are bound to succeed......

#1 for me

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Oct 31, 2001, 01:21 PM

As much as I love Apple I have to say 3 as-well.

They could be somewhere between getting only a "bit" better and having the whole market if (as many others above mentionned) they boosted up thier marketing techniques.

Also when demand is high enough the next best thing to do would be to lower costs a bit. Then watch them "fly off the shelves".

They'll never have the "whole" market though, but they could have a bigger chunk of it.

Apple has to let people know they exist alot first.

Mike

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2001, 01:36 PM

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2001, 01:42 PM

Belle
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 03:28 PM

Regarding the new lawsuit - From The Register:
The new action focuses more on Apple's promotion of the (then) new Power Mac G4, Cube and iMac, claiming that Apple said they were "exceptionally powerful, fast and attractive, coming with exceptionally attractive designs and containing new and revolutionary features" and that they were "ready for mass production, and would be available in quantity shortly".

When Apple published its Q4 2000 results in October last year, the company said that sales of all three products were disappointing. The reason, alleges the Schiffrin & Barroway suit, was that the products were "late to market, had defects and lacked features essential for market success".

The upshot is that Apple's stock, which had risen to $64, the lawyers say, on the back of the launch of said products, fell to $13 when the Q4 results were made known.
I find the fact that people are suing Apple for this quite funny. Apple could surely counter-sue these people for being ****ing morons and believing that Apple could ship products that had "features essential for market success", and ship them on time?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules