Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is there a way to avoid paying sales tax on the iPod?

Is there a way to avoid paying sales tax on the iPod?
cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 12:17 PM

Or at least get it lowered? I remember when I bought my iMac, I put aside enough to buy the $1500 computer, and thought that since I was buying it from the online Apple Store and the US doesn't allow inter-state taxes, I wouldn't ge taxe4d. WRONG! I ended up $200 in the hole. Oh, well.. If I buy an iPod at an Apple retail, will I have to pay an extra $50 or some other enormous tax?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2001, 12:26 PM

Don't you have to pay state tax if you live in the same state where the item is being sold? See whether you can buy it from a store in Montana, where there is no sales tax. If you can't find one on the net, order it by phone. There is a computer store in Great Falls, or there was, years ago. It's probably still there, and likely has competition by now. It sold Apple stuff. Alas, I foreget it's name. You'd probably find the name of the store, at least, on a net phone-book site. Of course, you'd have to factor the cost of shipping, since I doubt you live in Montana. No one does.

Thunderbird
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 12:49 PM

Just buy it mail order from Outpost.com or MacMall or some other internet retailer. None of them charge tax.

marusin
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 01:36 PM

Outpost.com is definitely the way to go.. You can also get pretty cheap overnight shipping if you want as well...

Originally posted by Thunderbird:
<STRONG>Just buy it mail order from Outpost.com or MacMall or some other internet retailer. None of them charge tax.</STRONG>

cdhostage  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 01:38 PM

Will Apple sell it to the Mac magazines and such? Or only make it available from the Apple Stores?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 02:10 PM

Just steal one. No tax @ all.

Belle
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2001, 04:13 PM

1. Wait until Apple opens its store in Portland, Oregon
2. a) Drive to Portland if you are in a neighboring state OR
2. b) Buy a cheap return air ticket to Portland International
3. Purchase one shiny new iPod.

I'm not sure this actually constitutes any kind of saving, but at least you won't be paying tax.

applenut1
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Belle:
<STRONG>1. Wait until Apple opens its store in Portland, Oregon
2. a) Drive to Portland if you are in a neighboring state OR
2. b) Buy a cheap return air ticket to Portland International
3. Purchase one shiny new iPod.

I'm not sure this actually constitutes any kind of saving, but at least you won't be paying tax. </STRONG>
can't do that unless you are paying in cash I believe. Once you give them your credit card they'll see you're from out of state and ask for your driver's license in which case they charge your state's tax.

Will Apple sell it to the Mac magazines and such? Or only make it available from the Apple Stores?
it's already listed on every mac reseller website and has been since the day after the announcement

Belle
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2001, 07:55 PM

can't do that unless you are paying in cash I believe. Once you give them your credit card they'll see you're from out of state and ask for your driver's license in which case they charge your state's tax.

Someone better tell the stores in Portland, then. I've bought a whole load of stuff there and have never once been asked for my driver's license - CDs, DVDs, clothes, a refrigerator (Don't ask), three iMacs, my copy of Final Cut Pro... I believe the only time you'll be asked to produce your driver's license and charged sales tax is if you want to buy a car.

cdhostage  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 09:13 PM

Belle :

Someone better tell the stores in Portland, then. I've bought a whole load of stuff there and have never once been asked for my driver's license - CDs, DVDs, clothes, a refrigerator (Don't ask), three iMacs, my copy of Final Cut Pro... I believe the only time you'll be asked to produce your driver's license and charged sales tax is if you want to buy a car.[/QB]
So... why did you buy a refrigerator in Portland?

applenut1
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Belle:
<STRONG>can't do that unless you are paying in cash I believe. Once you give them your credit card they'll see you're from out of state and ask for your driver's license in which case they charge your state's tax.

Someone better tell the stores in Portland, then. I've bought a whole load of stuff there and have never once been asked for my driver's license - CDs, DVDs, clothes, a refrigerator (Don't ask), three iMacs, my copy of Final Cut Pro... I believe the only time you'll be asked to produce your driver's license and charged sales tax is if you want to buy a car.</STRONG>
really? in Delaware and Connecticut they do it or at least did, I haven't tried since I was turned away

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 12:33 AM

Just order the thing from PowerMax. They are based in Oregon, and do not charge sales tax.
http://www.powermax.com/cgi-bin/gen_pmax.cgi?p=A-NP1023

If you call, ask for Maiya. She rocks. I always deal with her when ordering from them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules