Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another RAM question

Another RAM question
jreniew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 06:19 PM

So... It didn’t take much to realize the 512 MB or RAM on the macbook is not enough... I decided to get more memory. I was looking at a few of the threads about memory and I have decided to go with 2 GB.

Now the question is what memory should I get? I have in mind the following options... and of course money is an issue, I am a college student and money is always short.

OWC $113 x1 macsales.com
Transcend $80 x1 newegg.com
Corsair $89 x1 newegg.com

Of course there are pricier options... But I can’t go that high...

Or does anyone else have any subjection about a good quality low price RAM....

Thanks

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 06:30 PM

The Corsair sticks are working well in my MacBook. Passed memory testing. No kernel panics. Machine sleeps and wakes without incident.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2006, 09:50 PM

I got the 2GB generic kit from powerlinememory.com, shipped for $158. It passed the Apple Hardware Test and there are no problems so far after three days.

se12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 09:58 PM

The Corsair seems to be performing well in all MacBooks. I would go with it.

Zzzou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 10:19 PM

I just got 2 x 512 of the transcend from newegg; works great so far. Passed memtest without a hitch

se12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 10:24 PM

If you don't mind to keep us posted about the Transcend, its just so cheap it almost draws you to it, but I'm afraid of its quality, however I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Zzzou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 10:31 PM

I should've peeled back the sticker and taken a peek at who makes the chips; I believe it's samsung though, so it should be okay. Its running fine so far; no problems....I haven't run prime95 on them but I got no errors running memtest.

After our raid tonight, I'll fire up world of warcraft on my macbook and see how it does

masugu
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by wolverinewizard
I should've peeled back the sticker and taken a peek at who makes the chips; I believe it's samsung though, so it should be okay. Its running fine so far; no problems....I haven't run prime95 on them but I got no errors running memtest.

After our raid tonight, I'll fire up world of warcraft on my macbook and see how it does

Yeh...please comment on WOW...I want to start, but may start on my Dell PC....or new Mac Pro - when they come out in August!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Zzzou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 11:32 PM

Be wary of WoW...it will suck your life away!

I personally recommend running WoW on Windows XP if you can; I have it on my main machine (AMD 64 3500, nvidia 6800 gt, dell 24" monitor) and just put it on my macbook in Win XP with bootcamp. Apparently the drivers for the intel GMA work a lot smoother in WoW with XP than in OS X, so the performane in XP is noticeably better (Blizzard currently knows about this, so they're working on it)

jreniew  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 01:11 PM

I am planning on buying the ram next weekend and will let you guys know when i install it... whats up

Forum Links
Forum Rules