Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To Writers

To Writers
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 06:32 PM

Which laptop would you recommend for writing, using Word and Final Draft.

I own an ibook 500 which I like and has a great keyboard.

I used to own the 1400 c which still is a great keyboard.

Just wondering what otehr writers use. Do you stick to an old workhorse computer that you've had for years to write?

I would, but you even need new computers just to keep up with the software and e-mail..

love to hear your thoughts.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2003, 06:38 PM

The new AluBooks have the best keyboards Apple have produced in years, if not ever...

I write and usually stick to something I know that that works, but have=ing owned an Alu, I would say to check them out soon... you will be more than impressed!

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
The new AluBooks have the best keyboards Apple have produced in years, if not ever...

I write and usually stick to something I know that that works, but have=ing owned an Alu, I would say to check them out soon... you will be more than impressed!
I have used the new computers... and I love the TI book... but the new keyboard on the 12 and 17 are so great... I bet they would be even better on a 15...

I'm still unsure on the 12 because it does get hot. For writer out there using there computer say 18 hours a day... for writing, research, fantatsy sports, more wriitng... when does it get too hot? how long can you go?

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:

I own an ibook 500 which I like and has a great keyboard.
If you think the iBook has a great keyboard then it really doesn't matter what computer you get. I think that it is the worst one apple ever made! But in all honesty you don't realize it until you type side by side on a 12 inch powerbook.

jsiburt
Aug 18, 2003, 08:38 PM

I just finished writing my first novel using a PB 17" and Notebook from Circus Ponies. The PB is awesome and Notebook is even better with its integration into OS X, ability to clip and store research from the Web, and the awesome way the contextual menu was designed.

Just my 2 cents.

Circus Ponies

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
If you think the iBook has a great keyboard then it really doesn't matter what computer you get. I think that it is the worst one apple ever made! But in all honesty you don't realize it until you type side by side on a 12 inch powerbook.
That's what I was going to say. The Aluminum PowerBooks will be amazing compared to the ibook keyboard.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
That's what I was going to say. The Aluminum PowerBooks will be amazing compared to the ibook keyboard.

Rowen
Aug 19, 2003, 02:22 AM

I'm waiting to get my Powerbook to start all my writing projects since i need something to go along where my epiphanies happen... or when i have the spare time in college. I bought final draft because I saw the nice OSX sticker on it, and i'm sure it will be better on the powerbook finishing things up

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by jsiburt:
I just finished writing my first novel using a PB 17" and Notebook from Circus Ponies. The PB is awesome and Notebook is even better with its integration into OS X, ability to clip and store research from the Web, and the awesome way the contextual menu was designed.

Just my 2 cents.

Circus Ponies
Thank you so much! This software is perfect for taking notes in class. I had been using word to take notes, and this program will be much better!

Thanks again,
cS

ima_pseudonym
Aug 19, 2003, 03:56 PM

I used a 1400c for years, and completely agree with you about that keyboard, it was excellent. Much better than ibook and ti keyboards.

The keyboard on the aluminum 12" I have now is even better though. What prevents me from recommending it, however, is the heat on the palm rest - if you are going to keep your left hand in normal typing position for chunks of time, you don't want the surface getting as hot as the 12" pbook does.

Though it is too late for mine, I am really hoping for others' sakes that the next version uses cooler running chips, or channels the heat somewhere else. It is otehrwise a very nice little machine, very portable, light, solid feeling, and (especially if you change the magnification in word, or whatever) a very useable screen.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 06:39 PM

The heat on the palm rest is not that bad... It is highly over exaggerated! I am a power user, its on all day crunching PS junk, the heat is not that much of an issue.

ima_pseudonym
Aug 19, 2003, 09:18 PM

The heat on the palm rest is not that bad... It is highly over exaggerated! I am a power user, its on all day crunching PS junk, the heat is not that much of an issue.
Maybe you don't find it annoying...maybe you have your PS scratch disk on an external drive so the internal drive doesn't get so hot...maybe using PS is more of a mouse-controlled task than it is a leave your wrist on the laptop while you type all afternoon thing...maybe you are thick skinned...or had better luck than I did with the heat dissipation of your book.

But don't say I'm exaggerating. I'm not. I find it annoying - enough so to get an exernal keyboard which I was never inclined to do for my tibook.

Don't get the wrong idea - I'm not saying the thing leaves burn marks on your arm but it is something Apple would have to change before I would whole-hearedly recommend the book to anyone who types for long periods of time.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 09:51 PM

But don't say I'm exaggerating. I'm not. I find it annoying - enough so to get an exernal keyboard which I was never inclined to do for my tibook.[/B]
The real reason MJ wore a glove on his hand? Too hot of a PB?

ima_pseudonym
Aug 19, 2003, 10:08 PM

Yeah, and maybe he had all that plastic surgery to repair the damage to his face after his imac hard drive caught on fire while he was sitting too close to the screen (I won't even hazard a guess as to what he might have been looking at on the screen to make him want to sit so close.)

iMacfan
Senior User
Aug 20, 2003, 06:16 AM

Here's an idea:

Why not use a PB1400 to type the novel on? I still hold that it's keyboard is even better than the Al Books, and because its such a slow computer, you won't have the distractions of 3d games, high speed internet and the like. Then, when you're done, you can tidy it up with all your up to date OSX apps.

Just an idea...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2003, 07:41 AM

My favorite thing about my 12 is it's keyboard, best I've ever seen on a portable and it's far better than most desktop keyboards. So far I've written 3000+ pages on it and it's been a joy to work with. BTW, my PB gets "warm" but only when it's charging and I'm doing CPU intensive stuff. Otherwise, it stays pretty cool. Awesome machine!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 08:20 AM

Wrong hand.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
[B]Wrong hand.
Yeah, I know. I almost mirrored the picture but that would have taken too much time!

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2003, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by iMacfan:
Here's an idea:

Why not use a PB1400 to type the novel on? I still hold that it's keyboard is even better than the Al Books, and because its such a slow computer, you won't have the distractions of 3d games, high speed internet and the like. Then, when you're done, you can tidy it up with all your up to date OSX apps.

Just an idea...
I thought of that idea. It would work for a novel. But not for a screenplay I think unless I did serious upgrades.

If you took a 1400 c what could you get that up to with upgrades and how much would it cost.

The biggest drawback is being able to print easily and sending e-mail. Everything is so simple now, USB, Ethernet built in, firewire makes a huge difference.

But it is a good idea.

I was just trying to see who uses what and very curious about the 12 inch powerbook.

But overall, doesn't apple just make the best damn notebooks? I mean don't all great writers use them? I'm going to say yes and go to sleep. now.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 06:31 PM

Personally, one of my favorite notebooks was the iBook 800Mhz in the 14-inch size.

Other than that, I'd say to wait for the 15-inch aluminum Powerbook.

17-inches is too large for me personally (like to grab it and go and the size worries me) and 12-inch Powerbook is too small without DVI.

So, go for a 14-inch idBook. It's cheap, sturdy, and works great.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Personally, one of my favorite notebooks was the iBook 800Mhz in the 14-inch size.

Other than that, I'd say to wait for the 15-inch aluminum Powerbook.

17-inches is too large for me personally (like to grab it and go and the size worries me) and 12-inch Powerbook is too small without DVI.

So, go for a 14-inch idBook. It's cheap, sturdy, and works great.
The 14" iBook, to me, is too cumbersome and heavy. Not to mention it's terrible native res, 1024x768 on a 14" notebook? Bleh. Not to mention the thought of buying a G3 would give it a feeling of obsolesence before even getting it out of the box. Sorry, IMO, none of the iBooks are to be taken seriously as professional tools.

Unless a person is doing a decent amount of Photoshop, FCP, InDesign work on it's LCD, the 12" is a great machine and perfect for any writer. I don't know what the big deal is about not having DVI. Sure, it would be nice to have, but there are plenty of very nice LCD monitors out there with VGA inputs. Plus, if you absolutely have to have ADC capabilities, Gefen makes an ADC-VGA box that (although not cheap) works quite well. I know a customer that has one and he's very pleased with it.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301

The PB 12 is top notch and by far the most reliable, in regard to repairs, of all the PBs. I've only had 4 come in for warranty service since it was released. 4! Considering how many have been sold in this area, that's huge.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules