Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3.0 - Some Information inc. Tethering/Usability

iPhone 3.0 - Some Information inc. Tethering/Usability
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2009, 07:31 AM

Updating to iPhone 3.0
You'll need iTunes 8.2 to update to iPhone 3.0. If you are updating to the beta, your iPhone's UDID will need to be on a developer list otherwise you won't be activated. On my 8GB iPhone 3G, I have 7.08GB to play with once it is installed.

Tethering
  • Bluetooth tethering works with 10.5.7 now.
  • USB tethering does work! It's as simple as plugging in your iPhone and hitting "tether" on your iPhone. I'm posting this over 3G right now. It does compress images a bit (the top banner here was a bit fuzzly and pixel-y) but at the opportunity cost of loading pages a bit quicker. Which is a good compromise, I think.

Note: it seems that carriers may be looking to charge you for tethering . Before I used a custom IPCC file, whenever I clicked on "tethering" it told me to contact O2. I can see carriers charging £X/month for the ability to tether.

MMS
I've yet to try MMS, it's a bit more complicated as I'll need to phone up 02. Will update this thread as I go along.

Cellular Data Network - IMPORTANT
In Beta 4 (same as Beta 3, too), the cellular data network page is blank. You can't use Apple's iPhone Configuration Utility to create a custom .mobileconfig file either, because whilst you can open it and save it on the iPhone - it saves to the wrong directory. There's no way to get it save to the right directory, either.

You can create a custom IPCC file to edit APN settings if you need to, but I wasn't sure how. Some guys over at another mac forum (I'm sure you can guess which) were able to create me one that works fine. Cheers, hackint- wait.. should I say that over here?

Cut, Copy Paste & Search
All work perfectly. CCP in particular is so easy to use, just double tap and you can copy everything or a selection, it's really very simple to use. It's integrated beautifully. Search (mini Spotlight) is also very nice - I don't think it can search into third party applications, but it can search calendar, notes etc and even your iPod.

Small Noteworthy Changes
  • Some icons have changed slightly - the stocks icon is a bit more 'graphy' (ie. not as curvy as it was before); the iPod icon has a few mini gridlines behind it; and the phone icon has these gridlines as well as an ever so slightly bigger image of a phone. I'll get screenshots shortly.
  • iTunes says you can't sync notes until 10.5.7 - but this means that you a) can sync notes eventually and b) 10.5.7 is definitely on the horizon, June at the latest.
  • Stocks does have 3 pages now for each stock. The graph (which you can now turn to landscape view - think Bloomberg); news; and highs and lows of that particular stock.

Overall
It's still in beta, but it's great. Everything just works, and I've had no instability issues. If you have any questions, iTunes or iPhone, please do ask and I'll do my best to respond.

I'll get a plethora of screenshots shortly.
( Last edited by kylef; Jun 3, 2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Bluetooth tethering)

ibook_steve
May 4, 2009, 01:24 PM

Are you allowed to post this info and screenshots? I thought 3.0 was under NDA. I don't think we would want you to get into trouble for posting this info.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Are you allowed to post this info and screenshots? I thought 3.0 was under NDA. I don't think we would want you to get into trouble for posting this info.

Steve
I'm not entirely sure, now that you mention it. Although everything that I have mentioned, with the exception of tethering, was all mentioned and shown live at the Apple event which many sites covered.

I'll look into this. Thanks, steve.

Eyenigma
Jun 3, 2009, 01:33 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic for tethering. I can imagine if AT&T will get in my wallet, they won't hesitate to do so. Would save bundles in airports and daily wi-fi passes.

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009, 04:09 AM

^ my fear is that carriers will try and charge for it. FYI, bluetooth tethering works with 10.5.7.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2009, 07:50 AM

LOL, when I see what T-Mobile is doing in Germany (charging $ 10 / month for allowing you to use VoIP via G3), then I have no doubts that tethering will be charged for.

The future is that the providers will milk the customers for a lot of extra things.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules