Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Application in both "spaces" window?

Application in both "spaces" window?
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 02:14 PM

Spaces is a feature that I haven't really made much use of. It's time that I started. I've set it up and everything is great - my plan is to use the left desktop for personal use and the right desktop for work use. However, there are several applications that cross-over between personal and work (I write app reviews).

It seems that if I open an application that is already open in my 'personal' space, it drags it across into the 'work' space and so it isn't in the 'personal' space anymore. Is there any way that it can, instead of moving it across, have it open in both spaces? It isn't so bad for Safari - where I can just open new windows, but for the likes of Mail and some others it's a bit of a nuisance.

If this is possible - would it hurt my memory? I'm on a 2.4GHz unibody with 2GB RAM.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2009, 02:34 PM

Have you looked at the Spaces preferences? You can assign applications to a specific space, or all spaces. That should do the trick for you. I don't believe Spaces uses much in the way of OS resources.

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Have you looked at the Spaces preferences? You can assign applications to a specific space, or all spaces. That should do the trick for you. I don't believe Spaces uses much in the way of OS resources.
I always saw that box, but for some reason just disregarded it automatically. Thanks!

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2009, 04:49 PM

Honestly I never thought to click it either and avoided Spaces so long because of it

Forum Links
Forum Rules