Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > More Automator Qs..

More Automator Qs..
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010, 08:36 AM

Once a week I have 54 documents that require some minor editing; changing a certain number; changing an address; and removing "Sir" or "Madam if necessary. Automator could speed up my time significantly. Here's an outline of the document:

--

Reference Number

Reference Number (repeated)

Name
Address Line 1
Address Line 2
Address Line 3
Post Code

Sir / Madam

Line of text followed by 'Address Line 1' (repeated). Line of text followed by 'Address Line 3' (repeated).

--

If I could somehow write an Automator action bringing up a few "Ask for Text" input fields, it would have my time massively. At the minute, I'm manually selecting the relevant text (which never changes its location or form) and repeating for each of the lines above. After 54 times, it gets pretty tiring. So, my questions are:

1. is the most efficient way to get Automator to select a piece of text through the 'Watch Me Do' action?
2. how do I move from entering the text into the "Ask for Text" dialog to it entering into the document where Automator has selected?
3. is using Applescript to Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste the most efficient way to get repeated text (for the repeated Reference Number; Address Line 1; and Address Line 3)?
4. is there an action to choose between 'Sir' and 'Madam' or should it just be another 'Ask for Text' field?

This could end up saving me a massive amount of time, so any help is *greatly* appreciated. In a single month I'm doing this 216 times. Even just saving one minute from not selecting and copying text equates to over 3 hours of time gained.

Thanks
Kyle

Forum Links
Forum Rules