Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" iMac and Mac notebook use?

24" iMac and Mac notebook use?
Yokohama
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2015, 11:39 PM

I'm using an early 2009 24-inch iMac upgraded to El Capitan. I'm thinking of going the notebook route for my next Mac, but because I do much of my work at home, I'd like to continue using the 24-inch display. I was told by Apple about a year ago my iMac port could not be cabled to a Mac portable for display use. Is there any other way of doing this? Maybe through the iMac's network sharing, a wireless connection or perhaps some kind of hub?

P
Nov 12, 2015, 05:50 AM

Sharing the display over the network is possible, but the experience isn't the best. That display is nice, but displays age (it is a CFL backlight, not LED) and a new display of that quality isn't that expensive.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Yokohama  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2015, 08:13 AM

Thanks for replying. I'll look into the price of large displays.

P
Nov 12, 2015, 09:52 AM

It might be worth keeping your eyes open on Black Friday, November 27. I see from your location that you are not in the US, but neither am I, and Black Friday appears to be spreading over the world.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2015, 02:00 AM

Depending on what you want to use it for there are also programs you can use

abyssoft - teleport

Is kinda kinda.

That said I absolutely love my Thunderbolt monitor. Though I imagine Apple is soon coming out with 4K and 5K monitors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules