Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb - A few 'technical' questions..

iWeb - A few 'technical' questions..
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hi

I have two questions regarding iWeb. It's great software, but can't figure out just these things:

1. Is there anyway to 'shorten' the page - ie www.kylef.net - see you have you scroll down? Would be very handy as having that useless scroll there is quite annoying.

2. Perhaps not an iWeb question directly - the domain. Understandably, it's pretty long. Any way I can get the URL to simply display 'http://www.kylef.net'? (I have my hopes, although with all the JS I can understand if this isn't possible)

Thanks

ibook_steve
Jan 15, 2009, 07:35 PM

1) What scrolling? The only scrolling necessary is for that last.fm thing. I don't see any scrolling on your page.

Oh, maybe you mean if the browser window is not tall enough, you need to scroll down to the bottom of the gray box. Is that what you mean? If the box is an object, you have to scroll. I would think that if the gray box was part of the background (select a Page Background in the second "button" in the Inspector under the Layout tab), you wouldn't have to scroll.

2) Depends on who's hosting your domain and the domain name. Is this MobileMe? It looks like it. I don't think there's much you can do if it is. Maybe others have ideas.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2009, 01:05 PM

Your resolution must be a higher / your browser window is bigger. I have to scroll to get to the bottom of the page. Here's a screenshot of what I mean (the red circle is what I'm on about). I'm not actually using mobileme - a seperate host and own personal domain, just the page created with iWeb.

Thanks for the help so far though

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
1) What scrolling? The only scrolling necessary is for that last.fm thing. I don't see any scrolling on your page.

Oh, maybe you mean if the browser window is not tall enough, you need to scroll down to the bottom of the gray box. Is that what you mean? If the box is an object, you have to scroll. I would think that if the gray box was part of the background (select a Page Background in the second "button" in the Inspector under the Layout tab), you wouldn't have to scroll.

2) Depends on who's hosting your domain and the domain name. Is this MobileMe? It looks like it. I don't think there's much you can do if it is. Maybe others have ideas.

Steve

ibook_steve
Jan 16, 2009, 04:16 PM

Like I said, it's because of the gray box, which you probably have as an object for the page, not as part of the background. Make it part of the background, and you won't have to scroll.

If it's not MobileMe, you'll have to talk to your web hosting provider to figure out how to do this. They probably have the DNS set up right now so that www.kylef.net has an alias that goes to that path that includes Site. If you are exporting from iWeb but not to MobileMe, you should just post the html files generated to your provider, and the DNS should point directly to the html file. It depends on your provider and what they can for you.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2009, 06:29 PM

you just need to change the vertical height of your page.
Using your current template, you can change the height to the minimum of 300px tall.

Open the inspector, chose the second tab from left, then choose "Layout" and change "Content Height" to something smaller.

Forum Links
Forum Rules