Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I remove the classic support from my HD

How do I remove the classic support from my HD
Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2007, 06:24 PM

I no longer need the classic environment for my mac, how do I remove it?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2007, 06:31 PM

Drag the OS 9 System Folder to the trash. Empty it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

real
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2007, 07:21 PM

Man! I love OS X.
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2007, 07:36 PM

Actually, it's OS 9 you have to thank for that. The entire system was held in that one folder.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Peabo
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Actually, it's OS 9 you have to thank for that. The entire system was held in that one folder.
That's probably the one thing I still miss from OS 9.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2007, 11:44 PM

Yeah, especially since you could easily transplant an OS 9 System Folder just by dragging it to another disk, with no special software needed. And you could rename the System Folder and put it anywhere you wanted in the file system, and you could have multiple System Folders on the same partition and switch between them with the Startup Disk control panel... it was quite nice.

Some of this would actually be possible with OS X - all the UNIX folders such as /usr, /bin, and the rest could be moved into /System with symlinks left at the root of the drive. To move the kernel, they'd probably have to make some changes to BootX to get it to look for it in the new location, but other than that, most things could work with no code changes at all. Unfortunately, Apple seems to prefer leaving that stuff at the root, with the consequence that there's over a gigabyte of hidden files on your hard disk.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 25, 2007, 08:09 AM

I also miss OS9, well the classic OS. While OSX is much more powerful and apt at getting the job done. Perhaps its because I cut my teeth on original "classic" macintoshs. I have a G4 cube to run my old apps and its nice to have a little nostalgia
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules