Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for CAD and 3D modeling package(s).

Looking for CAD and 3D modeling package(s).
gberz3
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2008, 06:05 PM

Hi All,

I'm currently in search of both CAD and 3D modeling packages for the Mac. I've looked into Blender and it is amazing as far as 3D modeling is concerned, but I'm not sure about how capable (or reasonable) it is to be used as a CAD application.

Anyway, if you guys have recommendations or suggestions regarding each type of software, it would be much appreciated.

Best!

real
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2008, 06:31 PM

With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2008, 08:27 PM

As far as CAD goes, none of the popular (AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc) or high-end packages (CATIA, UG, Pro/ENGINEER) are available for OS X. VectorWorks, ArchiCAD, and Power CADD are some Mac oriented alternatives; there's also BlenderCAD if you like Blender.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2008, 04:41 AM

From an aspiring architect’s perspective, the only apps that make sense to use at the moment are ArchiCAD or VectorWorks. ArchiCAD is arguably more advanced than VectorWorks in that it’s fundamentally all 3D at heart, whereas VectorWorks isn’t. That said, there is plenty of 3D design capability in VectorWorks, it’s just that it still segregates between different views and can actually be used as a 2D app. You may consider that old-fashioned and not cutting-edge enough, on the other hand, VW has less of a learning curve. Is it proper BIM like ArchiCAD? Opinions differ. I’m on the fence, personally: I’m more familiar/comfortable with VectorWorks, but I do like the ArchiCAD philosophy.

As for the ‘popularity’ of AutoCAD, I think that’s potentially misleading. Certainly, the application is pervasive throughout various sectors of the building industry, but using that as an argument is similar to advocating using Windows over OS X because it’s more ‘popular’. It doesn’t make sense. From the modeller’s perspective, the ArchiCAD-OS X combination is a superior choice to AutoCAD on Windows, which is an arcane, poorly designed app on an inferior platform.

The way I see it, the only thing that ultimately matters is the relationship between architect and client. If elements of the building industry are overly conservative and demand 100 per cent AutoCAD ‘compatibility’ (identity), that should not influence the software choices of the person who is actually designing the whole damned thing. Rather, he should use the finest tools available to produce the best product for his client. Anyone arguing that AutoCAD is somehow a better or even equivalent modelling tool compared to either ArchiCAD or VectorWorks is probably not a visual thinker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules