Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anybody feeling effects from the economic downturn?

Anybody feeling effects from the economic downturn?
design219
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 01:41 PM

This mornings staff meeting brought a little unsettling news. For the first time in 20 years, we (the company I work for) are running a little low on clients. I'm not worried about my job (at this point) but it is just a little alarming.

Anybody else personally noticing negative effects from this economy?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2008, 01:47 PM

Personally, no, not really. But 14 people (in an organisation of about 350 all in all) were fired at work a few weeks ago.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 01:51 PM

Not really, but a few friends are.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 01:54 PM

Yes. I work for an ad agency that specializes almost entirely on the flooring industry. The flooring industry is heavily tied to the housing market which is completely f***ed. All of the companies we do work for are completely hosed. We're still making money, but it's very scary. Their sales are down like 70% from 2 or 3 years ago. We do have the safety net of being super cheap... so we have actually picked up a few clients who jumped ship from more expensive agencies... but if this keeps up for a few more years, I think we're all out of a job.

We've had layoffs and are currently in a company-wide wage freeze.

My wife works for a construction company that does steel work. They had been rolling along like gangbusters until the economy caught up with them. Suddenly (practically overnight) all of the work kind of dried up and they went from having dozens of jobs to about three. Also a few of the big jobs they had been working on (the biggest being a huge job renovating a mall) ended up with the companies going bankrupt and being unable to pay.

Good times.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 15, 2008, 02:12 PM

I'm graduating and looking for a job right now, which is a bit tough since many companies are being cautious about bringing on new hires. Besides that, I'm loving the cheap gas right now.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2008, 02:16 PM

My wife works for a construction company that does steel work. They had been rolling along like gangbusters until the economy caught up with them. Suddenly (practically overnight) all of the work kind of dried up
Same situation where I work (emergency call centre for travel insurances): all of a sudden, nobody’s going anywhere, so we went from super-duper headway with more and more cases—so much so that we could barely hire enough people to keep up—to suddenly sitting around twiddling our thumbs because we’re too many people with not enough work passing through; hence, firings.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 02:20 PM

There's a nice feeling of unease at work. Apparently the first casualty was given a "lay-off" Friday.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 15, 2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
There's a nice feeling of unease at work. Apparently the first casualty was given a "lay-off" Friday.
And it wasn't you? How could someone actually spend less time working than you appear to??

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 02:42 PM

Life's full of small mysteries.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Life's full of small mysteries.
Yes, some smaller than others.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
This mornings staff meeting brought a little unsettling news. For the first time in 20 years, we (the company I work for) are running a little low on clients. I'm not worried about my job (at this point) but it is just a little alarming.

Anybody else personally noticing negative effects from this economy?
I'm in the same boat,
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 02:47 PM

my job is directly related to the construction industry - i work for the government and building permits pay my salary. needless to say, permits are down a lot, new construction has dried up and i was hired to help accomodate all the growth. unfortunately, government moves so slow by the time i was hired (2 years ago), all the construction was beginning to dry up.

the problems my wife and i are experiencing are; no bank will consolidate my student loans (instead of 1 payment for $300, i have 12 minimums of $50) and we can't sell our home which is 40 miles from my job. we did the "right" thing and bought a house 3 years ago. oops.

anyone know of a bank taking student loan consolidations?
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2008, 02:52 PM

Some of my friends are, as well as my dad. For me, it's actually been pretty awesome. I'm taking advantage of next year's super low APR for mortgages (4.5%) to buy my first house in the Bay Area for roughly %50 less than they were a year ago.

I'll actually own a house in the Bay Area, something I never thought possible when just a year ago the median price for a 3 bedroom single family common-wall town house was $700,000.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 02:58 PM

Talk about timing, my dentist just implemented a four day work week for a staff of 8.
"Either I lay off two workers outright, or spread the pain this way."

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2008, 03:02 PM

I have discovered the one shining "good thing" about a ('scuse me but bend over 'cause here it comes again) military retirement: my retirement pay isn't a "pension" but rather "deferred compensation" which doesn't change due to the economy, just due to Congress. In other words, while I'm not making tons of money, at least I don't have to worry about my income because of problems with the economy. I'm still getting something like 1/3 of my final pay, adjusted a little for inflation.

Sorry I can't help with the loan consolidation thing, but I only ever had one student loan and it took forever to pay that puppy off. Same with my wife and her loan.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Dec 15, 2008, 03:07 PM

we're doing ok, they made a point of reassuring us and we still got our regular (small) christmas bonus. However, there were murmurings about the future of ad revenue if big pharma gets hit hard and stops advertising with us.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Sorry I can't help with the loan consolidation thing, but I only ever had one student loan and it took forever to pay that puppy off. Same with my wife and her loan.
I don't completely understand the process - each loan is handled by either Great Lakes Higher Learning or Sallie Mae, they are all federal loans (Stafford, SELF, etc), some have starting to file in (graduated on Saturday with my M.A.) but they ALL hit by February, so I need to figure something out. All I keep hearing from banks, including big banks like Wells Fargo, is they no longer consolidate any students loans. The problem is each loan individually is 3.x% and if I consolidate as a personal loan that jumps to 10% but solves my 12 different payments problem. Hmm....

Maybe I'll get laid off, go back for a Ph.D., put the loans on hold, and become a Prof. We'll see.

All that being said - I'm cutting back a little, but we still have to live our lives.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2008, 03:55 PM

Yes, no merit increase for 2009, and as a new company policy, no more business class travel, not even on long haul on international routes.

Can't wait to travel to Asia in economy class next year

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 04:02 PM

I've been feeling it since the dot com bubble burst in 2000. Haven't had a salary increase since then. As a matter of fact, I've been making around 50K/yr less than I was in 2000. Right now 2009 is looking to be rough. I've only got work scheduled for then next 3 months or so.

I'm very concerned about my siblings in Detroit. They are all working either directly or indirectly for the auto companies (they're all in IT and Engineering). My father is retired from Ford (worked in IT at their HQ)... he's got a small pension and medical benefits that I'm afraid he's going to lose any day now. Rather bleak outlook for all of them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2008, 04:29 PM

My hours got cut a little bit at the main place I work. It's all right by me, because that just gives me more time to do other things. I'd really prefer to make teaching and freelancing a bigger part of my workload anyway.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I've been feeling it since the dot com bubble burst in 2000. Haven't had a salary increase since then. As a matter of fact, I've been making around 50K/yr less than I was in 2000. Right now 2009 is looking to be rough. I've only got work scheduled for then next 3 months or so.

I'm very concerned about my siblings in Detroit. They are all working either directly or indirectly for the auto companies (they're all in IT and Engineering). My father is retired from Ford (worked in IT at their HQ)... he's got a small pension and medical benefits that I'm afraid he's going to lose any day now. Rather bleak outlook for all of them.
Similarly I have some friends I fear may see some cuts that work for large companies here (MN) dependent on consumers ability to spend freely (Best Buy, Target, General Mills, even 3M - everyone needs scotch tape!) but I do know the Ford plant here that produces Rangers is shutting down very soon. They've delayed and delayed it but it's inevitable.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 05:47 PM

Luckily my area hasn't really been hit (so far); the local economy is still pretty strong. GM has a huge plant about 40 miles from here though, so some people I know might be affected very soon.

My brother works for a supplier for GM. He's a manager at a plant that puts together special packages on GMC trucks. His plant will likely be shut down sometime next year, and he's freaking out. He owns a house in Dallas (had to rent it out because he'd lose $20,000+ if he sold it now), a house here, has a one-year-old boy, and student loans for his wife. It could hit him pretty hard if he doesn't find a comparably-paying job.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2008, 06:13 PM

I will never understand why people own two houses, but still have student loans going.

-t

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 06:34 PM

We own two houses and have student loans still going. I'll explain why it's the case with us.

The student loans add up to about $60,000. The interest rate is at 1.25% for one and 4.5% for the other. Some of the interest is tax deductible, although that amount is decreasing each year as our salaries go up.

We owned a small one bedroom that wasn't big enough for the two of us. So, instead of selling and buying a new place, we just bought a new place. We're renting out our first place now at a net gain. We plan to own the first place as long as possible, probably until our retirement in 40 years and then sell it to help fund our retirement. We're also putting away about 15% of our income to retirement too. Until recently, we were getting a much higher return in it than we would paying off student loans.

The only debts we have are our student loans and mortgages. We have no other debts. We are currently paying down our second mortgage on our new place. It will be paid off by the end of 2009. We got it in early 2007. It's at 7.25%.

So, the reason we have two houses and still have student loans is because it makes more sense for us to do it that way. If we had worked on paying off the student loans first, we wouldn't have had the down payment for a new place that fit us better. So, we could have had them paid off but been miserable instead in a cramped place. Also, student loans are generally the lowest interest debt a person has. So, it makes sense to pay off higher interest debt first.
Vandelay Industries

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2008, 06:37 PM

The Mississippi River (Barges) always gets a influx of new hires when the economy turns to doodoo. The last year and a half I have seem some new hires right out of college working on the River until things get better.
For Arkansas I guess It just like everywhere else. Housing market,Construction in the dumps. Arkansas doesn't have much Automotive Industry for being a southern state. There are some but unlike other southern states.

IMHO I'm looking to the spring and early summer for this economy to get out of the funk its in.
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 06:41 PM

My partner and I have relatively recession proof jobs; he's a high school teacher and I work for a law firm that's booked solid with work through 2010. We don't have any stock and I don't make my first 401K payment until February; we rent our house. We both have student loans, but they're manageable.

Ironically enough, 2008 has been a very good year for me. It just sucks to see so many other people getting shafted.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 07:00 PM

As previously said the housing market is utter shite right now. The rich people I usually work for are holding onto their money and the regular people haven't got the capital to build an addition or new house.

I'm currently collecting unemployment and catching up on some video games.

Even all the tradesmen we know are either out of work or barely working. Electricians, plumbers, excavators, floorers, painters, etc.. all hurting for work right now.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 15, 2008, 07:00 PM

The only affect we have felt is cheaper gas.

Our yearly food drive was way beyond our expectations. If all else fails, I have enough non-perishable food to last a few years.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
The only affect we have felt is cheaper gas.

Our yearly food drive was way beyond our expectations. If all else fails, I have enough non-perishable food to last a few years.
I don't even want to know how many boxes of Kraft Mac n' Cheese you have now.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 07:08 PM

My job is doing fine.

In fact I've received 2 raises in the last 3 months.

My job supplies a niche market, so we have many different products for many different purposes.

Our main product is housing insulation, and we're actually picking up new customers, and other major customers include the military, and infrastructural clients.

freudling
Banned
Dec 15, 2008, 07:45 PM

So far so good.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 15, 2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I don't even want to know how many boxes of Kraft Mac n' Cheese you have now.
We had to move the previous stock out to another charity, and had bare shelves the week before Thanksgiving.

But after Thanksgiving... WOAH!!! Actually, just a few more than before, but the syrup and peanut butter stock is amazing!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 07:55 PM

Well, I have a Masters and I work in retail. Does that count? I have student loans coming up in January.I can't face those. My other half was let go last week. My 401K is garbage. I am robbing Peter to pay Paul. But other than all that, no.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 08:03 PM

We had to move the previous stock out to another charity, and had bare shelves the week before Thanksgiving.

But after Thanksgiving... WOAH!!! Actually, just a few more than before, but the syrup and peanut butter stock is amazing!
If this was the case, I'd go crazy with the Belgian waffles. Waffles + peanut butter + syrup = tasty (You can trust my math, I'll have an engineering degree in five days).

Railroader
Banned
Dec 15, 2008, 08:48 PM

I am all set!

Peanut Butter

Syrup

Syrup and waffle/pancake mix

Chocolate Chips - two layers deep

Mac n' Cheese

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 09:06 PM

Things are a little tight at my company, they're cutting back on non-core expenses like going to conferences and such. No layoffs are planned in 09 in fact we're almost one quarter through 09 (our FY ends in september). All bets off on 2010 but I'm in a small department with a little bit of seniority doing some specialized work so hopefully that will insulate me further.
~Mike

finboy
Dec 15, 2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post

Maybe I'll get laid off, go back for a Ph.D., put the loans on hold, and become a Prof. We'll see.
Better check the job market for PhDs before you jump in. Except for a certain, few areas, there are already too many, even too many given all the retirees over the next few years (many of whom will not be retiring after all).

Most PhDs struggle to earn what a decent mid-tier manager can make, and even then face a great deal of uncertainty. Unions give a little safety but drive wages way down, and tenure is no protection these days. Believe me, that's not really an option to rely upon right now.

OTHERWISE, I didn't start to see effects of the slump until folks began losing wealth in the stock market. Now they're scared. This "recession" started as a blowback from the housing "fix" and media hype around the election. It will end bloody, from what we're seeing now.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2008, 12:17 AM

I'll be graduating law school this spring and don't have a job lined up. I'm saving what I can working part time right now, but my health insurance just went up 20%. I don't even want to think about the loans, I just want a job for when I graduate. Anybody in NY or NJ looking to hire an attorney?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 10:43 AM

I work for a non-profit. No layoffs, but no raises and we have a hiring freeze, so I'm doing more work for less.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 10:45 AM

Our holiday parties went from flying everyone to Maui to Chinese Food.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
flying everyone to Maui
Jeez, what kind of work do you do?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 11:03 AM

*fap fap fap*

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 11:06 AM

I suspect that I've seen that picture before in another thread.

Are we into re-runs already?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I suspect that I've seen that picture before in another thread.

Are we into re-runs already?
There was a similar picture in the Kraft M&C thread, but I believe this set is new.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
There was a similar picture in the Kraft M&C thread, but I believe this set is new.
Alright then. But I will be checking expiration dates.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Alright then. But I will be checking expiration dates.
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...e/#post3711976

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2008, 11:44 AM

I think many people have started cutting back more once the word recession started getting floated around more. In reality, hearing the word recession over and over and over again has put it into more people's head that maybe your home is not your savings account anymore and you should plan for the future.

In my situation, since the home was purchased 3 years ago our combined income has gone up 2.3 times because we both started part-time and have moved into full time positions. Our mortgage payment has remained the same, gas prices are down from $4.19 a gallon to $1.66 a gallon and now I have student loans to pay back which I will get consolidated eventually.

Really, she and I could go out shopping and doing whatever we want until something happens. Jobs have always been cut and freezes have always occurred but now we hear so much about it we can't help but have it play into our minds a little bit.

By the way, not blaming the media for any of this, just making an observation.

Anyone think it's going to get worse before it gets better? I do. Much worse.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 12:14 PM

Anyone think it's going to get worse before it gets better? I do. Much worse.
I think it's going to be much worse than even the great depression, at least in terms of how it will feel to the people and the country. Why ?

Because the starting points of now vs. the Great Depression could not be more different.
In the 1920s, people came out of WWI, they were used to great turmoils, and lived comparatively modest lives. Now, people lived for years well beyond their means, gut used to a lifestyle that they should have never been able to afford.

For most people, the coming depression will feel so much harder, because the drop compared to the "before", will just be unbelievably great.

-t

elrah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2008, 12:17 PM

Anyone think it's going to get worse ... ? ... Much worse.
Me too.

This thread http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...tor-salvation/

I'm not going to see the movie for entertainment, more for the survival tips.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I think it's going to be much worse than even the great depression, at least in terms of how it will feel to the people and the country. Why ?

Because the starting points of now vs. the Great Depression could not be more different.
In the 1920s, people came out of WWI, they were used to great turmoils, and lived comparatively modest lives. Now, people lived for years well beyond their means, gut used to a lifestyle that they should have never been able to afford.

For most people, the coming depression will feel so much harder, because the drop compared to the "before", will just be unbelievably great.

-t
This is a very interesting perspective that I can say I have never thought of. I had to read it and think about it before coming up with a response but I basically agree.

It brings into 2 questions; What will "survive" and what will fall aside as we move through this financial crisis and will this start the consumer cycle again?.

As far as stores are considered, do we really need so many Target's and Wal-Marts? All electronic stores may become obsolete due to these stores. Essentially, a consumer goods store can stock anything and push other stores out. In 10 years will be forced to do all our shopping at 1 store.

If the consumer cycle starts over then we'll see more competition eventually and a similar lifestyle we were used to. I think it eventually get's back to this type of reality. Just not sure when. Glad I'm 27 and not 67.

Forum Links
Forum Rules