Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > itunes 12.6 install on mojave

itunes 12.6 install on mojave
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2020, 09:32 AM

I have a macbook air with mojave installed. I want to downgrade to itunes 12.6 because I need the apps.
Anyway I know itunes 12.6 is supposed to be incompatible with mojave, however I googled and found a suggested workaround using Pacifist software.

therefore I downloaded Pacifist software and tried to install itunes 12.6 and still can't get it to install.

the message is "You can't use this version of the application itunes with this version of MacOS. You have itunes 12.6.5." (by the way I also tried 12.6.3 which also failed.

I figure my other alternative is to downgrade Mojave to High Sierra, but I already have a lot of applications installed and I'm gathering that downgrade will lose all my applications, meaning that I would have to reinstall them?

Anyway ideas what I can do? Thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 22, 2020, 06:12 PM

Have you tried to delete iTunes 12.6.5 and then trying to install 12.6?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2020, 06:51 AM

hi, thanks for the reply, but I think there has been a misunderstanding. I had a more current version of itunes installed on my mac but I wanted to downgrade to any version of itunes 12.6. I have tried both itunes 12.6.3 and 12.6.5, both are incompatible with mojave. (I did use appdelete to delete the previous itunes.)

I was aware that they were incompatible but had read there was a workaround by using pacifist software, however that didn't work either. Since posting this message I have also tried an apple script that I found on another site, but that didn't work either. I also made sure that before doing any of this i disabled the sip.

But nothing has worked.

the reason I want to downgrade to an earlier version of itunes is because the later versions won't let me run some of my apps on my iphone 6s.

I think I might have to just downgrade the whole operating system to High Sierra, which is a hassle because I'm assuming I will have to reinstall all my applications again.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2020, 10:02 AM

I did understand the incompatibility part, but if the Pacifist workaround failed because the newer version of iTunes was installed, it might have worked if you'd removed the newer version. Apparently that was a bust as well.

Apple doesn't seem to "get" that not all upgrades are desirable to all users. On the other hand, that iPhone is pretty elderly, and while I'm sure you are as attached to it as I was to my old 5s. But everything was slow and challenging once iOS and newer app versions arrived. So when I moved to an iPhone 8, I was amazed at how smooth and quick everything was!

In other words, it's possible that your 6s (and sadly some of your apps) are the obstacle here, not Apple's unwillingness to facilitate downgrading OS and application versions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules