Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson Color 740i Driver for Mac OS X-- help!

Epson Color 740i Driver for Mac OS X-- help!
vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2003, 09:00 PM

I cannot seem to get my 740i to work when I installed Jaguar. When I click "add printer" from the print center, and select "usb" I see my printer listed, but it says "driver not installed" I cannot get the driver off the internet because it comes with the install CD, and whenever I try to install the driver from the mac os install CD, nothing happens. any suggestions? thanks in advance

���������������������
I want you to have my credit card number

reynard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 02:19 AM

I have a 740i too and I print with it almost every day under OS10.6 Curiously, though, it does day "driver not installed" under the USB printer list.
Yet it works. I don't if it has always said that or after some OSX update.

Is there any way for you to select it and see if you situation is the same--it works despite that no driver message?

The Epson printer utility is also available and fully functional.

I wish some other printers had as complete an OSX driver as the "driverless" 740.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 14, 2003, 08:16 PM

The 740 is included within the Epson drivers that are installed by default on OS X.

Here's the trick -- don't choose "USB." You MUST choose "Epson USB."

tooki

vod[k]a  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 10:37 PM

thanks guys, i got it working!

~vod[k]a

���������������������

reynard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 02:15 AM

Of course you have to choose Epson USB. Otherwise you'd be selecting the uhm, Canon or HP Stylus 740i.

Seriously, thank you Tooki. I mentioned in my above post that I was printing fine but it was disconcerting seeing the 'no driver' message.
I thought I was living on borrowed time and soon the computer would say, "Hey, he's been printing all this time with no driver, I'll put a stop to that right now!"

vod[k]a  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by reynard:
Of course you have to choose Epson USB. Otherwise you'd be selecting the uhm, Canon or HP Stylus 740i.
What he means is that rather than choosing to add a printer from USB, Rendezvous, etc, I should select "Epson USB" from the dropdown menu.

Thanks again guys

~vodka

���������������������

reynard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 02:06 AM

Regarding my "Of course you have to select Epson USB...", that was my poorly written attemp to poke fun at myself for not noticing that option on the list.

Only after Tooki's post did I go back and see 'Epson USB' as bold as it could be. Duh.

Isnt nice when you can get such help that simply and completely solves a computer problem? Thanks to you experts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules