Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > need help w/ Canon LIDE 30 Scanner

need help w/ Canon LIDE 30 Scanner
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 05:22 PM

I just got my new Canon scanner,

Do i need to really install the toolbox software, it says it'll work in osx, but only in classic,

can't i just install the driver and use it w/ photoshop elements?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 06:25 PM

Just install the driver, which is also the interface to the program through Photoshop/Elements.

I have the same scanner and like that it doesn't need a power supply and just USB. Its a little slow, but its a great scanner nonetheless! Enjoy

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 07:14 PM

I might as well send this scanner back, it can be of no use to me...

it won't install in my Photoshop Elements Plugins folder

has numerous errors

cannot acecss "NO67U" error=5000
'' '' "'CNQL20.DAT" error=5000
'' '' "'CNQL30.DAT" error=5000
'' '' "NO67U_Library.shib" error=5000
'' '' "NO67U_ButtonManager" error=5000

help me please
( Last edited by blackbird_1.0; Sep 11, 2003 at 07:33 PM. )
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
I just got my new Canon scanner,

Do i need to really install the toolbox software, it says it'll work in osx, but only in classic,

can't i just install the driver and use it w/ photoshop elements?
The Canon software is a real pain to install, and I've had to do it a couple of times.

Go here and download and install the first two apps. You'll probably need to reboot. Or install them in a different order. it's a pain. But it works fine in OS X.

Cheers
Scott

midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 08:31 PM

That is, there is an OS X native version of the software. It's ugly, but you don't need classic.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2003, 11:16 PM

Yes, I have the same scanner, but there wasn't OS X software in the box. I had to go to cannon's website to download the drivers. It's a good scanner -- I use it with Photoshop.

B.I.L
Sep 11, 2003, 11:42 PM

I own this scanner also... I once helped someone over at AppleInsider get his running; he didn't have PS7 to install into.

We ended up having him use GraphicConverter to install the plug-in into.

PMG4:533GHZx2/1GB/440GB/10.4
PB12:1GHZ/768MB/40GB/10.4

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2003, 01:10 AM

ok i tried to install the toolbox and i get this:

Error creating folder

1008.9-5000 Access Denied Error

Then after I click OK its says I don't have access priveleges

This is after trying to install in default (on Maxc HD), the main Applications folders, and the Apps folder in my Home directory

the same error

( Last edited by blackbird_1.0; Sep 12, 2003 at 01:23 AM. )

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 08:27 PM

someone please help me

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2003, 09:57 PM

Are you installing it in Macintosh HD: Applications: Adobe Photoshop Elements 7: Plugins: Import/Export?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

reynard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 01:57 AM

Im a novice but I'll relate my experience.
Software actually loaded without a hitch. I downloaded the toolbox first, as directed on Canon's web site, and then the scan gear.

Only then did I plug in the USB cord. I know that can matter on some devices--dont know if its a factor here.

If you want to start over, on that same web page as the driver is an app. that will remove the drivers from OSX. I guess this is to be sure you don't leave any part of the driver, even in the plist. Its called deldrv something (as in delete driver).

As I mentioned in another post, the little thing worked like a charm in OSX native. Loved it. Then, it just quit. The computer couldnt detect it. Don't know if this is a software or hardware problem. Tried in my son's Compaq and couldnt get it to work there either. Its in a Canon authorized repair shop as of today.

Good luck to both of us.

Cop Rock
Sep 21, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
ok i tried to install the toolbox and i get this:

Error creating folder

1008.9-5000 Access Denied Error

Then after I click OK its says I don't have access priveleges

This is after trying to install in default (on Maxc HD), the main Applications folders, and the Apps folder in my Home directory

the same error

Here's my suggestion.

Open up the Disk Utility application, click on your main drive then click on the "First Aid" tab. You should see a button that says "Repair Disk Permissions". Click that button. Once it is finished repairing permissions you may be able to install the software.

I was getting slightly similar messages when I tried to install Photoshop Elements 2.0 on my new PowerBook yesterday. Repairing permissions fixed the install problems.

If that doesn't help I have one other idea. If the account you're currently logged into isn't an Admin account you could also get weird access errors like that.

reynard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2003, 04:29 PM

Well, Blackbird, the LiDE saga continues...

If you recall, my LiDE 30 worked fine on OSX as far as the driver was concerned. I downloaded it from the Canon site. Then it stopped responding entirely. I deleted the driver and other software and reinstalled enough times, that I don't know where I left off. I even tried the included CD which claimed to have OSX drivers.

Nothing helped so I took it back via an authorized Canon repair shop. I received a replacement which is working fine so far--2 days.

But what I really wanted to comment on was the plug-in for Photoshop Elements. I never intentionally installed anything in Elements. So it was already there or it installed automatically. In other words, I don't know why you have to select Elements plug-ins to install the software. Maybe my version of Elements was newer and had the LiDE plug-in. I know that whenever I start it up it seems to check for updates.

I know its frustrating but maybe you can use Canons delete driver program and start over. If the damn scanner were not so good in some ways--small size, USB powered, quality scans--I might have given up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules