Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Playing media on the net

Playing media on the net
snct
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 09:59 PM

I'm having a problem with choosing the wrong media player when I'm surfing. At times, when I choose Real Player to play a link, it borks and doesn't play (sometimes Quicktime will try to play instead ) . The problem is... When I want to choose a different player instead (when the link originally gave a choice, of course), I'll hit the link again, and it still tries to use my first player choice, instead of letting me choose a different player. This is in MacOS X, but I'm wondering if this is more of a 'net' thing, versus an OS thing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
--Steve

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2004, 10:25 PM

Assuming you use Safari:

Safari->Preferences->Security->Show Cookies

and try to find the cookie of the site you're visiting and delete it. You should then get the option to choose your media player again when you visit that site (though usually they should have a "Change player preferences" or so link).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 12:13 AM

dumb question -- how does real player work on Mac? I have a radio site I want to listen to that requires it, but I've always been somewhat hesitatant to load it up.

Russian Mac fan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by bbales:
dumb question -- how does real player work on Mac? I have a radio site I want to listen to that requires it, but I've always been somewhat hesitatant to load it up.
WLS?

I listen to this station fairly often in both Real Player and an mp3 stream via ITunes.

Get back with me and I'll tell you more. I listen to net stations every day for several hours.

I mostly listen to WABC, KRLA, KFTK, WLS, KERN, WJNO, and KFI

snct  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Assuming you use Safari:

Safari->Preferences->Security->Show Cookies

and try to find the cookie of the site you're visiting and delete it. You should then get the option to choose your media player again when you visit that site (though usually they should have a "Change player preferences" or so link).
Ah... After thinking it over last night, I had a feeling that it might be connected to the cookie. I'm trying this in Moz Firebird, but I'll go look for the cookie to delete it, and try it again. The only other option was MS Media Player, which I do have installed. Thanks!

P.S... Yes; Real Player does work pretty well for streaming audio, with my setup (most of the time ). The trick with Real Player is being able to download it without giving them your cc number in advance; something I'd had a problem with for the OS X version, until I found the correct link somewhere else .
--Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules