Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chevy Blazer Owners Please Read

Chevy Blazer Owners Please Read (Page 2)
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I havent found any 2003 info from that source no.

Chrysler is still a tad higher than both Ford and GM in the "list"
I think it's all personal preference anyway. I don't buy Chrysler products because I managed to flip one. Kinda silly, but I'm betting that's just a good a reason as most can give.
I wouldn't buy Ford products either, until I was handed the keys to a work van that carried me all over the East Coast with no problems.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
I recently had my Venture into the body shop to repair a small dent.

The body shop is at a Chrysler dealer by chance, and they gave me a 2003 PT Cruiser "Touring Edition" as a loaner. It had 6,300 miles on it, so I consider that basically new. Anyway, I can't believe anyone would EVER buy one of those things. It rides worse than my 2000 truck! It had horrible engine noise, very loud and buzzy. My back hurts from the seat being so uncomfortable. The vent direction knobs popped off in my hands. The gas cap lid is the cheapest thing I have ever seen on a toy car. The visors kept falling down. The speaker covers had injection mold lines like a G4 Cube. My leg rested against the door pocket in a very uncomfortable way. The cruise control looked completely out of place and looked like it was swapped out of a foreign car.

A single plus in it's favor: I got it up to 113 MPH (though, I was going downhill on the Zilwalkee Bridge). Still, 113 in that little 4 cylinder was pretty impressive. I just wonder with the other build quality problems how long that engine is going to last.
Wow.. my neighbors PT cruiser drives nothing like that.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
wow i've never had a topic get so violently off topic so quickly.
Sorry to participate in the hijacking of the thread. When people make anecdotal statements about cars and they try to extrapolate that out to the car industry, I just feel the need to respond. I wasn't just responding from my own personal experience; there are others who, based on similar experiences, feel the same way.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:14 AM

I recently had my Venture into the body shop to repair a small dent.

The body shop is at a Chrysler dealer by chance, and they gave me a 2003 PT Cruiser "Touring Edition" as a loaner. It had 6,300 miles on it, so I consider that basically new. Anyway, I can't believe anyone would EVER buy one of those things. It rides worse than my 2000 truck! It had horrible engine noise, very loud and buzzy. My back hurts from the seat being so uncomfortable. The vent direction knobs popped off in my hands. The gas cap lid is the cheapest thing I have ever seen on a toy car. The visors kept falling down. The speaker covers had injection mold lines like a G4 Cube. My leg rested against the door pocket in a very uncomfortable way. The cruise control looked completely out of place and looked like it was swapped out of a foreign car.

A single plus in it's favor: I got it up to 113 MPH (though, I was going downhill on the Zilwalkee Bridge). Still, 113 in that little 4 cylinder was pretty impressive. I just wonder with the other build quality problems how long that engine is going to last.

BACK ON TOPIC: Why do you want a manual transmission in a Chevy Blazer anyway? The auto has a higher towing capacity. And isn't nearly so ugly.
Not that i would ever buy a Chrysler, but if its a body shop loaner, chances are it was a wreck they bought and rebuilt. And my reasons for going with a stick was $1000 off for one thing, and i wanted something fun and sportier than an automatic. Plus it gets better gas mileage. And I like sticks. Although now it looks like i might be going with a 6spd RX8, but if I end up with Blazer #4, i think this one might be stick.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 12:15 AM

I still say your reliability depends on the car model. Then again it gets annoying.

I do like the nice sit back and feel good european cars, their sports ones.. well they're fine but too damn expensive.

OTOH I generally hate asian cars. They have very high gear ratios and make a lot of noise doing just about anything.. reliable maybe but they're ugly too.

then again the 'domestic' stuff hasn't been much better in the past few years.. Right now it seems either people wnat the biggest most monstorous car money can buy or the tiniest piece of crap to drag your ass on the road. >_<
Aloha

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 12:16 AM

That and the 4.3l with the 3.42 rear end and 5 speed would be fun

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 12:18 AM

I've been thinking about a jeep unlimited. Any thoughts?
Aloha

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I've been thinking about a jeep unlimited. Any thoughts?
Yeah actually I do have a though. START YOUR OWN DAMN THREAD!!!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:21 AM

113 in a PT Cruiser? That speedo must have been wildly off! I've been over the Zilwaukee Bridge hundreds of times, and it's not that long. It is also a fairly steep climb, either way, so you would have had to been going at least 100 on the up climb, in order to keep the momentum going!

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
113 in a PT Cruiser? That speedo must have been wildly off! I've been over the Zilwaukee Bridge hundreds of times, and it's not that long. It is also a fairly steep climb, either way, so you would have had to been going at least 100 on the up climb, in order to keep the momentum going!
Depends on the Cruiser.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:24 AM

Not that i would ever buy a Chrysler, but if its a body shop loaner, chances are it was a wreck they bought and rebuilt. And my reasons for going with a stick was $1000 off for one thing, and i wanted something fun and sportier than an automatic. Plus it gets better gas mileage. And I like sticks. Although now it looks like i might be going with a 6spd RX8, but if I end up with Blazer #4, i think this one might be stick.
Nope, not a loaner. I am friends with the owner and it was the car his wife was driving and they plan to sell as a demo model. I was only the second driver.

His wife hated it too he said. Now she is driving a Pacifica and loves it. On a side note, this is about the only Chrysler product to turn my head in a ong time.

An RX8 or a Blazer... that is a weird decision.

A manual is only as efficient as the driver. Most manual trans. drivers I know tend to be a bit heavy on the gas and get worse mileage than most auto trans. drivers. But that is just my experience. YMMV

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:26 AM

Same Price. Blazer is very practical, RX8 is a damn good time. We'll see

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:27 AM

Truth is, Kilbey wont be happy unless it's a GM.

I don't blame ya.. if they were signing over my paychecks..

There just isn't a GM car I would want. Besides the Vette. And if I had enough to get one of those, I would just get a Viper.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:27 AM

I drive the Zilwaukee every day. I think it is over 3.5 miles long from start to finish. I work in Bay city and Live between Lansing and Flint.

I was going over 100 from Bridgeport to the 476/75 merge. I was topping out around 105 before the bridge, 100 going up the bride, and 113 on the way down.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:31 AM

I did 110 in my moms 92 subary legacy once, on RT 93 heading south into boston going from stoneham to medford... it doesn't take much of a downhill to get a car up over 100 MPH

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:34 AM

Truth is, Kilbey wont be happy unless it's a GM.

I don't blame ya.. if they were signing over my paychecks..

Not true Ca$h. (just joking). I will only own a GM made car, simply because they are my bread and butter. Would you expect a Dell worker to buy an HP? A Mac would be fine though!

I would own a Jaguar, classic Mustang, or Ferrari/Lamborghini(sp?) if they were given to me or I won the lottery. A lot of my friend's own non-GM cars and I am cool with that. A friend has a Ford Ranger pick-up that he uses for his sign shop business with over 350,000 miles on it. Only done basic maintenance on it. It's an awesomely reliable little truck! I'd love to own a Jeep to play around with. And if I didn't work for GM there are a lot of other cars I'd buy.

There just isn't a GM car I would want. Besides the Vette. And if I had enough to get one of those, I would just get a Viper.
What about the GTO? H2? Grand Prix? Aztec? Just making sure you're still reading!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:41 AM

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:47 AM

Given that most cars' speedo's are 10% (or more) off at speeds over 90, you may have hit 100 tops. The bridge is 1.5 miles long, and has curves leading to it, in both directions. If you're doing 100 on those curves, you've got more balls than I do, especially in an econobox.

Peace.
You are probably right about the speedo. I can't believe I was going 113 MPH

If you drive the bridge and watch your speedometer from start of incline to end of incline is is well double 1.5 miles. I don't know what they have established as a measurement for the length of the bridge, but I get over 3.5 miles from incline to end of incline. Maybe they are only measuring the open space they bridge spans. Or I am one confused MF.

Those curves look a lot greater in the picture due to the angle the picture was taken.

And lastly, yes, I do have balls.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:49 AM

Given that most cars' speedo's are 10% (or more) off at speeds over 90, you may have hit 100 tops. The bridge is 1.5 miles long, and has curves leading to it, in both directions. If you're doing 100 on those curves, you've got more balls than I do, especially in an econobox.

Peace.
From the looks of that picture, i'm sure nearly any car that can do 100, could do it just going down the part of the bridge shown.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:55 AM

Here's a larger version of the picture below:

I am measuring (estimating) the distance of the Zilwaukee bridge from yellow mark to yellow mark. I am including the span over the roads that the bridge also spans, not just the river is was built to traverse. As you can see, the curves are not that sharp. Quite smooth actually.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:59 AM

Not from what I have seen.

[img]http://webpages.charter.net/zimphire/forums/reliability.png[img]
J. D. Power.com Has given some pretty good awards to GM lately. I am always skeptical of CR's ratings. The customer is the ultimate judge.

This first one says the most.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 01:58 AM

Consumer Reports does an annual survey, based on actual customer response. I've participated in a few of them, and they ask actual questions, such as what actual parts you've experienced failure with. With CR, the customer is the judge.

Of course, Chevrolet is going to come out high on a customer retention survey. They sell lots of them, and that's partially because a lot of people follow the crowd, not looking for anything special. There are lots of cars better than a Chevy, and they cost more, but they also last longer and don't break down as often. The average Joe isn't going to spend a lot for a quality car, and he's willing to tolerate a certain amount of defects and problems. Most people are conformists as well, and they buy whatever their neighbors or family and friends buy.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 09:46 AM

What about the GTO? H2? Grand Prix? Aztec? Just making sure you're still reading!
Eeew.. all of them.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 09:47 AM

J. D. Power.com Has given some pretty good awards to GM lately. I am always skeptical of CR's ratings. The customer is the ultimate judge.
The Customer is the one that gave CR those ratings silly.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 10:52 AM

The Customer is the one that gave CR those ratings silly.
No, CR decided which customers gave those ratings.

J.D. Power has a larger independent customer base and greater reliability in it's ratings silly.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 10:59 AM

Go read KarlG's post.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 11:07 AM

Go read KarlG's post.
Go read my post..

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 11:30 AM

Go read my post..
I did. Karl already pointed out said flaw.

GM has really been slacking behind lately.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:29 PM

I did. Karl already pointed out said flaw.

GM has really been slacking behind lately.
No flaw. KarlG has flaws with his logic. He has no faith in the consumer. He assumes that people are lemmings and only buy what the neighbors buy. If people followed trends, we'd all be driving trucks made in Japan. He is correct that there are cars that cost more then GM cars and have greater quality. You get what you pay for. Chrysler products are usually cheaper than GM cars. What does that say? I have never found Chrysler to have higher quality than GM. We used to make fun of Chrysler products when I worked at GM Engineering. Couldn't believe anyone would buy such horribly designed products. Most came from the dealer with electrical problems. Rust on the underbody. Even the PT Cruiser I recently drove, the headlights would dim if I lowered the windows at the same time they were on. Unacceptable.

Car buyers don't buy from the same company if they have problems with their cars. Once screwed on a major purchase, most people don't trust the company. GM had some serious flaws in the 80's, they admitted that in huge ads in USA today a few months ago. All US manufacturers had flaws in the 80's.

You are like Ca$h. You don't like GM designs, so you assume their quality level is low. Sorry, but that is not the truth. We get monthly briefings at work about warranty issues with all parts built in our plant. If a part fails under warranty and it was built in our plant, EVERY worker in that plant hears about it. There are quality control investigations and the source of the product flaw is usually found. Our product quality rating is under 10 PPM. That's Parts Per Million.

CR has had problems in the past with their rating methods. They tend to portray opinion as fact.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 01:47 PM

No flaw. KarlG has flaws with his logic. He has no faith in the consumer. He assumes that people are lemmings and only buy what the neighbors buy. If people followed trends, we'd all be driving trucks made in Japan. He is correct that there are cars that cost more then GM cars and have greater quality. You get what you pay for. Chrysler products are usually cheaper than GM cars. What does that say? I have never found Chrysler to have higher quality than GM. We used to make fun of Chrysler products when I worked at GM Engineering. Couldn't believe anyone would buy such horribly designed products. Most came from the dealer with electrical problems. Rust on the underbody. Even the PT Cruiser I recently drove, the headlights would dim if I lowered the windows at the same time they were on. Unacceptable.

Car buyers don't buy from the same company if they have problems with their cars. Once screwed on a major purchase, most people don't trust the company. GM had some serious flaws in the 80's, they admitted that in huge ads in USA today a few months ago. All US manufacturers had flaws in the 80's.

You are like Ca$h. You don't like GM designs, so you assume their quality level is low. Sorry, but that is not the truth. We get monthly briefings at work about warranty issues with all parts built in our plant. If a part fails under warranty and it was built in our plant, EVERY worker in that plant hears about it. There are quality control investigations and the source of the product flaw is usually found. Our product quality rating is under 10 PPM. That's Parts Per Million.

CR has had problems in the past with their rating methods. They tend to portray opinion as fact.
I already stated that GM has made great strides in quality in the last few years. I also happen to like most of GM's designs. But I've been screwed by a flawed product, and there are better options out there, so the next time I'm looking elsewhere. Toyota, for instance, is nipping at Ford's heels, as far as becoming the #2 automaker in the world, and it won't be long before they pass them and start nipping at GM's heels, and that's in no small measure because they make a better product.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 02:33 PM

I already stated that GM has made great strides in quality in the last few years. I also happen to like most of GM's designs. But I've been screwed by a flawed product, and there are better options out there, so the next time I'm looking elsewhere. Toyota, for instance, is nipping at Ford's heels, as far as becoming the #2 automaker in the world, and it won't be long before they pass them and start nipping at GM's heels, and that's in no small measure because they make a better product.
You have a good point.

At all meetings when we discuss quality and the auto market in general. We ALWAYS discuss the strides Toyota is making. We RARELY discuss any other manufacturer.

But Toyota cars are VERY cheaply made. Slam a door on a Toyota and you feel like you're slamming a thin screen door. They outsource more than anyone else else. But, they hold their suppliers to a higher standard than anyone else also. Friends I have that work at auto parts suppliers often complain about Toyota and their treatment of the suppliers. They complain that they want the best parts at the lowest costs. They usually drop Toyota as a client because they get tired of dealing with the problems associated with being a Toyota supplier. They jump around from supplier to supplier more than any one in the industry. It will catch up to them in the end.

But I do wish we made cars at GM as high of quality as Toyota does. We are VERY close. The differences are almost negligible.
( Last edited by Kilbey; Apr 24, 2004 at 03:09 PM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 02:43 PM

Ok, so maybe I will look at a GM car again, the next time.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 06:19 PM

No flaw. KarlG has flaws with his logic.

No

He assumes that people are lemmings and only buy what the neighbors buy.

Or what their Dad always bought...

Chrysler products are usually cheaper than GM cars. What does that say?

Depends on the car. I'd rather have a Neon any day than a say Cavalier. Even though the Neon is cheaper, It's a better over all car than the Cavalier.

I have never found Chrysler to have higher quality than GM.

Of course you haven't...

I have.

We used to make fun of Chrysler products when I worked at GM Engineering.

Just like the Chrylser engineers make fun of GM products.

Couldn't believe anyone would buy such horribly designed products. Most came from the dealer with electrical problems. Rust on the underbody. Even the PT Cruiser I recently drove, the headlights would dim if I lowered the windows at the same time they were on. Unacceptable.

Funny, I know two people that work at Chrysler dealerships. They claim they have NEVER came with any such thing. One in awhile they would get a bad one. But that is how it goes with ANY dealership. Even GM.

Car buyers don't buy from the same company if they have problems with their cars.

Now that is totally untrue. I know people who make apologetic comments about when their car of choice breaks down. I know GM zealots and I know Chrysler zealots and I know Ford zealots. They will buy that brand NO MATTER WHAT. They get burnt, they make excuses why. Just like you are doing now. But at least you have a REASON you are this way. You work for GM. And that is understandable.
You are like Ca$h. You don't like GM designs, so you assume their quality level is low.

BZZZZZZT, I love the Vette, and the Monte Carlo, and even the Z-24. The first two I couldn't afford when I got my last car. And the Cavalier just didn't have a good history.

Unless they side with GM right?

They are actually nicer to GM than ANY OTHER domestic company.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 07:25 PM

No
Yes.

Or what their Dad always bought...
What about Grandpa silly?

Depends on the car. I'd rather have a Neon any day than a say Cavalier. Even though the Neon is cheaper, It's a better over all car than the Cavalier.
The neon is a good car for the money. It has more power, but it is not a higher quality build vehicle.

Of course you haven't...
Silly. I have driven plenty of Chrysler products. I am glad you have reaffirmed my experiences.

I have.
Liar.

Just like the Chrylser engineers make fun of GM products.
Now you're just projecting. Do you know any Chrysler engineers?

Funny, I know two people that work at Chrysler dealerships. They claim they have NEVER came with any such thing. One in awhile they would get a bad one. But that is how it goes with ANY dealership. Even GM.
"One in a while"? We have PPM at GM. (Parts per Million)

Now that is totally untrue. I know people who make apologetic comments about when their car of choice breaks down. I know GM zealots and I know Chrysler zealots and I know Ford zealots. They will buy that brand NO MATTER WHAT. They get burnt, they make excuses why. Just like you are doing now. But at least you have a REASON you are this way. You work for GM. And that is understandable.
Yup, but that is not the majority. I'm glad you understand.

Unless they side with GM right?
They rarely do. They love the imports.

They are actually nicer to GM than ANY OTHER domestic company.
So now you are saying they are biased? You sure have a funny way of arguing. They still have a very rare word to say anything good about GM. I trust J. D. Power for a more accurate independent rating than CR. Probably the reason they say nice things about GM cars is that they are nice cars to say nice things about.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 07:26 PM

*sigh* random thought: too bad apple isn't exactly an American computer anymore.. the company is but they sourced it all out

Damn.
Aloha

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 07:33 PM

too bad i can't lock my own threads. This is supposed to be about standard chevy blazers, not how some of you like gm's more than crylsers

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 07:38 PM

too bad i can't lock my own threads. This is supposed to be about standard chevy blazers, not how some of you like gm's more than crylsers
Sorry guy.

There's just so much to say about Blazer stick shifts.

And if every thread stayed on topic we'd miss out on quite a few good discussions.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 07:41 PM

...And if every thread stayed on topic we'd miss out on quite a few good discussions.
And we would have missed out on this one too.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 07:56 PM

Yes.
Ok, how about just your subjective opinion? Which is obviously biased because you are a GM employee.

What about Grandpa silly?
Them too.

The neon is a good car for the money. It has more power, but it is not a higher quality build vehicle.

That is subjective too. The only real problems the Neons had was a bad headgasket And THAT was the problem of the company that made said gasket. Chrysler changed it later on. The Neon had a better interior as well. And that isn't saying much. Believe me, I went through BOTH of them with a fine tooth comb. The Neon was a better deal in ALL aspects.

Handling, fuel economy, build, comfort, power.. you name it. And the Cavalier was about 4 to 5k more.
Liar.
No, really, I am not lying. I promise.

Now you're just projecting. Do you know any Chrysler engineers?

Yes actually I DO know one.

"One in a while"?
"Once" the "c' was left out.

Yup, but that is not the majority. I'm glad you understand.
Of COURSE it's not. Not that I was ever trying to say it was the majority.

They rarely do. They love the imports.
Yup, but they favor GM when it comes to domestic.

So now you are saying they are biased? You sure have a funny way of arguing. They still have a very rare word to say anything good about GM. I trust J. D. Power for a more accurate independent rating than CR. Probably the reason they say nice things about GM cars is that they are nice cars to say nice things about.
Or you trust JD because they say things good about GM. I know TONS of people that lie about their "product" for zealous reasons. Some don't even work at GM.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 08:44 PM

Ok, how about just your subjective opinion? Which is obviously biased because you are a GM employee.
I make my affiliations up front. I do not hide behind them. I just happen to work for a GREAT American car company!

Them too.
Don't forget advertising. A lot of people fall for that stuff too.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zimphire:
[B]That is subjective too. The only real problems the Neons had was a bad headgasket And THAT was the problem of the company that made said gasket. Chrysler changed it later on. The Neon had a better interior as well. And that isn't saying much. Believe me, I went through BOTH of them with a fine tooth comb. The Neon was a better deal in ALL aspects.

The gasket was designed in tandem with the engine. They made a "fix" to the gasket to remedy the flaws between the heads and the gaskets. I am glad they were able to fix them though.

I think the interior is a matter of taste. Personally, I like the exterior of the Neon better, but I like the interior of the Cavalier more than the Neon.

Handling, fuel economy, build, comfort, power.. you name it. And the Cavalier was about 4 to 5k more.
Handling is better on a Neon. Build, I go with the Cavalier. Comfort, the Chevy, again that is mostly taste. Power, the Neon.

Price, You are way off on this one.

From dodge.com

From gmbuypower.com

$13,490 - $10,700 = $2,790 cheaper for the Chevy. Even after rebates the Chevy is $335 cheaper.

No, really, I am not lying. I promise.
I'll trust you on this one.

Yes actually I DO know one.
Sweet.

"Once" the "c' was left out.
I didn't mean to point out your typo, I know what you meant. I just copied and pasted.

Of COURSE it's not. Not that I was ever trying to say it was the majority.
Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Yup, but they favor GM when it comes to domestic.
Why do you think that is?

Or you trust JD because they say things good about GM. I know TONS of people that lie about their "product" for zealous reasons. Some don't even work at GM.
No, I trust J. D. Power because they said some pretty bad things about GM for a long time and when we started to do things right they properly recognized it. They have a greater sampling rate and don't use feedback solely from the customers that complain. Statically, they have a greater degree of accuracy. It's rare that a manufacturer uses CR in press releases or advertising, but ALL manufacturers respect J.D. Powers.

I don't lie about GM. I don't avoid the bad side of GM. Recently I posted a picture of the ugliest car GM ever sold. It enraged Ca$h so much he ended up banned due to his reaction to it. Of course I put a little dig at his favorite Italdesign.com, but that is beside the point. I truly am convinced that GM makes some pretty good cars.

I will also admit that I am pro-American car buying. The Chevy Avalanche is made in Mexico. I have a friend who I work with buy one recently. I do not allow him to park it in my driveway. He understands my feelings, he didn't know it was made in Mexico until he bought it and everyone at work gave him a hard time about it.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 09:20 PM

Aren't some chevys and toyotas made in the same factory?
Aloha

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Aren't some chevys and toyotas made in the same factory?
Yup. GM and Toyota have quite a few agreements.

Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix is the latest.

And, from http://www.toyota.com/about/environm...cooperate.html

Toyota, GM Cooperate in R&D for Vehicles with Advanced Environmental Technology
( Last edited by Kilbey; Apr 24, 2004 at 09:38 PM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 09:54 PM

After reading the last few posts in this thread, I've decided that my next foreign car will take a trip to Kilbey's, just so I can park it in his driveway!

If you were one of my "friends", and you told me not to park in your driveway because of the vehicle I drove, I'd park it somewhere on your anatomy where the sun doesn't shine.

snct
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 10:27 PM

wow first on topic reply
thanks, thats what i was looking for, thats a pretty gnarly looking shifter, gnarly in a bad way. I'm not sure if i want one of those or not, BTW its 'img' not 'image'

thanks
I replied earlier in the thread, and my suggestion did yield some results:

Not a great picture, but it gives a good idea of what you're looking for. No need to thank me , but if you want to find the right image on the internet, you're going to have to do some searching. As you've said, the vehicle is kind of rare as it is.
--Steve

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 10:35 PM

After reading the last few posts in this thread, I've decided that my next foreign car will take a trip to Kilbey's, just so I can park it in his driveway!

If you were one of my "friends", and you told me not to park in your driveway because of the vehicle I drove, I'd park it somewhere on your anatomy where the sun doesn't shine.
Man are you a bitter little guy.

Sorry sir, but there are lots of people around here with the same attitude as I. Very common. 99% of my friends have the same opinion and a lot of them don't work for and auto company.

And a friend would understand that their purchases affect their friend's lives.

Just gotta warn you, you come over to my house and park your foreign car in my driveway you won't be able to drive your car out of my drive way. Not without some major repairs and body work.

Look KarlG, I understand that we'd never be friends.

Think about it, imagine you were a house builder and your friend, who is able to buy your houses, has a major competitor build a house for him instead. You could even give him 15% off the price and it would be cheaper for him but he still buys a house from a different builder. This is your livelihood. Every house you build makes you more financially stable.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 10:41 PM

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 10:41 PM

Kilbey you must live in the tri state area or arkansas or something.. geez.

Out here you see more foreign cars than you do american ones on the road, but I think that since we ARE in a capitalist economy the american car companies are suffering from their own decisions that way.

Let's face it. Some american cars (oldsmobile and saturn) are the ugliest cars on the planet.

Either way, I like three "truck" sorta cars, the jeep, hummer, and those really huge fords and chevys.. hehehe
Aloha

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 10:43 PM

That must be an S10 pickup, it looks like its one single bench seat with no console at all. Ugh!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 10:56 PM

Kilbey - Say you are interested in a certain widget. It is made by company A and company B. You do your research and find out that company A clearly makes the better widget. If you buy the widget from company A you would be supporting a foreign company. If you buy from company B you would be supporting a local company, but you would be buying an inferior product. Who do you buy from?

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
Kilbey - Say you are interested in a certain widget. It is made by company A and company B. You do your research and find out that company A clearly makes the better widget. If you buy the widget from company A you would be supporting a foreign company. If you buy from company B you would be supporting a local company, but you would be buying an inferior product. Who do you buy from?
What do widgets cost? $1? How inferior? Besides, I am not talking small purchases here.

Cars average in the $20k range. Bad comparison. And would buying the foreign widget cause your friends and neighbors their jobs?

I always try to buy locally and American Made. There are times when it is impossible, but I try. I shun Home Depot for the local hardware store. I usually pay more, but I get better product and I know the owner lives in town.

I pay more for most everything, but American made 9 times out of 10 is superior.

Forum Links
Forum Rules