Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 4G iPod

4G iPod (Page 3)
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by nbnz:
You've put the same post in every iPod thread!
Thanks for the link, those comparison photos make me want to sell my 3G and get a 4G.
sorry .. i notice people usually stick to a few threads (red circle on the peripherals page) and when there's a black dot meaning it's updated, they go back ... so i figured i'd cover all bases instead of starting a new thread (people seem to really hate too many threads, but are willing to live with a single post on a few threads). i just wanted everyone to see the new pix .. as i've been trolling the net and pics are hard to come by .. it doesnt show the click wheel glowing .. i am losing faith in backlit buttons (menu/play-pause/fastforward/rewind)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 08:01 AM

unfortunately no, there are no backlight buttons on the new 4g.

some good news, mine arrived at my local fedex place 45 minutes ago. bad news, i have class in 2 hours. please arrive before then

gkorsgard
Jul 21, 2004, 10:53 AM

I just received my new 4g ipod. It does feel thinner. Very excited to play with it after work!

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 11:02 AM

Just put a reserve on the new 40 at my local apple store (they just got them in). I'll be going to pick it up this afternoon.

brentsg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 11:04 AM

Anyone know when stores like Amazon.com will have these? I ordered a 40GB model yesterday b/c you get a free $50 gift card and the estimated ship date was the end of September.

I couldn't believe it was that long and wonder if they just have bad info.

Of course it's more than a $50 difference by the time you pay tax and shipping at the Apple store.

B

John G. Stillmank
Jul 21, 2004, 06:07 PM

Could some one of you lucky new 4G owners post screen-by-screen shots of what's under the "Music" menu? And any other menus that have changed from the older OS would also be helpful.

Thanks!
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 07:47 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...postid=2091684
pics, i created a new thread so there is a jpg orgy warning.

John G. Stillmank
Jul 21, 2004, 10:20 PM

Thanks!
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2004, 11:10 PM

So,
It's here and I wish I could say it is great BUT
There is an error after if starts to copy the songs, it usually copies a few and then I get the message that unknown problem wont let me add files. It is more sucessful when I run it with the USB cable directly into computer (the dock wont allow any songs to pass between). When I pull them in manually, it works, and when it doesn't it usually accepts it after the 2nd try.
(I reinstalled both iPod soft w and iTunes too)

Now I am brand new to the iPod and I am running on a PB G4 133, some of the music resides on an external drive....

Is this a New problem to anyone? Other's having it?
Is this the Rev A demon? Should I take it to the Apple store tomorrow?

A few Other Notes:
The scroll wheel is FANTASTIC. It feels almost like a later of fine flat velvety paper that site intop of the clear iPod plastid and yet below the select button, It works VERY intuitively and doesn't go out of control when other things touch it- ie it seems to recognize patterns

Also the in ear earplugs from Apple are tinny (treble!) and not nearly as good as the ones that come with...
Have others noticed this? I'll try to get my money back though they been in me ears...

I think I love it, but I can't wait to really use it
Thanks
J

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 05:31 AM

Also the in ear earplugs from Apple are tinny (treble!) and not nearly as good as the ones that come with...
Have others noticed this? I'll try to get my money back though they been in me ears...

I have heard about the tinniness before, so i am going to stray clear of those in ear earbuds. it seems many macnn forum posters hate sony but i gota give them a plug. check out their in ear earbuds .. the best earbuds i have ever used. i have gone through five of 'em since the first one generation came out, and i have one unopened package waiting to go in case these give out. they cost about the same as the apple ones, and come with three pairs of different sized gaskets. there is currently two models, the 51 and the 71. there is no difference in sound quality. just styling and material. in the 51's the stem is hard plastic .. (rigid) i find them more stylish, but the fact that they are rigid means u cant sleep on a pillow on the side of your head with the earbud in without discomfort. the hard stem sticks out. there is a way around this .. but it's not worth mentioning unless someone is interested in hearing it. the 71 in my opinion is ugly .. but .. it's soft silicone rubber, meaning it the stem will flex in yhour ear, making side sleeping with earbud in .. much more comfortable. it is more expensive, but it has one benefit. for people who use remotes, this earbud set is a short cord with an extention. u detach the one meter long extention cord, and u plug the earbud plug into your remote. now u dont have to tie up the remaining cord. if u dont want to use the remote, plug the earbud plug into the extension and it is basically the length of regular earbud cords. the sound quality is amazing, the response is 6 to 23,000? compared to apple's 20-20,000 (regular earbuds i think i dunno about the in ear ones). anyways check 'em out ... if u cant find it .. ask me for a link. happy listening.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

snct
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2004, 10:53 AM

Ordered my 40. It's due to ship on Tuesday from the online store (with engraving), and just in time too... The center button on my 1G 5GB seems to be failing . It's given me excellent service for almost 3 years though. Hope the new one does too .

Ordered the Belkin leather case for the new iPod, since the first thing I noticed was finger prints and scratches on the chrome finish of the old one (from about 15 minutes out of the box).
--Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules