Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Advice...eMac or iMac???

Advice...eMac or iMac???
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 11:20 AM

I currently have a 1ghz eMac with a Superdrive, 768mbs of ram and an 80 GB Hard Drive. I just got an 800mhz iMac G4 with a 60gb hard drive and Superdrive with 512mb of ram.

My dilema is I am giving one of them to my 12 year old for school work etc. I love the iMac but an I losing much with the 200mhz drop in processor speed? The form factor is a lot better than the eMac but is it worth the hassle?

I started reloading the iMac last night and transferred all of my data and programs but have not had time to mess with it yet. The hard drive is a little small for me...I gave 27 gbs of music alone so I think I will only have like 8gb free when I am done. If I keep it I will keep all of my music in my external FW drive. The hard drive looks like a bear to replace.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 11:26 AM

I dont think a 12 year old will be held back by the iMac. If anything, just throw another 512 stick of RAM in it, and it'll be perfect. That is if all they do is websurfing, itunes, IM's, and word processing.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 11:28 AM

if you plan on being close to your computer while listening to music, keep the quieter machine.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 01:24 PM

WHat size screen does the iMac have? If its 15, then stick with the eMac
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2006, 01:35 PM

I would keep the iMac, but also put a bit more RAM in it. The eMac is a great first computer.

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 02:16 PM

It has the 15 inch screen.

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2006, 03:20 PM

youre not going to feel that speed difference.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

Forum Links
Forum Rules