Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 2 RC3 is brilliant.

Firefox 2 RC3 is brilliant. (Page 2)
Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
So I have 2 windows open, each with a few tabs. So I start pressing apple-w to close the tabs one by one as I go through them. When I get to the last tab, I press apple-w and what happens? I closes the tab but doesn't close the window. Press apple-w, still doesn't close the window. How do I close the window?
CTRL-SHIFT-W

EDIT: Probably command-shift-W on OS X, but I'm at work right now so I can't be sure.
( Last edited by Turias; Oct 20, 2006 at 03:43 PM. )

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2006, 10:44 AM

I'll have to check it out, thanks.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Turias View Post
CTRL-SHIFT-W
Thanks. What a crappy mapping.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by aronnax View Post
One simple reason - FF 2.0 has more or less no changes in the rendering engine capabilities (Gecko) and it was never intended to change something there for this release.
FF 3.0 will have updates in the rendering engine part as well - and then very likely with fixes for these (small) test as well. Possible that 3.0 test builds have already these fixes.
Gecko 1.9 (FF2.0) includes significant rendering changes. However, passing Acid2 is waiting on a number of more major structural changes, last I heard, which should be in Gecko 2.0.

aronnax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man View Post
Gecko 1.9 (FF2.0) includes significant rendering changes. However, passing Acid2 is waiting on a number of more major structural changes, last I heard, which should be in Gecko 2.0.
No ;-)

just open - Firefox/About Mozilla Firefox - and take a short look

FF 2.0 RC3 =
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; de; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0
-------
FF 3.0 = will have 1.9
Global:1.9 Trunk 1.8 Branch Plan - MozillaWiki

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2006, 10:09 PM

I like FF 2.0, but not in love. The features seem tame after this much time.

OmniWeb won me back awhile ago.

BZ

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by aronnax View Post
No ;-)

just open - Firefox/About Mozilla Firefox - and take a short look

FF 2.0 RC3 =
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; de; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0
-------
FF 3.0 = will have 1.9
Global:1.9 Trunk 1.8 Branch Plan - MozillaWiki
Huh, my bad. Must have misremembered.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2006, 06:12 PM

I would think a release candidate release would not crash on startup.
Also takes forever to quit once you do get it running.

They didn't fix the page up and down behavior in text fields, so boo. This is the sort of thing that drives people crazy. Tabbing, text editing, spell checking, command keys, should all behave as expected in the host environment wether it's OS X, XP, KDE, Gnome, or TCl/TK. When people here mention look and feel they are not saying "yuck the buttons don't look exactly like the mac," they mean real issues with usability and consistency.

Now to be fair this thing is cross platform out the wazzu. It will run on twm which has no scroll bars or text fields, they had to roll their own. And as long as you are doing for one system you might as well use it for all. As a favor they decoupled the engine from the interface so you can have things like camino. Maybe they need to go further and allow for replacing individual parts like the spellchecker and text editing fields with parts available in the host environment if possible. Does windows have a universal spell checker? Does Gnome have a standard search dialog? Can IceWM provide a text edit box?

I think we're stuck with "it's pretty close, and there's always camino"

It does start faster. I think it looks better, chrome-wise.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

eobet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 05:52 PM

Seems that Firefox 2.0 final is out, and immediately I spotted an age old bug:

Typing text in a text input window places the text cursor at the wrong position and degrades the text the longer you type, until you can't see what you are deleting or typing anymore.

Damn poor.

Also, the smooth scrolling still sucks compared to Safari/Shiira.
MBP 1.83 week 12 512mb + 1024mb Corsair memory

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2006, 06:43 PM

Could you explain how this problem can be reproduced? I've never experienced what you are describing...

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 10:28 PM

My opinion on Firefox 2 after 10 minutes of use:

Meh. Safari's better. Soon as I hit "Post Quick Reply" below, my next action will be Command-Q.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 10:40 PM

I use Firefox at work on a PC and enjoy it compared to IE.

However, I have just never liked it as much as Safari on my Macs. Just tried 2.0. Still scrolls slowly, the preference box feels like mud. Don't like the default look.

Yeah, you can extend it and skin it and so forth. Too much work for me. I'll stick with Safari.

Maybe it works better on the Intel Macs but I wouldn't know yet.

eobet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Could you explain how this problem can be reproduced? I've never experienced what you are describing...
Just type some letters into any text input box, basically. I'm doing it right now... but... it seems to only work on certain sites, like for example, Penny Arcade.

On that site, whenever I type a long sentence into the reply text input box, the text position cursor starts to lag behind the actual letters, drawing itself on top of letters, until I can't see the last letter I typed, the the last word, etc. etc. This makes both typing and deleting very difficult.

I wonder if it has to do with language encodings and/or the particular font Firefox uses.

I'm using a Swedish OS X, with Swedish Firefox 2.0.

Where can I report this "officially"? The feedback thingy built into Firefox doesn't work for me.
MBP 1.83 week 12 512mb + 1024mb Corsair memory

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 02:07 AM

Theodour
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 06:43 AM

I like the built-in spell checker. That is very helpful. I have to agree with other posters though that Safari will still be my main browser. Here is why.

1. System-wide dictionary
2. Services
3. The ability to toss a page, formatting intact, to cocoa apps like Text-edit.

3 is probably the standout feature.
However, I use Firefox frequently ... like for logging into my school, which is inconsistent with safari.

Forum Links
Forum Rules