Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Automatic Internet disconnection?

Automatic Internet disconnection?
Jaguar
Jan 30, 1999, 12:26 PM

Using OS 8.5 and an ISP that says it doesn't disconnect for inactivity, my computer disconnects itself after about 10 minutes of inactivity.

What's is going on? If there is a control in the computer that handles this, I can't find it. Who knows something about this?

Thanks for helping. Someone out there knows a lot more than I do about this stuff.

DH
Jan 30, 1999, 03:06 PM

Look into the Remote Access/PPP control panel. Click on "Options" there is an option to disconnect after inactivity of xx minutes....uncheck that box

AJDimac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 1999, 03:50 PM

I have also found myself being disconnected, sometimes several times in a row, whether I am active or not. It seems to be a degredation of the protocol compression until the link is dropped.

Anyone have any experience in trouble shooting these connections?

kigmaker
Feb 1, 1999, 02:29 AM

If, after taking the above measures you would still like to increase your uptime, then either try a third party utility that will poll your connection every 5 or 10 minutes or set your email application to check your account at the same intervals. I've found my connect rates go from the usual 2 - 4 hours/connect to 8 - 12 hours/connect without interruption.

Jaguar
Feb 5, 1999, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the answers so far. BUT my Remote Access Control Panel (Mac OS 8.5.1) doesn't have an option selection. ???

I am using Eudora to check the mail every few minutes until this gets fixed,

Marc Norman
Feb 6, 1999, 08:23 AM

Try opening remote acess via the control strip. To the left of the connect/disconnect button, you should see the options button. There is no options button on the remote access window via the apple menu.

Marc Norman

Jaguar
Feb 6, 1999, 05:01 PM

Thanks for suggesting the difference between opening Remote Access from the control panel Instead of directly from the apple menu.

However all I have to the left of the Connect/Disconnect button is the Help question mark which takes my to OC Help which doesn't cover the issue of automatic disconnects.

The message I most recently got was: "Your connection was terminated because of a lack of network activity."

RossMAN
Feb 7, 1999, 09:36 PM

Jaguar: You need to access the Remote Access control panel. It sounds like you have attempted this a few times and have been unsuccessful. I'm concerned if you even have this Remote Access control panel in the area of your System Folder. Since I do tech support, I'd be more than willing to help out another Apple Mac user. I'd be willing to call you on the phone (for free), should have your problem solved within at least 3 minutes. Just E-mail me at [email protected] with your name, phone number and the best date/time to call you.

------------------
Proud iMac owner
rev. B Bondi Blue $999

Jaguar
Feb 9, 1999, 02:18 PM

Thanks everybody. Now that I know what I needed so it seems simple. I could look aat the Remote Access controlpanel all day and not see any options button. BUT that little triangle at the top with "setup" next to it was the key I didn't know about. Click it and lo and behold an Options button appeared below mgy setup stuff that I had long ago forgotten about. I was set to disconnect after 10 minutes of "inactivity". No more.

Thanks everybody,
Norm

Forum Links
Forum Rules