Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.7 sleep

10.5.7 sleep
Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2009, 07:35 PM

Since updating to 10.5.7 my machine will not sleep. I have repaired permissions but my G5 still does not want to sleep. Has anybody else had this problem and has anybody figured out a solution?

Cold Warrior
May 13, 2009, 08:12 PM

Download the 10.5.7 combo updater. Install it. If that doesn't help, reset your Mac's PRAM then (if still not fixed) reset the SMC.

Back up 15 and punt  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Download the 10.5.7 combo updater. Install it. If that doesn't help, reset your Mac's PRAM then (if still not fixed) reset the SMC.
I reset both the PRAM and SMC and it did not help.
:

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2009, 02:37 AM

So what about applying the combo updater?

Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update

Back up 15 and punt  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009, 09:56 AM

Yes, I have already applied the 10.5.7 combo update.

daqman
Forum Regular
May 15, 2009, 07:55 AM

I installed 10.5.7 the evening of the day it was released and ever since I've had issues with sleep. This is on a last generation black MacBook.

Symptoms:
I close the lid and sometimes the apple on the back of the lid stays lit and the small LED on the front edge stays lit, i.e. doesn't blink slowly as it does when sleeping. When the lid is opened the screen is dark but you can see the faint outlines of windows etc if you hold it at the right angle. No amount of pressing keys, clicking mouse etc will make the screen light up.

Other times the machine appears to be asleep but won't wake up or appears to sleep normally but then reverts to the state described above where all the LEDs are on but the screen is dark and the laptop starts to get hot.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2009, 05:29 PM

Shutdown the computer and remove the battery, wait at least 20 minutes or longer, then put the battery back in and power on the computer.

Results may vary........but this should fix the problem.

daniael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2009, 02:19 AM

hello,
i'm having similar issues.. but sometimes is does seem to sleep, but then after a while the fan turns on while closed and freezes the system.
same black macbook......

robcee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2009, 07:52 AM

I'm having the same sleep issues mentioned by others with my MBP. Worse, my Mac Pro is spontaneously waking up from sleep.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 16, 2009, 09:42 AM

Just a general tip for everyone:

For any sleep or power management issues (such as USB or Firewire ports not working) your first troubleshooting act should be to (a) restart your Mac and see if it goes away; then it should be to (b) reset the power management. How you do this varies from Mac to Mac, so you will need to go to Apple's Support website to search for instructions on how to do it for your own. The term to search for is PMU for older Macs and SMU for newer ones.

There are no guarantees the reset will work, but it is the first step to take.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2009, 09:54 AM

Why are there always so many vaguely documented tricks to applying updates to an OS that is supposed to "just work"? This is *exactly* why I rarely update my Mac OSs.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2009, 07:33 PM

Perhaps you should Back up 15 and punt?

Do you have a backup to restore? I never install an update without making a fresh, full backup first. (I learned my lesson a few years back.)

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

antonb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2009, 07:00 PM

I have tried all the required remedies from permission repair, reset of pram and nvram, and a complete clean install. Auto sleep function works fine until the 10.5.7 update no matter if it's a single or combo, in regular or safe mode.. What I discovered with my unit is if you leave a media disk (CD or DVD) in the INTERNAL opitcal drive without DVD player or iTunes active mounted or unmounted the machine enters sleep mode. It also works with disk utitlity acitve. I have yet to try this with other apps. Tried this on my eMac which exhibited the same problem and it worked. There is definitely a bug in this update. What I have shown is a silly work-around. I hope someone can come up with a better idea.

Forum Links
Forum Rules