Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Os 9.1 to 9.2 and now the comptuer is slow

Os 9.1 to 9.2 and now the comptuer is slow
Crombie914
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2002, 09:58 PM

Help, I just upgraded my system software to OS 9.2.2 from 9.1 and any time I type, it takes forever for the text to appear when i type, especially in Microsoft Word 2001. I have about 30 comptuers in my lab, and this is specificly effecting 5 white and blue G3 towers with 300 mzh processors and 64 mbs of ram. Anythign that you could suggest that could help would pe appreciated. Thanks John

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2002, 10:57 PM

just some ideas...
check & see if appletalk is on...
check your internet connections.
are you networked?

i've seen this (happened to me), where the mac is trying to connect to...something.

anyone else?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Cipher13
Jun 6, 2002, 10:35 AM

So many times, I warned people... pay no attention, they will.

Oh well.

CarbonLib is most likely the culprit. Upgrade or downgrade it.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 04:58 PM

Hi Crombie,
I think the key is the 64MB of ram... you'll I'm sure it is the ram overhead of the system plus word that is giving you the problems... my guess is that you are running virtual memory which exacerbates the problem... basically memory is paged to VM which really drags the performance of your whole system down. If you can get your building to buy memory for your machines (which is actually pretty cheap), you will notice a big difference... With OS9 (any iteration), you really should try to have at least 128 MB...
good luck,
dave
BTW, are you in an Elem, MS, or HS? just curious... I am in education, as well

Crombie914  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2002, 08:25 PM

thanks for all your help everybody, i downgraded my carbonlib and it seems to work just like old times. I think the systems do have 128 mbs of ram, so that probalby helped to, and I am in elementry. Thanks again John Bureau

<chris.p>
Jun 12, 2002, 08:38 AM

i had to downgrade cd/dvd extension to 1.4.3 - i was getting the same problems you were- if it lags after about 30 mins, this may be the problem , or partly causing it

Forum Links
Forum Rules