Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6100/G3 as living room media centre

6100/G3 as living room media centre
HashPipeK
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2002, 01:51 PM

OK we've got a 6100/G3 240 here and the pc head roommate im living with said show us what the mac can do. turn this into our answering machine, get it to play mp3's from all the ocmputer on the network, and get it to play our movies. Well ive got the mp3's down. should have the voice mail thing down when i trade for a voice modem. but alas whata bout the movies. got it running os 9.1 right now. what format movies can/will run best on this....they want VCD and SVCD but so far no luck getting either one working. Also any other ideas on software i should throw on here please let me know. once i get it set up we are going to pull the monitor and just have it go to the TV out from the AV card and VNC in to control it. if i can get that working though, the VNC server for mac likes to crash alot. but that could be cuz of the dual monitors right now so we'll have to see. if not might have to bite the bullet and grab timbuktu. anyways ideas for software or movie formats let me know your ideas.
WSUP Program Director and Mac Fanatic

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2002, 02:24 PM

That seems like a good idea, the only problem is that the 240 MHz machine with the 30 MHz bus might not have enough balls to play high end movies like VCDs or DIVX, and probably not DVD's either with a drive, but I coudl be wrong.

HashPipeK  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2002, 02:32 PM

yeah i know but if i could get them to work at least then i could see if it doesnt have the oomph to play them...if the mac cant be the media centre. a PC will take its place and PC head roommates will continue to rip on mac. i guess they are just insecure about their computers.

HashPipeK  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2002, 02:42 PM

yeah i know but if i could get them to work at least then i could see if it doesnt have the oomph to play them...if the mac cant be the media centre. a PC will take its place and PC head roommates will continue to rip on mac. i guess they are just insecure about their computers.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2002, 09:29 PM

Looks like you have MP3 down, and there are voicemail applications which will run on your system.

The Mac can play VCD's and SVCD's. Several apps exist to play them; a search on <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com" target="_blank">VersionTracker</a> for "vcd" found four (I'll let you decide which is best for you, since I have not yet found any). But you'll probably have only just barely enough oomph to play VCD's, and I doubt you'll get SVCD's to play at all, or at least not MPEG2-based SVCD's. That's just a limitation of your machine, though, not MacOS.

DivX-wise: codecs exist (including one right from the DivX guys), but I wouldn't even bother trying them on your setup. It just doesn't have what you'll need to be able to play them smoothly.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2002, 11:03 PM

Tell them that to pull any platform based attitude on ya, they have to accomplish this using a motherboard that was also brought to the market in March, 1994.

That means the PC was born with a Pentium 1 at 90 or 100 Mhz.

I'll be _very_ impressed if they succeed within those limitations.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules