Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9600MP

9600MP
Vanquish
Jun 11, 2002, 03:00 PM

Is a PowerMac 9600/200MP mhz 604e any good or am I better off with a 9600/350 ?
And if that 200MP is any good is it capable of running Mandrake Linux with the two processors being used ?
Do these have 10BT or 10/100BT Ethernet ?

(Other question: is the Apple Network Server 500 or 700 any good, for real server use (these days), are they expandable and does the AI/X have a graphical interface or is it pure CLI ? or should I better install OS8/9 or Mandrake/Red Hat/Other Linux)

-Vanquish

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 03:26 PM

As far as I know you can run Mandrake with both processors being used, but I'm not sure whether it's actually faster than a 350MHz CPU. In some cases it might be, but in general, the 350MHz CPU would be better.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 03:40 PM

Hey Vanquish,
In terms of running the "classic" OS (meaning anything other than X), you won't see any real performance gains from the MP machine (with the exception of programs specifically written to take advantage of MP's... ie Photoshop and a couple of others). Within OSX, there is system level support for OSX, HOWEVER, in order to install X on one of these machines, you would need a G3 or G4 upgrade card. So to answer your question, IMHO, I would go with the 9600/350 if I was running general applications, the 9600MP if I was going to use it for MP enabled programs, but you might also consider buying a low end iMac or other G3, depending on your needs/budget, because they can be had pretty inexpensively now-a-days.
That being said, I'm not too familiar with Linux and how the variants are written for PPC, so you might want to post your question in the <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=28" target="_blank">Linux on Mac Forum</a> . You also might want to investigate Yellow Dog Linux.
The 9600 series had 10BT...
good luck!
dave

OpenStep
Senior User
Jun 11, 2002, 03:45 PM

I have a Network Server 500. It came with AIX installed... aix does have a GUI but it's CDE... not pretty. I erased all the drives and loaded on Yellowdog with no porblems. The only catch is with linux on the ANS you can't run XFree or any GUI (there aren't video drivers for it yet and everything appears garbled). But running it from the cli it is still a good ftp/web/mail server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules